It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-12-2008, 06:14 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User
My son's fatal heroin overdose

Hi, I had just lost my son to a herion overdose. His wife found him and could not bring him around. She called 911 and the paramedics checked for a heart beat and he was flat lined. My question is why didn't they try to save him. He was still warm when they got there and yet did nothing. They did not know how long his heart was stopped. It could of been a long time or a very short time. I can't stop thinking that he might be alive today IF THEY HAD ONLY TRIED. Has anyone ever heard of a person that flatlined with a herion overdose and was able to be saved. When is it to late to even try. Thank You

Old 03-12-2008, 06:32 PM   #2
(female)

arlingtonaddict HB User
Arrow Re: My son's fatal herion overdose

First, I am so very sorry for your loss. Truly.

I don't know 'specifics' about medical issues but I believe 'flat line' means no heart beat. If someone HAS a heart beat and it STOPS ("he just flat-lined") they can often try to start the heart. If they can't do it immediately, though, there is nothing that can be done. It sounds as though your son, although still warm (it takes the body several hours to cool), didn't heave any heart beat.

This must be such an awful time, my heart just breaks for you.

Jessica

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-12-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

jules3 HB User
Re: My son's fatal herion overdose

Oh how horrible...im so sorry to hear about your loss...i will keep you in my prayers..god bless.

Old 03-12-2008, 08:23 PM   #4
(female)

sohard HB User

I am so very sorry for your loss - this shows what a horrible, horrible disease this can be. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

Christy

Old 03-12-2008, 08:34 PM   #5
(female)

Angiejr2 HB User

I am so very sorry for your loss--your DIL must be devastated. How very awful for your whole family, God Bless.

~Angie

Old 03-12-2008, 08:49 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I know a boy who had stopped breathing for 15 minutes....they got his heart going again and he was in a coma for 2 weeks. Now, he's alive, but can't do a thing for himself...........and never will. Brain is so messed up....his body trembles and his limbs are in spasms all the time. He's in pain constantly. it's sooooo sad....you wouldn't want that.........

Last edited by flintrock; 03-12-2008 at 08:49 PM.

Old 03-12-2008, 09:35 PM   #7
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by flintrock View Post
I know a boy who had stopped breathing for 15 minutes....they got his heart going again and he was in a coma for 2 weeks. Now, he's alive, but can't do a thing for himself...........and never will. Brain is so messed up....his body trembles and his limbs are in spasms all the time. He's in pain constantly. it's sooooo sad....you wouldn't want that.........
Your right, I would not want that. But I don't know how long his heart stopped. It could of only been a few minutes. He could of been saved and not have the suffering like Brian. We don't know what the outcome would of been. The paramedics didn't give him half a chance.

Old 03-13-2008, 01:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Yossarian22 HB User

im sorry to hear about your tragic loss. this must be a difficult time for you. my thoughts go out to you and your family.

i recently lost someone close to me, i found these words to be a great comfort.

"To live in the hearts we leave behind is not to die." ~ Thomas Campbell

deepest sympathy

yoss

"All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain."

Last edited by Yossarian22; 03-13-2008 at 01:35 AM.

Old 03-13-2008, 05:40 PM   #9
Veteran
(male)

mk7657 HB User
Re: My son's fatal heroin overdose

My wife was a cop, and they received a message that a man had collapsed. With the sirens on, they raced to the scene and realized the man could not be revivied. IT IS AN ORDER IN THEIR DEPARTMENT TO ATTEMPT RESSUSICATION EVEN IF THE PERSON IS OBVIOUSLY DEAD. My wife told me that the rule is for the benefit of the spouse or loved one, and, also helps with law-suits.

So, my wife and the deputy tried to revive the man. When he was pronounced dead at the scene, the deceased's wife thanked my wife and the deputy for their effors.

SO, if they do CPR..., and nothing happens, so what. As least those left behind rest at night with the knowledge that everything had been tried to recover their lost ones.

mk

Old 03-13-2008, 06:10 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Hi, I would like to thank everyone for your kind words. Sadly this is my second son I lost to drugs. My first son was on cocain and commited suicide 16 years ago. I didn't even know he was on drugs. Thats how blind I was to the signs. My son who now died, left us with a broken heart. He could not accept his brothers passing and lost his will to live. He did manage to stay off drugs for the past year. He wanted to be here for his daughter who adored him. She's only six. Needless to say I am falling apart at the seams. It took many years to pull myself out of a dark pit when my first son died, and now I must do it again. Again, thank you for all your kind words.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:35 PM   #11
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mk7657 View Post
My wife was a cop, and they received a message that a man had collapsed. With the sirens on, they raced to the scene and realized the man could not be revivied. IT IS AN ORDER IN THEIR DEPARTMENT TO ATTEMPT RESSUSICATION EVEN IF THE PERSON IS OBVIOUSLY DEAD. My wife told me that the rule is for the benefit of the spouse or loved one, and, also helps with law-suits.

So, my wife and the deputy tried to revive the man. When he was pronounced dead at the scene, the deceased's wife thanked my wife and the deputy for their effors.

SO, if they do CPR..., and nothing happens, so what. As least those left behind rest at night with the knowledge that everything had been tried to recover their lost ones.

mk
I did not know that. I will have to look into that. I know the paramedics were there first. And because they were there before and saved his life, they came in and said very sarcastically, Oh I know this one, we were here before. Your right, there is no closer when things happen in this manner. He is my baby, my child. If this was theres they would of tried. Thank You

Old 03-13-2008, 07:33 PM   #12
(female)

Nu2patch HB User

Im so sorry for your loss, and youwill be in my prayers. i lost a brother in law to the same thing. unfortunatly i thought my ex would stop by seeing what happened to his brother but he didnt and still continues to use drugs. its sad. please pass my condolenses to your daughter in law and your family.
nu2patch

Last edited by Nu2patch; 03-13-2008 at 07:35 PM.

Old 03-14-2008, 03:57 PM   #13
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Laray, I couldn't imagine and then I couldn't imagine twice. I prayed to St. Monica and St. Augustine on your behalf. My deepest sorrow.

cram315

Old 03-14-2008, 08:30 PM   #14
(female)

arlingtonaddict HB User
Arrow Re: My son's fatal heroin overdose

Laray,

We are here for YOU and you were in my thoughts today. That must seem virtually useless in light of your deep grief (some strange, random drug addict on the Internet) but it's true. Please keep posting! (((YOU)))

Jessica

Old 03-14-2008, 09:15 PM   #15
Inactive
(female)

laray721 HB User

Thank you Jessica & cram315, and again to everyone. I keep my feelings to myself alot. I just don't want to burden everyone with my grief. I feel good inside to know there are people who care. And have me in there thoughts.

Closed Thread