It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-11-2007, 07:03 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
Parent needs quick education on smoking cocaine and if I found it's liquid form

I know my son is doing coke. I believe he is smoking it.

I let him stay with me for two days and found a white spot on my rug and what looks like a possible burn spot.

I found a lighter too.

I found a little container with liquid in it all crusty white on top.

I researched this on the internet and it says they can turn coke into a liquid form and free base it. I need information on this.

How can I test the liquid?
what would it taste like?

Need to know. My son is in hospital, suicidal again with his bipolar but also had pyschotic episodes and I can't get through his thick skull it is possibly coke related or making his bipolar psychosis worse!

Help, cram315

Old 08-11-2007, 05:21 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User
Re: Parent needs quick education on smoking cocaine and if I found it's liquid form

when you mix coke with baking soda and water you can cook it and it becomes crack. sounds like it to me. if the "crust" at the top of the container tastes like baking soda that would be a big clue. i wish your son well and hope the hospital can help with his addiction as well.

God Bless,

Michelle

Last edited by oh-notagain; 08-11-2007 at 05:22 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Parent needs quick education on smoking cocaine and if I found it's liquid form

Dearest Cram

We have never written back and forth, but I certainly know whom you are and bits of the story with yoor son. I am so very, very sorry that this has occured. I know how much you love your son and how very, very painful this is.

I don't know much about how street drugs look. However, a sixth-grader, 15years ago, asked me if she could tell me something. She told me her mother was selling crack. Then she showed me scars on her leg where her mom had beat her with a lamp cord after making her take a real hot bath. She beat her with that lamp cord and then poured rubbing alcohol into it. I was reeling quite a bit as this was a new thing to me at that time. I hugged the kid and sat and cried in my administrator's office as I told what had happened. Children's Services were called and a meeting set for the next day.

Before school the next morning, the girl came and found me and handed me these three little brown vials and said she had taken them out of a cloth bag ij her mother's closet and that she brought them to me because she wanted me to believe her and do something about everything. There was a white powder inside. The police came and took them and the stuff was analyzed at the state lab and sure enough was crack cocaine. There was no arrest made, (remember this was 15 years ago), but an investigation was done. The child ended up being removed from the home and placed with her Grandma.

I think that the police could help you with this if you explained what has happened. Or maybe even the doctors at a local hospital. It is so common now that one of them might just recognize it. I can not begin to imagine how hard this would be to do, but I believe if it were my own son in jeopardy, I would do what I had to. I know you have done what you have had to in the past from reading some posts by you.

Also, I do not know if you are familiar with a poster named Xant? She was in here for a short while only trying to understand what was going on with her son. I continued to post with her on a couple of other boards over time, although I do not see her on much anymore. Her son is also bipolar and had gotten into drugs. He lived with his Grandmother in another country. Ended up hospitalized in that country. He was diagnosed with cocaine-induced schizophrenia and was psychotic. Cram... he is getting help in the hospital now. He is going to be in there for quite a while, but is slowly making progress. He, like your son, needs so much help.

Maybe you can check out Xant's posts and see if she is still aboard the site anywhere. I am sure she would have much to share with you. She is a nice woman.

Cram, I am not sure of what else to say. I hurt for you, your son and your family. I can't claim to know everything about adiction, because I know I don't. However, I can make some claim to understanding how unbelievably horrible deep depression feels and if bi-polar means going ffrom feeling great to sinking low, low into depression, then I have some understanding of why your son would do such drastic things to escape. Of course it is not an okay thing to do, but I can't help but have sympathy for his suffering as well as yours.

I wish you peace as you continue to love your son and do the hard things you must in trying to help him.
reach

Old 08-11-2007, 06:34 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

crack is a made as a cheaper form of cocaine...coke is very expensive..

Old 08-11-2007, 07:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Thank you, all. I may ask a friend who is in the law enforcement if they can get me one of those kits they carry around to see if a drug is a drug or I may taste the crust, not a pleasant thought but I will.

OH notagain, then this is pre-mixed ready to be cooked? He tried to tell me he did one line, then a couple of lines, I told him do you know how you know an addict is lying? He told me yeah, their lips are moving.

I saw him today, trying to get through his thick skull that he cannot do cocaine because it has a negative effect on his bipolar and makes him psychotic.

He doesn't understand what the big deal is because it isn't an opiate....why can't an addict understand that a drug is a drug, period.

I take two steps forward one step back with him all the time. Thanks, for just being here when I open to read supportive posts it makes me feel like I am not alone, such a God send.

He knows I am the only constant in his life, always there, no one else ever has been. But I think it is again time again to tell him I need a few days off from him and not talk or visit him.

cram315

Old 08-12-2007, 03:06 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Xant HB User

First of all, a big hug to Reachout, I hope you are doing well I am still here, I just lurk at the moment as things have been so busy I really haven't had time to post any updates, but I will get round to doing that soon.

Cram, I am so sorry you are going through this, I know what it's like.

Firstly, cocaine (in any form), is highly psychologically addictive. Your son will need a lot of help and willpower to come off it. If he is taking crack, it will be a hard struggle for him.

Secondly, one of the side effects of taking crack is a full blown psychosis and also severe depression. If your son is BP, that is a double whammy.

Sadly, you won't be able to get through to him. He will not believe what you say until he realizes himself what it's doing to him. Addicts are normally in denial about their addiction until they hit rock bottom and realize themselves that things can't go on as they are.

You can only tell him that if he decides to get help then you will support him. Of course it's a good idea to maybe have a professional speak to him about the dangers of crack, but the next step will be up to your son.

Even if you can prove that what you have found is crack, your son will still deny and lie until he admits to himself that there is an issue.

If you have any other questions I will try my best to answer them.

Hugs to you and stay strong.

Xant

Old 08-12-2007, 12:37 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

"OH notagain, then this is pre-mixed ready to be cooked? He tried to tell me he did one line, then a couple of lines, I told him do you know how you know an addict is lying? He told me yeah, their lips are moving."

cram, i have a lot of experience with this. not only was i a heroin addict i used to sell (and use) crack to help support my habit. The powdered form of coke is put into a jar and then you add baking soda and water to cook it. the crack forms a hard ball and the residue left on the sides of the jar is the baking soda that is left over.
i pray for your son and for you. i cannot even imagine how painful it is to see your child suffering like this. it really doesnt matter if its coke, or crack though, a drug is a drug. and addiction is addiction.
i am petrified of my daughter, who is 12 now, getting any older. because she is the child of two addicts. i fear for her. its people like you, and your experiences and hope, that help fortify me for the future.
please keep me posted. i care.

Many Prayers and Much Hope,

michelle

Last edited by oh-notagain; 08-12-2007 at 12:38 PM.

Old 08-12-2007, 06:50 PM   #8
(male)

TheExtradition HB User

Take it to the hospital, they check it for free. Police officers do it too.

Old 08-12-2007, 07:15 PM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Cram, you dont need to check it ..spare yourself..its drugs no matter how you slice it..its drugs and thats the bottom line. I have been where you are and so afraid of going back there..believe me even writing these words scares the hell out of me.. when they are in the middle of their addiction they will tell you anything, even while you are crying and begging. take care of yourself first, so you can help him..he can be helped if he really wants it. dont give up, keep on trying.

Old 08-13-2007, 05:54 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Cram

Just thinking about you. How is the day going for you? I hope some peaceful time finds a way in for a while. rest. Take care of yourself.

