It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-28-2007, 10:05 AM   #1
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User
Need an encouraging thread for my son...

hi my name is Lisa and I just found out my son, 23, has been addicted to drugs for two years. Two days ago he took 1 g of cocaine and had previously taken oxycontins and percocets on an almost daily basis for two years. WE knew nothing about his habit. I am starting this thread so you guys can write him some encouragement. He is having a very hard time today, fever, chills, spasms. We are going to a rehab counselor tomorrow. He feels alone as his wife has pretty much abandoned him at this point. His dad and I are with him but we have no experience whatsoever with this. IF any of you could just write a few words of encouragement or tell him about your struggles and successes, maybe I can get him to read it. Thank you all.

Last edited by irisheyes39; 10-28-2007 at 10:06 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 10:19 AM   #2
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User
Re: Need an encouraging thread for my son...

You came to the right place. We all have gone through our share of pain and struggles. THis board is a Godsend to most of us.

First, there is a post about detox at the top of this board. Read that and get your son everything it suggests to support the physical and mental WD symptoms he is going through.

Second, tell him to hang in there and that there is a life after these drugs! It is hard for people to imagine what there life is going to be like after or if they will even have the same life, but everyone who has succeeded on this board have ALL said their life was better. No one said my life sux without drugs.

Drug addiction is a disease. For some of us like me, we were made addicted by the docs we trusted and for others, it was to self medicate. Whatever the reason, he is not alone and he is not a bad person. And the fact that he has the support of his family already makes him ahead of the game!

Tell him he is lucky to have gotten help before things got bad. There are people on this board who will tell you how bad it could have gotten.

Just hang in there and give yourself time to heal. Congrats on taking the first step and be sure to come on the board and tell us your story and ask for help if you ever feel like you cant make it. You would be suprised how much better you will feel just to hear someone has gone through what you have.

We are all praying for you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-28-2007, 05:21 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

The bottom line is your son has to want to be clean.He is in withdrawel right now..

Old 10-28-2007, 05:51 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

Good for you!!! I have a small boy and I absolutely would die for him in a heartbeat. He is 11 yrs old, and when we were going thru the car wash the other day we were talking about drugs, smoking and alcohol. We had just gone out for a day together of lunch, shopping and a movie, and it is always heaven to hang out with him. When he was 2 yrs his dad and I split and I had him plus 4 jobs being a single mom.
I want you to know that if it were my son, I would do anything in the world for him, and IM glad your mom and dad are there for you. Your wife is probably angry, but ppl who dont even try to understand addiction make me REALLY mad.
The detox thread is great, and also Immodium is the best. You need to take a bit more than the recommended dose though. Another thing? Hot baths, gatorade, and THIS is a JEWEL! Get it! Oscillococcinum...you can even find it at the grocery. It will help the flu symptoms. Promise.
Hang in there, and know that you have friends and support here. Heck I came over from the Pain Board because IM a Chronic Pain pt. and was looking to say hello to a friend, and I saw this post.
If you can get a heating pad it helps so much as well....I hope you can maybe get into rehab if thats what youd like to do. Right now worry about yourself, and your wife will either follow along or not. Ill bet she will if she gets some help for herself. You have great parents, and a reason to live, so I want to come back here and see how you are doing!
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 10-28-2007, 07:39 PM   #5
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User

Thank you all so much!! You don't know how much it means to have this to share with him. It will get us through these days...

Old 10-28-2007, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

IZZY'SMOM HB User

You are so welcome...Dont give up, and keep on going. I hope your son sees our posts and can feel a bit better. I dont come here that often, but Ill be checking back now, as your story really captivated me and I'll be pulling for your family, and most importantly your son. Good things happen when you least expect them...
xoxoxoxox,
IZZY'SMOM

Old 10-28-2007, 08:38 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

izzys mom, you have a young son..i hear how much you love him..we love our sons jsuta s much..the difference here is that they are adults..and there is only so much we can do. you can help an addict as much as you can and want to..but only they themselves can stop abusing.. i hope to god irish can help her son.

Old 10-29-2007, 02:14 AM   #8
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User

Can any of you tell me if having a 101 fever for two days after last use is normal? It is 4am here and he is still having chills, fever, headache and nervous moving around. His last use was about 36-48 hours ago. Is this fever normal?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:23 AM   #9
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

irish, the fever chills and non stop moving is withdrawels..im not sure about fever..can you get him to a doctor?

Old 10-29-2007, 09:58 AM   #10
(female)

wheninrome1313 HB User

My friend gets fevers everytime she comes off. She also gets a virus of some kind or always gets sick.

Old 10-29-2007, 05:06 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Irish, how are things today?

Old 10-29-2007, 06:36 PM   #12
(female)

irisheyes39 HB User

Hi Jules,
Thank you for keeping up on us. WE just got back from the ER and he has STREP throat. Yay!!! Its not just withdrawal. I never thought I would be excited about strep throat. We have an appointment for a Pathways counselor tomorrow. Things are looking up. He has read all these responses and was very moved and encouraged. Thank you all so much!! Dont stop...

Last edited by irisheyes39; 10-29-2007 at 06:44 PM.

Old 10-29-2007, 06:47 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

emsmom HB User

Hey there,

Irisheyes - You are a wonderful mother!!! To stand by your son, get support and suggestions for his recovery, take him to the hospital etc., you are exactly the reason why people like us (addicts) "recover!"

To your son - I am very proud of you for owning up to your problem, getting help, and sticking through this. Its going to be tough, but you'll be so happy and proud of yourself for having done it all. I hope you continue to read our responses, and perhaps write to us sometime (no pressure). You will find such great support here as we're all going through something similar.

Good luck to you both,
Hugs,
emsmom

Old 10-29-2007, 07:25 PM   #14
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User

Oh so happy to hear that...my son is almost 22 and he is an addict too.. your son (i hope he sees this) will have a long road ahead of him. its hard for a young adult to stay clean and sober..that means no drinking too..my son still drinks but is clean of illegal drugs. But he can do it...help him every way you can. my son went thru a 30 day in patient rehab ..he was lucky we were able to send him out of the state to do that..he had to come home after and change his entire life..lost his job and all his drug friends. all the "people places and things " that are triggers..he learned how to deal..im not saying he will never relapse , the chances are so against him..but he learned some kind of foundation and your son will too.. he goes to weekly n.a meetings and has a sponsor. nov 1 will be 9mths clean for him..it ddint come easy.. i have to run, keep posting...

Old 11-01-2007, 12:41 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Irisheyes son, you have your whole life in front of you to live. Go forward.

My son, 23, is an addict also. Honestly, he has tried to fight it many times and he has lost many times. Right now he is sober and functioning.

This is the hardest road you will ever travel. Listen to what Pathways teaches you, some times you will think they don't know what they are talking about and other things will sink in and plant seeds for you to refer too.

If the cravings come back, talk to your mother, she loves you, unconditionally and will do everything in her power to see you succeed. You will never have anyone in your corner like your mother.

Irisheyes, big hug. Been where you are. I hope he is one of the ones who quits the first try but if he doesn't, we are all here. Addiction is an uphill battle, keep your eyes open, listen and watch with your head, not with your heart (your are dealing with an addict who you want to succeed and your heart will only allow you to gloss over truths if he falls off the wagon).

Hugs, cram315

Closed Thread