It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2008, 09:33 AM   #1
(female)

Cathy01 HB User
stepbrother ruining life

Stepbrother lives in different state and we have come to the conclusion that he is an addict. He was married for about 18 yrs, don't know details of divorce or have ever really talked with himabout it. He had been in AA for years but is drinking again. He was the trustee for my fathers/stepmothers estate but was stealing from it and had him removed. We (stepsister) and I now realize the has really bad problems, probably more than just drinking. He and his sister are not on good terms and I live 1,200 miles away. He has recently said he has lung cancer, but pretty sure that is a lie...really..there is way more to story so won't go into. Maybe he thinks he has it, but has had no treatment,we just don't know. He has mentioned several times probably won't make it past December, is he going to do something to himself? Also has a very young very pretty girlfriend (mid 20's, he is in 50's)we feel was/has been taking advantage of him. She was enjoying the benefits of him stealing from estate, but he no longer has access to the estate..(they do not live together, she has 3 kids) If she were truly his girlfriend she wouldn't let him be in the state he is in, he looks like a street bum. He really has let himself go, only shaves and showers when he has to make an appearence. Do we just let him hit rock bottom, he is probably there now. You hear about having to let addicts get there before they are willing to get help. He can no longer hold a job, had an extremely good paying profession but was let go because of drinking. I have asked him about his addiction over the phone a few times but he will not discuss. I don't think there is anything we can do, it has to be up to him. Any suggestions out there?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread