It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-19-2007, 07:14 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
How to monitor an addict getting pain pill script for real pain

My son who will be starting full time intensive outpatient therapy for both his bipolar and chemical addiction on Tuesday was given prescriptions before being released from the hospital (he had a manic episode with his bipolar and ended up in the hospital).

My concern is they gave him not only his bipolar medications and inti-inflamitory medication (starts with an R, it is at pharmacy as soon as I know I will tell you) but a doctor who saw him gave him tylenol three (30/300) for his two herniated discs. I was shocked.

We had him off all this, now he is back on. I know the doctor had to have read his charts. He also is taking double the motrin script because of his back.

He is giving me the script to hold on to and I am doling out because it is the weekend and I have no doctors or social workers to quiz on this decision but I am lost here and need help.

QUESTION: How do addicts who need pain pills handle pain pills so it isn't an issue again or become an issue?

He wants the doctor to prescribe celabrex, again we have to wait until Tuesday till he goes to IOP.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 09:56 AM   #2
(female)

maryann47 HB User
Smile Re: How to monitor an addict getting pain pill script for real pain

Anyone who has a chemical addiction can not take or be prescribed any substance that has the potential for addiction. This will certainly lead to a relapse. I have had problems with addiction to prescription drugs for over 20 yrs. I have noticed that doctors I have been to have to be repeatedly told that I should not be prescribed drugs of a addictive nature. My advice is to call the doctor and tell him about your son's chemical addiction. He or she will most likely prescribe something else that won't cause your son to relapse.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-19-2007, 10:15 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: How to monitor an addict getting pain pill script for real pain

that doc NEVER should have actually Rxed any sort of narcotics to someone who just got the heck off them,.what in gods name was that man thinking???i too am confused about this one.he obviously doesn't know alot about treatment or addiction to go ahead and do this for him.it was a really stupid move on that docs part,espescially since he just finished treatment.honestly,your son just got off these so lets put him back on them??yikes!he most definitely needs a new doc,asap,as this one is going to cause him more problems for you and your son to have to deal with.was this his psyc doc?

you will definitely have to keep main control over his meds,at least the narcotics and possibly any others til he can show you that he is going to stay on his rxed schedule.i also have a bi polar son with a flippin transplant to boot.i have to make certain that his meds are taken.i just oversee,he usually has this covered himself,but also has a brain injury(frontal lobe brain bleed and lovely coma) caused by trauma after flying off a moving car and landing on his head.great combo there let me tell ya.if your son does have a chronic pain problem,getting him in to see a pain management doc would be the ideal situationthey know how to treat pain ans can go completely without the use of narcotics to do it ,if needed.this really would be a good idea.either that or taking care(surgical or some other option of intervention) of that herniated disc would help too.i wish you luck with this.sorry i have to fly now,got up too late.any questions,just holler.marcia

Old 08-19-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

cram, i feel bad for your son and you will probably get alot of different viewpoints here...but i have to tell you that i hope to god my 21 yr old son is never in that much pain that needs narcotics, because he is an addict..recovering yes, but an addict is an addict. He seperated his shoulder last month and was in pain, he used aleve and he got thru it..

Old 08-19-2007, 08:18 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Relapse? Does it always end up in relapse?

The problem for him is he is in a viscous cycle. He wakes up everyday in pain and he said it's really depressing.

He asked for celebrex but they didn't release him with a RX for it. Tomorrow I will complain make a call to get his social worker to get a rx called in for celebrex and a non narcotic.

How strong are Tylenol 3s? Now his head is clear and he wants me to dole out the meds. I give him 3 to 4 a day, that's it. Is that too many? He had a pain management dr, he got three cortizone shots, now the pain is back. He is calling tomorrow to find an orthopedic doctor.

What choices for non OTCs are out there that are non narcotic, he tried ultram worked great but then his body built up a resisitance.

Hugs everyone, your answers and support always help.

Cram315

Old 08-19-2007, 08:49 PM   #6
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

I may have a different view of things than some. It is not your responsibility to tell his doctor about his addiction, it is his responsibility. I wouldn't trust that the information is in his chart, unless he told them to add it.

And I disagree that being on narcotic pain medications always lead to relapse. I have 17 year clean and I have had to take pain medications over the years, and at no time has that led to a relapse; however to ensure that it didn't turn into a relapse I, me had accountability to my sponsor and my husband. It is completely appropriate for you to handle his medications and give them to him as prescribed by the doctor. I want recovery more than anything and am willing to tell doctors, family and my sponsor when I need help.

I would watch out for Ultram, there are many here that have been addicted to that as well. I pray that your son is truly ready for recovery.

