It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2008, 03:36 PM   #1
(female)

2young2hurt HB User
help with 14 year old who LIKES the way Pot makes him feel

he has already go caught in school and suspended for 10 days for distributing as girlfriend took it from back pack--she got 5 days for possession( appealling THAT as no one saw anything--some one told principle..son confessed)
Should I be worried that he may become addicted to pot ? he has admitted to smoking it a few times but likes it. I am sure if he had the money and a good source it would be more aften than that. Does pot lead to stronger drugs ? I am concerned that there may be an addictive gene as I have a brother doing time for crack cocaine issues and I have fought my own battle over prescribed opiates. Should I get a lawyer to help out with the school situation or let him learn a lesson the hard way. he is ready to go back to school and it has only been 5 days. The seller was expelled but I am sure there is another source at the school.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2008, 07:30 PM   #2
(female)

Angiejr2 HB User
Re: help with 14 year old who LIKES the way Pot makes him feel

If you are concerned about your son which if he was mine--I would be calling some professionals about this, like a program called quest, it is for teenagers that use any sort of substance. The longer you allow him to use --heck yes--he will look for stronger stuff. You don't sound very frantic about this, I would totally be beside myself calling for help. Look in the yellow pages---call somebody, do something!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-29-2008, 06:46 AM   #3
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

We have called out mental health provider through our insurance and have authorization set up for his treatment. The school also offers a program called ACE but if we go through the ACE program through the school we forfeit our right to appeal the long term suspension/expulsion through the end of the school year. He has agreed to go to treatment which is a good thing but I am concerned that as soon as he completes his treatment and mandatory drug tests he will go back to smoking. I guess we will know more as he goes through the treatment program which does have parental involvment. i will look into the Quest you mentioned.

Old 02-29-2008, 07:01 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Let me speak from experience. Let him serve out his suspension.......he'll have lots of work to make up too!! And make him do it!!!!!!! You need to go to drug store and get a home drug test. Keep one on hand at all times....start drug testing him...randomly....if he fails....take his freedom away and anything elese that means something to him. You better start nipping this now!!! the drug tests for MJ are around $10...and they work.........you let him know if he fails a drug test, it's off to military school. Research the schools and show him where they are and how stric they are. And make him believe it. (even if you aren't going to actually do it).....this will make a believer out of him. MJ smoking at this age is NOT a good thing...and nothing to take lightly. I realize it is everywhere...and so is everything else..........if he thinks he will get drug tested on a regular basis...and will have to pay dearly for it, he will change his tune...peer pressure won't be so bad either, cause he'll say, I can't, I get drug tested........and I'll lose my freedom!!!! I wish every parent would drug test. The prescription drugs are rampant among the teenagers...and this stuff will take their lives...and yours!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 02-29-2008, 11:44 AM   #5
(female)

2young2hurt HB User

Thank you for your reply. A legal forum made me feel like I am such a horrible parent it had me in tears like I am the problem. I am so tired of crying over this.
We have tested him.. it was clean so I know it has been a while since he has smoked anything.He started counseling and that test was clean as well.
He has to complete the 10 day suspension. Our problem is that he may not even be able to go to the alternative school because of the distribution charge. he may end of staying out the rest of the school year !!!!
The national drug information website had all kinds of free materials that I printed off and requested to be mailed to be mailed as well. He will have to write me a report on the what is in the booklet MJ facts-----what teens need to know. I think this weekend we will go on a field trip to some millitary schools. I am also looking into a Scared Straight program as well. i am willing to do ANYTHING I can to get my son the help he needs and to make him realize the problem with ALL drugs.

Last edited by 2young2hurt; 02-29-2008 at 11:46 AM.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:00 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Good for you~~ You wouldn't believe how many "good" parents are going through the same thing you are. I am a good parent, and I went through it. My oldest is 22 and 6 weeks ago we kicked him out and haven't spoken to him. We have to go to court March 5 and tell the judge what happened the night he attacked his father and my husband while he was on xanax, booze and pot. He ended up with a broken jaw and husband had to go get stitches. IT WAS AWFULLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL . nOW i AM GRIEVING THE LOSS OF MY SON. I miss him soooooooo much and worry. I can only pray that he hits his rock bottom and lives through it.......I want my family back!!! So, please take my advice...........i've lived it!!! You can't force them to do anything after 18.......so do it now!!!!!

Closed Thread