It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-25-2007, 02:59 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
Q: Can a doctor monitor an abuser of perc's by doing blood work biwkly?

A friend of mine has a son who had a percoset addiction and was on suboxone. The doctor took him off of suboxone and put him back on percosets. He told his mother that the doctor is going to monitor him by doing biweekly blood work to make sure there isn't more percosets in his system then the doctor is prescribing.

Is this really possible?

Thanks

Old 09-25-2007, 07:18 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: Q: Can a doctor monitor an abuser of perc's by doing blood work biwkly?

yes it is possible but why would a doctor take him off sub and put him back on percocets? makes no sense.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2007, 07:24 PM   #3
(female)

shay4bliss HB User

Jules, I'm back...

Couldn't have said it better myself.....

Old 09-25-2007, 08:04 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

hi shay.

Old 09-25-2007, 08:11 PM   #5
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User
Smile Re: Q: Can a doctor monitor an abuser of perc's by doing blood work biwkly?

Quote:
Originally Posted by shay4bliss View Post
Jules, I'm back...

Couldn't have said it better myself.....
Shay, my dear Shay. It is good to see you posting!!!

Your friend,

Mike

Old 09-26-2007, 02:15 AM   #6
(female)

shay4bliss HB User

Thanks, a little birdie prompted me....

How are YOU?

Old 09-26-2007, 07:16 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Pinched nerve in neck, needs an operation.

I questioned the blood work because our body's cleanse our blood quicker than urine. If an addict is abusing percosets the blood cleanses itself quickly and constantly. Wouldn't the addict just cut down the day before?

He ruined his famiy financially, then started suboxone through a addiction clinic. Makes no sense how an addiction doctor gets involved in a pinched neck. He was on suboxone for two months, when rumor had it he sought out his dealer and was relapsing, he denied it and said his dealer refused to watch him destroy his life and they both went on suboxone. Now he is back on pain meds...I just don't believe any of it.

Have you noticed that when it is effecting someone elses loved one, you can read through the bs but when it is your loved one you get hood winked.

I am the queen of being hoodwinked.

Old 09-26-2007, 02:25 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

viking55803 HB User

To test a blood level of a specific drug, like Percocet, means ordering a "quantitative analysis" which is quite expensive ($30 to $50 each.) As far as I know, there is no reimbursement through medical insurance for that level of monitoring. None of this makes sense. Someone is handing someone a load of crap.

Old 09-26-2007, 04:19 PM   #9
(female)

Cup of coffee HB User

I think this is what some pain management clinics do. This happened to my auntie. To prove that she wasn't misusing her medciations she ahd to have random blood and urine tests. This protects the doctors and patients.

Old 09-27-2007, 07:21 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

where is this docs head at anyways?there are many other options to treat even the most severe types of pain when someone is waiting for a surgery.been there done that one many years ago.steriods or anti inflammatories.toradol are just a few.and using nerve blocks or ESIs.putting an addict back onto narcotrics and taking them off sub is just insane.does this doc realize his liability here?there are just many other options for your son than what he is currently taking.he needs to see an addictionologist.they will be able to do much more for him than the idiot who is feeding his confirmed habit on an ongoing basis.thats just sick,really.i wish you lots of luck with this and hopefully the doc will see what a stupid thing he is doing and wise up.thats just crazy.Marcia

Old 09-30-2007, 11:45 AM   #11
(male)

buckeye1 HB User

I doubt this story holds water - I would want to see the pill bottle to prove the doctor is writing Perc's - sounds like the kid is back to old habits (getting "blood work" twice a week would explain some needle marks too, huh?)

Old 09-30-2007, 01:48 PM   #12
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

HI,
My daughter is drug tested 3-4 days per week along with other participants in our counties drug court program. I do know that if they test positive that they send the urine out for level testing and that does include if they test positive for opiates which is what percocets would be. So yes they can test the levels. Normally around where we live dr.s will do pill counts so I think this Dr doing this is going above the call of duty. Most here would just drop the patient instead of doing that. So he may be telling the truth. He should get a report back from the testing center ask to see it. Hope this helps.
tami

Old 09-30-2007, 01:51 PM   #13
(female)

MYSISSYGIRLS HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by MYSISSYGIRLS View Post
HI,
My daughter is drug tested 3-4 days per week along with other participants in our counties drug court program. I do know that if they test positive that they send the urine out for level testing and that does include if they test positive for opiates which is what percocets would be. So yes they can test the levels. Normally around where we live dr.s will do pill counts so I think this Dr doing this is going above the call of duty. Most here would just drop the patient instead of doing that. So he may be telling the truth. He should get a report back from the testing center ask to see it. Hope this helps.
tami
just wanted to add that my daughter is doing a ten panel urine test, they are not doing blood work, so that is a little weird I think. They do not have to test your blood for perc levels it is simple urine test.Just wanted to add that after i reread and seen where he was saying a blood test.

Closed Thread