It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-08-2007, 03:10 PM   #1
(female)

jenkpixton HB User
Sister/inlaw addicted to Methadone. Help!?!?!

My sister in law got addicted to pain killer after her husband had sugrey well both of them did. He is off of it and taking methadone and slowly trying to wean himself off it. My sister inlaw is stealing the methadone from him and alway threatening to kill herself if he doesn't give it do her. I don't know much about drug addiction, only alittle about recovering alcoholics. How can I possibly force her into rehab? I am confused because they give methadone to people are addicted to pain pills and heroine. What would they do in rehab to help get her off the methadone... She has been taking it for the pure and has openly admitted to me more then once she is a drug addict. Does anyone have adivce. I know someone other has or maybe knows someone who takes or took methadone for all the wrong reasons. Please let me know how to maybe help her. I can't stand her but but she's the mother of my neice's

Old 10-09-2007, 11:44 AM   #2
(female)

Winnie31 HB User
Re: Sister/inlaw addicted to Methadone. Help!?!?!

I don't have a lot of knowlege on methadone but I do know what it is like to be addicited to a narcotic. I don't think you will be able to force her into rehab if you did it would probably be worthless because you have to want to come clean. From what you wrote about her it sounds like she may have some other problems besides addiction to methadone, or she knows what the withdrawl is like and thats why she she threatens to kill herself. Honestly I the situation that you are in couldn't be more heartwrenching! I know you want to take care of her and the kids but there is only so much you can do and she will have to either hit rock bottom or come to the conclusion that once her husband is done tapering there will be no more methadone then what? Just continue to be there for her and the girls it might be hell for a while but it does get better. If you need to talk I am here!!

Winnie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-09-2007, 02:24 PM   #3
(female)

jenkpixton HB User

I haven't talked to her in months, but hear what is going on though. I don't know what its like to be an addict, but I think I came very close. I had a procedure done where I needed to be on Lortabs all the time and found my self getting such a boost off them I took them more then I should have and noticed how easy I was able to get them from the doctor. When she would give me anymore I realized how close I was to getting hooked. I was fusrated for a few days for not having any. Then I was fine.

Old 10-09-2007, 02:44 PM   #4
(female)

Winnie31 HB User

If you had been taking large amounts for a long period of time and get cut off or run out you go through horrible withdrawls. I think she has been there done that and is scared to death of the withdrawl and that is why she is telling her husband she will kill herself if he doesn't give her the methodone that she needs. I have been in her shoes and sometimes you do feel like you just want to die and the pain will be gone, the restlessness, bone pain, insomnia, cramps, stomach pain, nausea, etc will end. It is plain hell on earth to be addicted to something that controls every thought all day everyday.

I learned today that there is a medication called suboxone, I think that is how it is spelled. From what I know is it will help with the cravings, withdrawl symtoms, etc. Maybe this is an option for her I have been reading many posts where it is a life saver. But all in all it really comes down to what she wants she is in control of her own destinity. Let me know if this helps!!

Winnie31

Old 10-09-2007, 05:19 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

butrfligirl28 HB Userbutrfligirl28 HB User

Does she have children? Drug abuse with children involved can be dangerous and damaging to them if so. I would tell you that you will be forced to contact child protective services if kids are involved, unless she gets help. Good luck!

Closed Thread