It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-17-2007, 05:43 PM   #1
(female)

danny7154 HB User
Question Husband Addicted to Cocaine

I'm not sure if I'm in the right place for advice on this subject.
I just found out that my husband has been abusing cocaine for the past 8 months. He just called the other morning and confessed in hopes that I could help him kick the habit. I had previously been completely unaware. I had just returned to college, was away from home alot, and didn't have much time for him when I was home, so I just didn't see the signs. Well, it's all very obvious now.

Just want to know the chances of recovery at home. Should I be looking into an inpatient treatment center? I really feel that he wants to quit, but I'm not sure what to expect!!

Anyone with info, please advise.

Old 11-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: Husband Addicted to Cocaine

Danni, I've never been on cocaine myself, so I don't know what the withdrawal is like. He has reached out to you, so it sounds like he really wants to get off the stuff. I suggest making some phone calls to addiction doctors, treatment centers, etc. There is help out there and you will find some for him.
Hopefully someone with cocaine experience will reply.
Best wishes,
JB

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2007, 12:20 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

hi danni, and welcome.

there are no physical w/ds with cocaine. it is all phychological. and thats the tough part for all of us. in order to recover he will need to recieve support in the form of 12 step meetings, a therapist, etc. the drug truly can be the devil. you just cant say no to it. Do a seach for any CA meetings you might have in your area. If not, then AA is also a great place to go, there are people there that have all kinds of different addictions, and the concept is the same. Really, a drug is a drug is a drug. And i have found that i cant stay away from cocaine if i dont stay away from alcohol too. (i cant stay away from ANYTHING if i dont stay away from alcohol) does he drink when he uses?
also, he needs not only your support, but support in the way of clean friends and family. he NEEDS to stay away from the people, places, and things that are associated with his use.
i hope this helps, i did coke, among other things, for 23 years. By the Grace of God i havent touched THAT particular devil in over 6 years now.
i wish you and your husband all the luck and hope in the world. please keep me posted on his progress.

take care,

michelle

Old 11-18-2007, 08:25 AM   #4
(female)

Sodapop68 HB User

I was a crack addict (a form of cocaine). I am not sure if he freebases or snorts the drug. But, there are withdrawal symptoms such as sweating and shaking uncontrollably if he freebased (cooks it and injects it). I quit without treatment, however not everyone can go "cold turkey". If he decides to try going "cold turkey" be prepared to be accused when you stand between him and his "fix". He has took the first step in admitting he has a problem. It sounds as though he is sincere about wanting to quit. The battle isn't easy! If he is willing to get professional treatment, I suggest you start TODAY in finding a good program.... don't wait.

Old 11-18-2007, 08:30 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

AnnD HB UserAnnD HB User

He will need, at the very least, a 30 day inpatient treatment program for addictions. good luck.

Old 11-18-2007, 05:47 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

mini59 HB User

He may need an inpatient treatment program, but, like sodapop68, I also kicked the habit on my own. I went through two rehabs, which never stopped me from sneaking out and using. What made me quit was the firm decision in my own mind to finally cut the crap. The last time I snorted cocaine was 17 years ago and I have had no desire whatsoever since then. I just got sick of feeling like *****....and scared of dropping dead of a heart attack. It is necessary to remove yourself from the triggers (people and places) that may tempt you, though.

K.

Closed Thread