It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-11-2007, 11:19 AM   #1
(male)

drasfr HB User
My girlfriend is addicted to Lorazepam and wants to stop

My girlfriend has been taking this for years to deal with her anxiety disorder. She finally admitted it to me 2 weeks ago after we spoke about it.

She said that she should stop, especially that she wants to get pregnant at some point in the near future. She asked me for helps on how to do that. She is scared about it, very scared about it but she really wants me to help... She refuses to go see a professional or be part of a program. She wants to do it on her own with me pushing and helping her. It is difficult because we do not live together yet. It is planned for in about 6 months but we would like her to be over that -if possible- before. Although I realize that it would be easier to make her stop and watch her when we live together.

I am wondering if anyone can give any advise on this?

I know that I get anxious too but my way of dealing with it as always been to work out, almost daily, self hypnosis and meditation. I was thinking of trying to make her do all of those things before making her stop - very slowly so she could have a way to cope with her anxiety (and sleep disorder). She have had some traumatic events in the past which are the cause of that.

I think I was finally able to make her stop drinking coffee and any caffeine as off last week after I really scared her. For a reason her body could not handle this and about 50% of the time she was having some caffeine, she was getting sick/jittery and had to take some more pills to deal with it.

Any help, ideas, suggestions would be very much welcomed. I know it is a very difficult path as she will have to learn to deal with her anxiety in some other ways... I want to help her really bad but want to do it as healthily as possible.

I am looking for the best way, if that exist to help her stop.

What worked for you? or people you know?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-11-2007, 12:43 PM   #2
(male)

DZ-015 HB User
Re: My girlfriend is addicted to Lorazepam and wants to stop

However you decide to do it, taper off slowly. I was hooked on lorazepam, among other benzos, for a good while when i was younger. Didn't know about the dangers of just quitting, and wasn't truthful with the rehab i went to. Had a seizure and cracked my head open on the sidewalk. Oh well, that was one of the lessons learned the hard way i guess.
Anyway, taper off, and i'd suggest whatever alternative you use for controlling anxiety, do something you both can take part in and enjoy. My anxiety is always less when i'm with friends/loved ones, and it may be easier for her if you're there.

Old 09-11-2007, 01:09 PM   #3
(male)

drasfr HB User

She would take anywhere between 2 to 4 pills through the day. When she was having caffeine it was a trigger to take more. Now that I think I successfully made her stop caffeine from both coffee and the very strong tea she was taking that should help in those ways.

She refuses to go and speak to a doctor about it. Her doctor lives far away because she moved to NYC and refuses to see anyone else... She relies on me to help her/force her to stop.

I've been doing a lot of reading and i realize it will take probably 4 to 6 months and it isn't going to be easy. That she needs other mechanisms to help cope with it. I am just wondering how other people did it?

I know it is a very long process, and I am wondering if I should just wait for us to live together to stop, so I am always there for her and can help her better because I know that me there 24x7 would help tremendously... but we both would like her to stop before.

Old 09-11-2007, 05:44 PM   #4
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

I don't mean to sound harsh, but you can't make her quit. If she truly has a desire to stop abusing the Lorazepam then she will do whatever it takes, and that means talking to a doctor or going to some place like AA or NA. It also puts a lot of strain on you to act as doctor or chemical dependency counselor, which in turn could put unwanted strain on your relationship.

Unfortunately, living together in not a guarantee that she'll quit either. Addiction is a deceptive thing. I would try to encourage her to seek professional help. I know many people who don't go into a treatment program or doctor but do find help in NA or AA.

Good Luck

Closed Thread