It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-26-2007, 09:11 AM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
What can my son be using?

Symptoms: Constricted pupils (he has lost weight over the month, except in his belly area) mentally aware of his surroundings, friendly, easy going (until I get on his case about his constricted pupils). But sometimes high acting.

He has a drug history. He is on bipolar meds and very possibly muscle relaxers and/or valiums (for anxiety issues) and/or pain pills.

He found out he has pneumonia, very bad bronchitis, throwing up, feverish, ended up in hospital because of this and it has been over a week suffering with this. He lost weight, doesn't eat.

But something is causing the pinpoints. And under signs and sympton sites, it cannot be stimulants and under opiates it states he would be out of it, sleepy, etc, so what gives?

Oh and when he comes visit me, he spends to much time in the bathroom, he says he is constipated, I say he is doing something in there. What is he hiding?

Old 10-26-2007, 09:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

FullCircle08 HB User
Re: What can my son be using?

Cram --sounds like he is using an opiate. They constrict the pupil and also make you REALLY constipated. Do you see that he has dry eyes at night. I used to get them all the time when I abused hydrocodone (vicodin). Also, to the question --what is he doing in there! Dont ask --boys will be boys--LOL

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-26-2007, 11:39 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

maggie0704 HB User

If he is recovering from pnemonia, that is probably why he's acting different.....and if he has emotional issues (on bipolar meds.) could those meds. possibly be causing pupils to look different? Id look into that before jumping to conclusions. And if he's constipated and has issues w/pupils, then it is possibility it's from opiates.
But weight loss could be just due from pnemonia...

Old 10-26-2007, 03:37 PM   #4
(female)

sweetsurrender7 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by cram315 View Post

But something is causing the pinpoints. And under signs and sympton sites, it cannot be stimulants and under opiates it states he would be out of it, sleepy, etc, so what gives?
Opiates don't necessarily make you sleepy and out of it. My boyfriend is a recovering heroin addict who kept it from me for months. I also noticed his pinpoint pupils which were the dead giveaway. But I also did not think it was an opiate because it seemed like he NEVER slept (2-4 hours a night) and he usually didn't act out of it at all.

Dealing with an addict is a constant struggle and I wish you the best of luck with your son.

Old 10-26-2007, 03:47 PM   #5
Inactive
(female)

Laylah HB User

If his pupils are constantly constricted he is almost certainly using opiates, probably heroin. The unfortunate thing is, the less 'out of it' he is, the more advanced his habit likely has become.

As a mother myself, I have to say, I am very sorry for your troubles.

Laylah

Old 10-26-2007, 07:58 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

He used to use heroin, he was useless back then, dirty, slept all day, passed out while eating. Looked high and was not a functioning addict at all, plus he smelled (really, really bad). There have been times over the past year or so, those symptoms were there but not lately. The painpills have to be the cause then. I have read that pain killers are called Hillbilly Heroin. He can get pain killers too easily and his insurance just keeps paying.

Addiction is a horrible thing, not many people can beat it.

Old 10-26-2007, 08:30 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Actually both herione and pain pills are opiates and both will constrict pupils..i think if you are saying hes using pain pills then you are pretty much answering your own question..maybe you can get him to a meeting...good luck cram.

Old 10-26-2007, 11:05 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

JJC81 HB User

If your son is dependant on opiates, there is a way out of it. But it has to be his decision. Not to say that you can't say anything; he is your son; i understand. In fact, the more you say may help to get him to admit he has a problem. I am a recovering addict and i had the same drugs of choice. I have been taking Suboxone (helps opiate dependent persons by decreasing cravings and alleviating withdrawal symptoms) for five months now. It is a great thing (at least for me; a doctor has to make the call). If your son learns about this, it will make him less afraid to give it a try. It is so much easier than going through the nightmarish opiate withdrawals. After starting this medication, it is then possible to start the recovery process by becoming involved in NA/AA meetings. Best of luck to you and your family.

Old 10-27-2007, 03:43 PM   #9
(female)

joanharvest HB User

Sounds like opiates, probably pills rather heroin. He probably is constipated from them. Also they don't necessarily make you sleepy. My son had such a high tolerance to them that he could function somewhat normally. I have been going to Al Anon weekly now and it really, really helps. I also see a therapist. My son knew the day I started at Al anon he was going to get nothing from me but love. I don't think he's used in a long time except for pot. I won't let him live with me or even talk to my about his problems. He has to learn to solve his problems himself. I got way to involved in his life.

Old 10-27-2007, 07:57 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Joan, be honest please. did you have to throw him out? every professional has told me that if my son goes back to drugs we have no other choice but to throw him out on the street. put him out where?? no family, no friends that will take him? he will probably get killed out thereon his own. how do you do it?? how do you close your door on him? ANYONE OUT THERE??? how do you do it?

Old 10-27-2007, 10:11 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

jessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB Userjessy28 HB User

opiats...for sure...i should say my guess

Old 10-28-2007, 02:43 AM   #12
(female)

joanharvest HB User

I did throw him out but not on my own. He and I lived alone together and when I finally confessed to my daughter, her husband, my ex-husband, my sister and her husband, my niece, we started having family meetings to decide how to handle it because I just couldn't do it alone anymore. It was tearing me apart because deep down inside I knew I was enabling him but just couldn't stop. I was giving him money to pay off drug debts, a place to live so he didn't feel he had to work, I cooked for him. The worse problem with him is he was so respectful to me. He never stole from me, was always thoughtful of me but I finally realized it was all manipulation to get what he wanted. It got so bad that I gave my house to my daughter and she and her husband moved in. The deal was I give them the house but I come with it which has worked out wonderfully because I give her all my disability check and have absolutely no money to give him and she has little compassion for him and I have told him it is her decision as to whether he can even visit me at the house. It was very difficult for him but he had no choice but to except it. He is an avid fisherman and hates it up here on Cape Cod in the winter so in the winter for the past two years since he has gotten mostly clean ( except for pot), he goes to Florida in the winter and comes up here in the summer. He got the shock of his life when he realized he just couldn't move in with me and had to get a job. He was actually homeless for a few months and slept in his van in the Walmart parking lot at night. This was very difficult for me but in the end it was the right thing to do. He had to be taught that he had to take responsibility and work for what he wanted. He is now living in Buffalo, NY, has a good job, living in a nice house, hasn't missed a day of work. Previously he had been fired from about 5 jobs including those in Florida. His father always bailed him out or I did but no more. As soon as I started going to Al Anon he realized he was getting nothing more out of me but my love. I know that soon he will head to Florida because he loves the outdoors and fishing. Hopefully he will find a job and a place to live. He has a great personality and people like him. As long as he stays away from opiates and crack he does fine and so far he is almost three years clean of opiates and 10 months clean of crack( he only did crack for a few short weeks and realized it had gotten and taken over his life very quickly). He still needs to work on quitting pot. But he's 26 and it is his choice. Through Al Anon I finally realize whose problem it is and it's not mine. He now knows I love him but that he can't manipulate me anymore. We've been through really bad times together. When he went cold turkey from heroin, he did it at home. His father came down and stayed with him during the day and I stayed with him at night. He literally body slammed most of the walls in his bedroom when he went through withdrawals but he succeeded because he knew it was his only chance and I wasn't taking anymore of his crap.. He wouldn't go to a detox center or NA or AA. I drug tested him daily for six months and he stayed clean and that's when he went to Florida for the first time during the winter. He was afraid to stay here and and repeat his old patterns.

I even put my car in my daughter's name so that I ended up with nothing because we all knew I would probably cave in and give him whatever I had, but if I didn't have anything I couldn't give him anything. Talk about going to extremes but it was the right thing to do. I now can say no to him and not feel guilty because he is quite capable of running his own life. I am not responsible for him. My only responsibility is to myself. This I am learning at Al Anon. The first week I went they gave me a pamphlet about detachment. I still have trouble with that but I am learning. It is the hard road but the best road for the both of us.

Old 10-28-2007, 06:28 AM   #13
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Joan i have alot of respect for you..your son sounds like hes going to be ok..
my son is 21 and was in a rehab for 30 days 9 mths ago..i have drug tested him for the past 8 mths and hes always been negative until last week when he tested positive for barbituartes..he swears he doesnt even know what they are and went to doc last week to give a urine sample and it was sent to lab..we are still waiting for results. i could possibly be jumping the gun here and maybe its not a relapse..im just so scared that it is..because we were told to throw him out, deep down i coudnt live with myself ..that is like feeding him to the wolves..he definitly has some kind of mood disorder so that is a large part of the problem here. well, anyway thanks for your honesty it means alot to me..

Closed Thread