It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2008, 07:48 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User
Son went back to drugs - Is there a coke blocker?

That's it. He had five months of walking forward. I watched it unfold. He ran out of all his bipolar medication. His logical substitute, cocaine. Once that coursed through his body, it was all over.

Thats the short of it. I don't think I processed it yet fully.

I remember finding a coke blocker on the interent a drug that had an off use but I didn't save the site, does anyone know what I am talking about?

Old 03-22-2008, 01:38 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User
Re: Son went back to drugs - Is there a coke blocker?

Cram,

I am so sorry to hear about your son..
It seems that I remember something from way back that was used to block cravings for cocaine. Im not sure if this is it but when my brother was deep into crack he found a doctor who prescribed him depakote for the "off use" of reducing cravings for cocaine. it made him very even tempered and detail oriented. He would work for hours on his model train collection. it was amazing. unfortunately, it wasnt the complete end for him. he went back after a couple years but eventually found his way to sobriety through AA. He has 4 years now.

I wish you luck. I will pray for your son, you, and your whole family.

michelle

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-22-2008, 03:48 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Ohno - Interesting about depokote. He was on depokote which straightened him out. He was being treated with seroquel too. But he wasn't seeking the proper medical care and both scripts ran out.

Per the internet, Isradipine and Naltrexone used together can help curb cocaine. Have you or anyone heard of them?

Ohno, thank you for answering. I think you hit the nail on the head, AA meetings. If you seriously want to quit, you have to attack it from all angles. Your brother is lucky to have you rooting for him . I wish my son's sister cared like that but she is a fair weathered friend to him.

God bless. Cram

Old 03-22-2008, 05:14 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hello Cram

Cram... everytime I have read the board today, I would see your post and just didn't know what to say to you. "I am sorry' seems so trite. I really am sorry for your troubles. Nothing hurts more than seeing our kids hurting.

I have heard of Naltrexone. It is sometimes used for alcoholics' treatment. Same with Depakote... an old standard for alcoholism. It makes sense to me if there is a cross-over for drug addiction... same receptors targeted probably. I have never heard of the other drug you mentioned.

Cram, is Son upset about his backward step? Is he open to help? I know for me I totally backed myself into a corner abusing drugs. My denial made me defiant to help for a while there. I hope, I so hope, that Son can see past his denial soon.

I am thinking of you.
reach

Old 03-22-2008, 06:36 PM   #5
(female)

redrockrag HB User

Cram, I think what you are going through must be the most difficult time imaginable and I am sorry does seem trite. Time will move forward and change will come. That is all you can count on. Hope is all we have. For what it is worth, I was up last night, couldn't sleep, day 4 of no hydros and went on the pain management board. They are all into different drugs, new drugs and there are some pretty good threads in there. Executor, who used to post here posts there and had some good, very thorough, information on different pain drugs. I would go over there and see what you can find. All the best to you.
RRR

Old 03-22-2008, 08:34 PM   #6
(female)

oldnews HB User

oh cram that is awful...cant you get him to go back on bp meds? is it too late now?

Old 03-28-2008, 05:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

What happened was a lapse? Lapse of judgment, lapse of sobriety? Drug wise he is doing good, mentally not so.

Reach the other drug is also called dynacirc (sp?). I am glad you responded b/c I remembered he was on dynacirc and depokote at the same time at the end of last year. Yesterday he said he was trying to get his high blood pressure medication refilled. That is Dynacirc!

There are so many intricate pieces to an addiction puzzle. Add the fact that most addicts have issues that need to be resolved and it is a double whammy.

RRR, interesting. I will check those posts. Thanks.

Oldnews, I was taking a handsoff approach b/c of his age but now I am full hands on to keep him moving forward.

My biggest problem is getting a weekly therapist. I am paying for his pdoc out of my pocket, I can't pay for a weekly therapist too. And he needs one bad, we are on a waiting list until May for an intake appt. The state has to get its act together, they have too many road blocks for dual diagnose pts on state aid, it is very discouraging (perhaps that is why they put the road blocks there in the first place....). Family to family is giving me the knowledge and resources to navigate this system.