reach

Old 08-13-2007, 08:12 AM   #11
(female)

joanharvest HB User

I understand what you are going through. My son is an opiate addict and has been clean from opiates for 2 1/2 years. Last Christmas he decided to try crack cocaine thinking he could control it because it wasn't an opiate. He, too, didn't seem to understand he is a "drug" addict--any drug. After two weeks he told me what he was doing because he got scared and knew he was out of control. He said he never took a drug before that got a hold on him so fast. He admitted himself to the local psyche ward. As far as I know he hasn't done it since. He had been doing so well until a week ago when he got fired from his job as a first mate on a charter boat. Fishing is his life and he loved the job. He was making great money and had gotten his own place to live. One morning he didn't wake up to his alarm, missed the boat and his boss fired him. He had just enough money to pay a weeks rent and what does he do? He takes his money and goes to some crazy concert where he gets robbed--loses all his cash, his debit card, etc. He calls me this morning, his van won't start and asks me what should he do. How should he get home, He has no money, his landlady is going to throw his stuff out. Like you, Cram, I'm all he's got. Everyone else has give up on him because he does such stupid things. I live on disability, I have no money, thank goodness or I would probably give it to him. I don't know how he's going to work his way out of this one. He was also diagnosed as bi-polar except he isn't. It was the opiates that made him seem as if he were bi-polar and a psychiatrist who couldn't tell the difference. She had him on all sorts of meds. He felt better when he got off everything two years ago. But I'm scared this time. When he called me he said he was giving up, He'd had it then he hung up on me. It just never seems to end with him, always one bad thing after another and that's when he isn't even doing drugs. Though, I have a bad feeling he did some at this concert.
I'm going to an Al Anon meeting Wednesday, maybe that will help me. I guess he has to help himself. It's more than likely your son was doing crack. I am so tired of all of this.

Old 08-13-2007, 09:24 AM   #12
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

joan...does it ever end? my son is 5 mths clean of opiates and im always waiting for the next shoe to drop..

Old 08-13-2007, 07:00 PM   #13
(female)

eric's ma HB User

I am sending a huge hug to all of you mothers, please remember to take care of your selves too. Take a break, do something that relaxes you and the world won't stop if you are selfish and think only of your self for aday.
This was told to me by my own son and you know what he was right.
Health and happiness to all
Eric"s Ma

Old 08-14-2007, 05:24 AM   #14
(female)

joanharvest HB User

Jules,
I pray to God that my son will gain some common sense someday. Until then I just take one day at a time. I thought it was over because he was clean from opiates for so long. It nearly killed me when he did crack at Christmas. At least he did something about it quickly. He came home from the concert yesterday. He has no money so he can't pay his rent, no job because he was fired, had his debit card stolen because he left it on the seat of his van for a minute. He brought stuff to sell at the concert-- skateboards, glass pipes, grateful dead little teddy bears. He sold everything and had all his cash stolen. It never ends for him. Shows up at my house, all upset because of all the bad things that happened and his van won't start. Turns out he's out of gas. The only thing I would do for him was give him a little gas out of our gas can so he could get to a station. I really try not to enable anymore. I know one thing, I am starting to lose all my sympathy for him and am getting more angry at him. I am so tired of it all.

Cram, Jules, all you other mom's: How do you feel deep down inside about your addicted children? I don't want to end up hating my son because of all the problems he tries to dump on me.. I am all he has. Even though he is not actively doing drugs he still has all those addictive tendencies. I never, ever know when to believe him. I want so much to trust him but I don't.

My therapist says I am obsessed with thinking about him. Even though I don't give him money or a place to stay anymore, I still can't stop thinking and worrying about him.

Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 AM   #15
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Joan, i was told i am too obsessed with my son .. and deep down i know i am...hes my only son and im crazy about him. I would die for him. He is an addict and i think would become addicted to just about anything if given the chance.. he is not on drugs, almost 6 mths clean and doing very well. but i hate to say it, everythime he goes out my life just goes on hold till hes back home..i worry and i really dont trust him. from what i understand, it takes years to get that trust back. he lives home with us and i look at his eyes everyday..he knows it and it upsets him, but i cant help it...he sees an addiction therapist weekly. right now he has insurance and we are able to help him out. he goes to n.a. meeting once or twice a week. My son was definitly self-medicating he abused opiates which opens up the dopamine in the brain,letting out the feel good stuff..he sufferes from depression and anxiety. there was a motive to his abuse, he just has that addictive personality so BAM in comes the drug addiction!

Closed Thread