It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-19-2008, 11:35 PM   #1
(male)

outnumbered42on HB User
Red face My wife is addicted to vicodin

Any advice on what I can do to help her in her quiting would be greatly app. The problem is for the last 4 years Ive been her supplier. When my middle child was born it caused my wifes back to hurt very bad, when we figuredout the doc couldnt do anything for her we started buying them off the streets. Well recently shes started to get sick we think because of prolonged usage so she has made the disicion to stop. I feel really resposible and anything I can do to help her im willing to do.

Thank you in advance

Old 05-20-2008, 12:05 AM   #2
(female)

ReadyToBeDone HB User
Re: My wife is addicted to vicodin

Hello & welcome.

Well, I think you know the first thing you have to do. Quit supplying them to her. The next thing is probably to get her to a Dr. & be honest about the problem. Not only will she need help getting detoxed, she needs a thorough check up to see if and what damage has been done, and to be treated. The doctor will have some additional suggestions, maybe rehab or outpatient.

I know you feel guilty, but stay strong. We addicts can be very good at sensing guilt and using it to get what we want.

RTBD

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-20-2008, 03:59 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Good morning.

You're lucky, vicodan is a lesser opiate comparably. I think that you should both sit down and discuss a tapering program, maybe over a couple of weeks. This would greatly lessen the withdrawl symptoms and make it easier to quit the vicious circle that it opiate dependancy.

Good luck, keep posting on your progress and read some posts. There is alot of good advice to be had here.

peace, and God bless.

jerry.

Old 05-20-2008, 08:27 AM   #4
(male)

outnumbered42on HB User
Talking Re: My wife is addicted to vicodin

Thankyou for your responce. Rather than going through a doc she wants to do it at home. She was up to about 12-14, 10mg lorecetes a day when she finally decided to quit. She made a first initiall cut back to 6or7 a day and that was 3 days ago so far shes doing pretty good. says she has the jitters, RLS, and trouble sleeping.Another problem is she is a stay at home mom and trying to take care of a 3year old while going through this I think would be next to impossible so I have been staying home with her, however if I dont go back to work soon we will either starve or be evicted. Just reading all you guys other threads is very encouageing and I think my stumbling on to this forum was a God send I am gonna get her to create a user id so she can talk with you all directly. Thank you for all your support now and in the future.

Ill keep you all in my prayers jason

Old 05-20-2008, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

jerry111165a HB User

Jason, again,welcome to the board.

Lets put it this way, it was indeed a godsend when I too found this board; without it theres a good chance I wouldnt be clean right now talking to you.

I think its a great idea for her to create a username to chat w/ us, to let us know whats going on. She may be able to find the strength here that it sounds like she needs.

If you two really want to do this then you're going to need a good taper plan and stick to it. You hold the pills,not her. No giving out extras when she says she really,really, really needs them, you know what I mean?
Make a chart, figure out what would be a good plan without taking too,too long to taper and really do it. She's not using really hard drugs, it shouldnt be too bad. It will definetly be uncomfortable, but the things worth having are worth being uncomfortable for,right?

She can do this. You can both do this together and come out of this smiling.
I know its what you need and what you want so DO IT.

Please keep posting, and you can never read enough here. read alot of posts. They may help you more than you know.

good luck, peace, and God bless.

jerry.

Old 05-20-2008, 06:27 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

oh-notagain HB User

Hi, and welcome to you both... Please stick around and keep posting so we can help. ok?
also, please dont forget to read the second thread on this board - the sample home detox thread. there is a lot of useful advice on there to help with some of the symptoms of withdrawl, and hopefully keep your wife a bit more comfortable. A lot of people on here have reported that some of it works.

Hey Guys, how about of little bit of input on what worked for you in your home detox. to help our new friend here, ok?

take care, i'll look forward to hearing from you again.

michelle

Closed Thread