It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2007, 08:43 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

tlhalabama HB User
Wife needing some advice

Hey everyone:

I am needing a little advice on how to help my husband.

He has been a drinker for about 12 years. It started out just beer and now it's mostly whiskey.

It caused problems with our oldest child who had to deal with the emotional abuse that goes along with drinking. You see, when he drinks, he gets angry and harse.

Now, we have a younger child and I do not want this child to have the same experience as our oldest.

He used to have a pattern: every other day of drinking to the point of oblivion. Then it got to be where there was no pattern, just drinking any day.

If I complain or say anything about his drinking, I am a nagger. So it has gotton to where when he drinks, he is on his own. I do not hang out with him, enable him in any way and most certainly do not let my little child hang around him.

Well, to finally get to the point: he told me that he is cutting back and is going to try to quit drinking. This was a decision he made all on his own and I am very pround of him and want to help him in any way that I can.

Do you have any ideas as to how I can help him and encourage him.

I have noticed that he is having trouble sleeping. Is this normal?

Any ideas would be appreciated.

Old 10-02-2007, 09:17 AM   #2
(female)

ttouch51 HB User
Re: Wife needing some advice

I am sorry u are going threw that. I had tried counciling with my husband and with out.iwore everyone around me out and hurt my children by trying to protect them from their dad(who never hurt them)In 1999 i talked to my priest and he sugested al anon,(in phonebook)It was the best thing ever happened to me and my family.If you want help try 6 meetings and see .Only you can change u not your husband.Also when i started to change my whole family did too.My husband didn't stop drinking but went to some open AA meeting with me and maybe he's not a alcholic ,he is the only one who can help him get well if he wants.he is trying religion and other things so who knows. When I got out his way ,I got better and my home life did too.This December we'll celabrate 20 yrs together,and i never knew life could be so good.I hope this can help you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread