It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-30-2007, 02:26 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
To past addictions who decided to quit.......

My 23 years old son who we have had a tough few years with drug addiction, rehabs, counselling, looking like a homeless person, being a homeless person (well you get the picture) has all of a sudden cleaned up his act, spends a lot of time with me and my husband, keeps to his word and doesn't look like he slept in his clothes for 72 hours. It has been 11 days and that is a big deal because I didn't see this coming. He still has back problems, complains occassionally about the pain but he isn't high on anything that I can see and normally he overdid it and I could see it.

Could it be he is on suboxone or bupherine and I don't know it? (I am against both because they are addictive in their own way and no one I know has good results coming off of it)

Why does he want to spend so much time with us? (OK dumb question on my part but this is so strange to me that he wants to spend time hanging out with us, we went from one extreme to another). He did say his doctor put him on a new medication that he thinks starts with a D for his high blood pressure (he didn't have high blood pressure but he was taking clonodine for anxiety that didn't work for him.) He isn't very informative when I ask questions but I am so thankful that we had a good thanksgiving because the last two weren't good.

Cram315

Old 11-30-2007, 02:45 PM   #2
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: To past addictions who decided to quit.......

enjoy it.....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-30-2007, 03:08 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

glad to hear he's back - he's with you coz he missed you. i remember going back to my mum (i was also 23) - its the warmest feeling in the world - warmer than opiate highs. 10 days is great news, i pray for his next 10 and im sure that he's gonna do just fine. good to hear a 'happy story' now and then

by the way - im yoss, sorry for not introducing myself earlier (british! no bloody manners!)

keep on keepin on

yoss

Old 11-30-2007, 04:46 PM   #4
(female)

ReadyToBeDone HB User

Cram,

I wish I could just come through here and give you a hug. You have been thru the ringer with him *sigh* There's a really good book I'd like to tell you about, but the moderator probably wouldn't like that Sweetie, the best advice I can give you is to accept him (acceptance does not equal approval), and learn how to detach. I do hope he has turned the corner, and that this is a start of a new life for him. Enjoy the time with him, and if the time comes, let him go. All you can do is be there for him and not enable. My heart goes out to you. Stay strong.

RTBD

Old 11-30-2007, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Cram

The D drug may be Depakote. Used for a number of things and one of those things is an aid in withdrawal. Whatever. Something is sure looking right here! I am very happy about that for you.

Cram... your son never stopped loving you as the very special woman in his life. You have shown yourself to be a mom who is a mom whatever it takes. I am sure that in his darkest, crummiest moments, he craved to be a little boy back in mama's arms. Of course that is not possible, but if he is doing better, then he probably feels more capable of being closer to you and wants to spend time with you and enjoy it. No doubt he has missed the closeness of family and hearth as much as you have missed him being there, really there, with you.

I don't know your beliefs, but will share one of the Promises that I often have had to rely on and find true... "raise a child up in the way he should go and he may stray, but will come back to the path."

In all hope that he has found his way back to the path you led him on for so long as he grew.

Hugs
reach

Old 11-30-2007, 06:48 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

tat2duser HB User

Yoss is so very correct here. I've spent the last two weeks at Mom's house while I was detoxing and going thru the w/d's - and you know what?? BEST MOVE I EVER MADE!! She made me fee so comfy and ade this whole process a lot more enjoyable.

There is nothing like a parent's love....

And there is no place like home.

tat*

Last edited by tat2duser; 11-30-2007 at 06:49 PM.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:08 PM   #7
(female)

monkey3 HB User

Enjoy, enjoy and enjoy - perhaps your son is back to you (maybe not) but please enjoy the time with him. Remember the times you just wanted him back? Well here it is, no one knows what is coming around the corner, I have a 5 year old son with autism - never in a milllion years did I think that would happen, especially as he has 2 older sisters in advanced classes who are brilliant. You never know the card you are dealt. But love him while he lets you.

Tons of hugs and kisses to you. Remember you have a chance

Closed Thread