It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 05:45 AM   #1
(female)

troublex2 HB User
Drug Testing

My husband is a recovering heroin addict. Has been clean for almost 3 years now. He wasnt using for years before he got clean,he was using a little over a year.Well Last week to me he looked like he was "high " so I got a drug test, not the cheap ones from like Rite Aid or anything. My aunt got me one from her work . Well it tested for 5 different drugs and it came back positive for Opiate. He took the tst without a fight but of course after the results came back he denied it. I usually never believe him,but a part of me is saying maybe he isnt lieing. I dont know. Is there anything like OTC medication or prescriptions that can cause a false positive for opiates ?

Old 09-25-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User
Re: Drug Testing

honestly,the only thing i know of that could possibly give a false positive would be poppy seeds,but he would have to have had like a pound of them to really show that much positive.it really does take alot to do this.i know in canada you can obtain codeine OTC,but if you don't live in canada,well.you could repeat the test too.sometimes some specific thing can cause a false positive bur the chances are pretty darn low.just a thought.i would go with your gut and really look at how he has been acting lately.if you suspected it enough to test him,well,something must have prompted your suspiscion ya know?if he is not taking any Rxes well that kind of shoots that theory too.he would have to have been taking an Rx that contains some level of opiate to show positive.most narcotics really do not actually stay in your system very long(nowhere near like marajuana does).so if he tested positive,he had to have had "something" more recently.you could take him to see your primary without telling him right away,then have a more specific type of test done,but he would have to actually give permission to have that done.but if he has nothing to hide,it shouldn't be an issue.he may very well had a slip or two.the mind of an addict is always there,whether you are clean or not.he could be going backwards here instead of forwards.if thats the case,he needs some level of intervention sooner vs later when things once again become more ingrained into his brain and that whole process of getting clean gets much more difficult.if you really do suspect he is using,and with the results of that test to boot,well,he probably is.i do think you really do need to sit down and have a chat with him,not attacking but in the "i really love you and care about you" way,you know what i mean?see what he has to say.he may be feeling rather guilty and really is looking for the opportunity to just let it all out.i hope things go well for you two.please keep us posted,K? marcia

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 09:05 AM   #3
(female)

troublex2 HB User

Last week I noticed he looked a little different. He said the only thing he took was his headache meds, Duradrin, & some OTC allergy meds from work. I did sit down and try to talk to him. I told him to just be honest becasue I love him and if he is honest with me then we can work through this but that I will not do this again,with all the lieing and etc... He still swears up and down that he didn othing. When I told him about the test he was more then willing to take it, but I told him on Friday and we were so busy running around that I didnt get a chance to give it to him because when we were home he couldnt pee,so he says ,and i didnt want to take it with us while we were out because we went to a concert. And on Saturday after our sons birthday party I asked him to take it, this was at 6p.m. and he said he would take it as soon as he had to pee. Well his brother called and wanted him to go out with him for awhile. But I told him he wasnt leaving until he took it. Well what do you know, finally at 10 p.m. he took the test & left to go out with his brother.As soon as he walked out the door I checked the test and it was positive.

Old 09-25-2007, 09:19 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublex2 View Post
that I will not do this again,with all the lieing and etc... He still swears up and down that he didn othing. Well what do you know, finally at 10 p.m. he took the test & left to go out with his brother.As soon as he walked out the door I checked the test and it was positive.

so what are you going to do now?

Old 09-25-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
(female)

troublex2 HB User

I dont know what to do. He said the meds he took was called dextromethorphan .My aunt is going to get me more tests. So if I suspect for one second that he is doing something, I am not going to hesitate I am going to give him the test right then and there. And if that one comes back positive then he is going to have to move out !!!

Old 09-25-2007, 10:43 AM   #6
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Dear trouble,

A few substances or conditions which can cause false positives for opiates are
Poppy seeds,Tylenol with codeine,most prescription pain medications,cough suppressants with Dextromethorphan and Nyquil.

Conditions that can possibly return a false positive for opiates are kidney disease and infection, diabetes and liver disease.

Food for thought.

Take care.

Phoenix

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-25-2007 at 12:40 PM. Reason: words "food for thought."

Old 09-25-2007, 12:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

rosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB Userrosequartz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by troublex2 View Post
I dont know what to do. He said the meds he took was called dextromethorphan .My aunt is going to get me more tests. So if I suspect for one second that he is doing something, I am not going to hesitate I am going to give him the test right then and there. And if that one comes back positive then he is going to have to move out !!!
I thought that was what you said this (last) time.....it's already came back positive, now you say if you suspect he's doing something? You've already got proof that he is.......

Old 09-26-2007, 07:46 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

Phoenix,i am just kind of curious as to how dextro and nyquil can show a false positive for an opiate.to my knowledge there really isn't anything in there that could do this?i am just wondering,thats all.any light you could shed on this for me would be very helpful.i have just never heard that one before.thanks,Marcia

Old 09-26-2007, 08:28 AM   #9
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelbad View Post
Phoenix,i am just kind of curious as to how dextro and nyquil can show a false positive for an opiate.to my knowledge there really isn't anything in there that could do this?i am just wondering,thats all.any light you could shed on this for me would be very helpful.i have just never heard that one before.thanks,Marcia
Dear Marcia,

Dextro is a synthetic narcotic and it's chemical compsition is similar to that of traditional opiates.

Nyquil Cough contains this synthetic narcotic.

Take care.

Phoenix

Old 09-26-2007, 11:00 AM   #10
(female)

ReadyToBeDone HB User

Phoenix, thank you thank you thank you for telling us that. I had no idea it could show positive. Seeing as how I'm subject to testing, I am going to stay away from those.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:23 PM   #11
Facilitator
(male)

Dear RTBD,

You're welcome.

Phoenix1

Old 09-27-2007, 07:13 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

wow,just when you thought you heard it all,thanks there phoenix.Marcia

Old 09-27-2007, 01:12 PM   #13
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

I feel like im pretty knowledgable about drug testing..but i do need to know for a friend. not for my son this time.thank god! would it be possible to be using drugs and it not showing on the 10-12 panel test? maybe if that person is using drugs in a small amount? she is asking me and im really not sure about it..anybody know?

Old 09-27-2007, 03:28 PM   #14
Facilitator
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jules3 View Post
I feel like im pretty knowledgable about drug testing..but i do need to know for a friend. not for my son this time.thank god! would it be possible to be using drugs and it not showing on the 10-12 panel test? maybe if that person is using drugs in a small amount? she is asking me and im really not sure about it..anybody know?
Dear Jules,

Without going into specifics, there are many ways to manipulate a test.

To list them would be irresponsible, on my behalf.

Take care.

Phoenix1

Last edited by Phoenix; 09-27-2007 at 03:29 PM. Reason: spelling

Old 09-27-2007, 05:06 PM   #15
Senior Veteran
(male)

spark-o-cet HB User

jules even if he is using small amounts of a drug and the test they use tests for that drug it will show up, yet it might be a faint line for it.a test is easily beaten if a person really wants to,the easiest being is to get someone else's urine and use it.many,many ways to throw off the results,but if it is all done the right way it will show up even a small amount of drug use.good luck-spark

Closed Thread