Old 08-19-2007, 09:34 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

glo bones you deserve a huge pat on the back,

Old 08-20-2007, 06:17 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

hey GB,i am in the same posistion as you having alot of clean time then having to go back onto the crap i had tried so flippin hard to stay off of for fifteen years.that IS the difference here in this particular situation.this man JUST got out of treatment and his stupid doc placed him back onto what he just got clean from.that is just insane.having had some good clean time between the "active' addiction and having to go back onto a narcotic makes a big difference,also haveing a good PM who does very very close monitoring of my intake along with 24 hour notice suprise pill counts and UAs has helped me tons in being able to do this without consequences that would have most definitely showen up if my SCI had occured shortly after my treatment was completed,just way too vulnerable back then.not that i am ever free from a relapse,and i clearly know the possibilities.but with the proper monitoring and having your entire family aware of your situation is crucial for any real success.what this doc did to this guy is just simply just too stupid for words.also being he is a bi polar does not help the situation either.i cannot imagine what he was thinking when he wrote that narcotic Rx.when you have a child with a mental health issue,you sometimes have to make certain that all of his medical history is indeed given to his docs.

i do think the sooner your son can get into see a good ortho for a consult and eval the better off he will be.he just needs to know all options available to him.as far as OTC meds for his pain,the best i think that has worked for me when my herniated disc decided to go on me before my very first MRI was even done is aleeve.it got me thru about a year of disc hell before i finally could get the main problem Dxed and treated.there are other Rx type meds that can help with the pain that are non narcotic.tho i too would say that ultram would not be a good choice for him either.i really would get him into a good pain management doc who is fully aware of his problem with the narcotics,they can work around that with other med options and procedures.not just the ESI injections either.this is just what a good pain management facility does.with or without the use of narcotics.i had to sign a contract with my PM,but that is because i am on narcotics.really don't have alot of options with my level of inuries and the chronic severe pain that came along for the ride.i could not possibly even physically get out of bed without them.i have been able to maintain constant compliance since 03 but only with alot of help and alot of work on my part.i know i am never safe from a possible relapse so that is always there in the back of my mind.its kind of a scarey place to be at times.but the trade off is no mobility and constant pain so i did what i felt i had to do in order to get the best quality of life at this point.i will never get better with what i have,only worse as more time goes by.i am hoping thru research that they will be able to come up with something better for my pain processes.

i most definitely would keep all meds within your possession til he is off the narcotics for good and you know that he is also adhearing properly to his bi polar meds as well.you just have yo take a few extra steps when you are dealing with the mental health issues too.i wish you lots of luck.take care and please keep us all posted on how things are going for you.marcia

Old 08-20-2007, 07:49 AM   #9
(female)

joanharvest HB User

I have been in the same situation as you. My son is 26 and doesn't live with me anymore (not his choice) so I don't really have any say in what he does now. He is an opiate addict (oxy, heroin and even did crack 7 months ago). He has been clean from opiates for 2 1/2 years. Anyway, about a month ago he had to have 4 teeth pulled and they gave him percocets. His teeth are really bad from the heroin. They didn't give him many but he took them. I was horrified and scared to death he would go back and become a user again but fortunately he didn't. One thing about him, I can always tell when he is using (at least I hopr I can). I would certainly hope in your son's case they don't give him any narcotics. Three years ago when my son had been clean a short time a doctor gave him percs for chronic digestive disorder. It was that prescription that eventually turned into his heroin addiction. This I am sure of. When he did live with me I started insisting that I had written permission from my son so I could talk to his doctors, otherwise they wouldn't even speak to me because he was over 18. I also doled out pills to him when he was seeing some psychiatrist who had him on so much xanax he couldn't even work. She also had him on 4 other meds he didn't need and felt better when he finally got off them. She told him he was bi polar but his problems emotionally were all opiate induced. As a mother, this whole addiction thing has turned me inside out so that I now see a therapist myself. He may not be using but he is still an addict and acts like one. He won't go to NA or AA. My son still has his ups and downs. He loves fishing and works as a first mate when he can but usually gets fired because his concentration levels are still so low. He's out of a job right now. I will never let him live with me again, though. I am finally learning tough love. I had to put my house and my car in my daughter's name and have her and her husband move in with me so I could free myself from having to deal with his problems so much. I am disabled and I give her my monthly check so I never have any money. She has no problem saying no to him. But I let him know every day how much I love him and always will. I just want my son to work, keep a job for more than a month and be responsible. Do whatever you can to keep him off narcotics.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:10 PM   #10
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

Well, in response to Feelbad, I must say that I found out I had cancer in my first 30 days of recovery and took pain medications, again I stayed accountable to my sponsor and my support group. Recovery is my responsibility. Not to say that the love and support of my family and new found friends wasn't essential, becasue it was. We can't depend on doctors to keep us clean. It has to come from a place within ourselves.

Old 08-20-2007, 03:26 PM   #11
(male)

mariogreymist HB User

It's a tough spot. Taking narcotic pills for legitimate pain is not a relapse, and does not always lead to one. If the original addiction was an opiate addiction, then one does need to be extra vigilant about those pills. I'd suggest, if you can, give him no more than one day's worth of pills at a time. You could also keep a medication journal if the Rx was for "Pain - as needed." That way, he'll have to keep track of how much pain he's in each time he takes a pill.

It's a tough spot to need the medication that one was once addicted to, but the dangers can be minimized.

Closed Thread