Remember everyone knowledge is power, find a support group, their experience is gold, just like these boards. HUGS!!

Old 03-28-2008, 01:33 PM   #8
(female)

oldnews HB User

Cram, isnt it terrible..such a doubleedge sword..so many pieces of the puzzle..im right where you are with the addict son,but he wasnt really diagnosed with bp..his drug use made that kinda impossible for a doctor to properly diagnosis. now im told that he should be clean for a year so they can tell if he has a mental illness. it does make sense to me because drugs really mess up your brain. we were told he has a mood disorder but it doesnt take abrain surgeon to see that..im not impressed with any of these pdocs or tdocs..its like a crap shoot..it stinks

Old 03-29-2008, 01:32 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

CavemanJones HB User
Arrow Re: Son went back to drugs - Is there a coke blocker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldnews View Post
Cram, isnt it terrible..such a doubleedge sword..so many pieces of the puzzle..im right where you are with the addict son,but he wasnt really diagnosed with bp..his drug use made that kinda impossible for a doctor to properly diagnosis. now im told that he should be clean for a year so they can tell if he has a mental illness. it does make sense to me because drugs really mess up your brain. we were told he has a mood disorder but it doesnt take abrain surgeon to see that..im not impressed with any of these pdocs or tdocs..its like a crap shoot..it stinks
Here, had eye a pricey Peruvian marching powder jones for a 2 year tenure as 80's auto mechanic in Chicago. Very nearly wound up jailed or dead but no, thank Jesus Alou.

It were Tegretol that made using cocaine nauseating - enough so as to cause one to finally quit coke once and for all, like Anabuse would for alcoholism.

Several years later, quitting Tegretol & settled on a Trazadone regimen (mood elevator), consequently, clean and sober for years on end, now.

Thank ye Jesus and thank ye, Lorde.

-CJ

Last edited by CavemanJones; 03-29-2008 at 01:45 PM.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:10 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

cram315 HB User

Oldnews,

Yes, I recently found out the same, they need them totally off drugs to see who the real person is. She may know more than I do about him or she is saying this b/c he is on suboxone.

She is treating him for bipolar but I think she has her doubts on that dx.

Is your son seeing anyone? Is he on any mood stabilizers? Many pdocs and tdocs are quacks. It is a shame. That is why I am paying his pdoc out of my pocket, b/c I trust her and he needs her.

Caveman - my son was on trazedone (I believe). It was medication overkill, he went off of it. Tegretol's side effect is nausea, do you think it helps cut coke use down or just torques up the nausea factor in some people?

Tegretor says it is for neuroalgia. My son was on neurontin. But it also says it is for manic bp and I don't know if my son is manic bp or just the manic comes out when he does coke.

What he needs to do is get off of suboxone. He uses that for pain relief and to stay away from presciption narcotics.

I don't want him to go back on pain pills. He likes suboxone b/c he functions without getting sick (I guess if he ran out of pills). He said the money he went through....I know at one point all his video games were gone, I even think some of his systems are gone (sold). He can talk to me freely these days and he was telling me habits for buying off the streets (pills) can be in excess of $100 a day. Wow, I had no idea.

Old 03-30-2008, 07:22 AM   #11
(female)

oldnews HB User

hi cram, he was on mood stabilizers and was seeing a therapist and a pdoc..both just want to keep on changing meds..he was on at least 10 different meds over the last 12 mths..its ridicoulous and masks the real him and the real diagnosis..so now he is in an inpatient facility for the past 10 days and is clean of everything except wllbutrin for depression...he was on trazadone at home but they will not let him take that in there..this is more of a holistic approach kinda place..so he basically had a med wash...so no more suboxone, thank god. my feeling sare very mixed on sub, my son looked so high from it and had memeory loss...i just dopnt know how thinks are going to work out when he gets home in a week..they dont feeel that its medically necessary to keep him there longer than that..its a fight with the insurance company..they are referring him to a new outpatient place to got o when he gets home..hopefully they have a pdoc on staff..otherwisw we will have to find a new one.

Closed Thread