It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-09-2008, 06:27 PM   #1
(female)

mrslove10 HB User
Re: day 1 detoxing from oxycodone, stop by and visit me

Hello to all,
Im new to this site, but Im here for a good reason: support! My husband and I have been taking oxycodone and other various pills for the past 10 or so months, me longer but it has gotten very bad latley. My husband is a carpenter and last October he fell off a ladder at work and broke both his arms (ouch rite!) He had surgery on holloween and now he has pins, plates and all kinds of other shiney metals in both wrists. I have been in 2 major car accidents 1 in 2001 and another in 2006, So anyway we have been prescribed all kinds of pills for the pain but it has not been enough we have been finding "alternitive" meens to get more than what we are prescribed every month...And now we are finished! (hopefully!) the pills are running our lives and b/c both of us are using its hard. its sat nite and we have both decided that we have had enough of the pills to last us a lifetime. we took the last of what we had and are DREADING tomorrow! ANY ADVISE ANYONE CAN GIVE US WILL BE GREATLEY APPRICIATED! like I said we are new to this site so any usefull info for dealing with the withdraw will help, I have herd its terrible, but we really want to get over this and are ready to face reality.

Wish us luck, thanks

Old 08-09-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
(female)

ajd77 HB User

Good luck to you, hang in there. I've been waiting for a response to my question, was wondering if it was normal to go through CT symptoms, feel better, then bad again?? Hopefully somebody has some answers for me..been through it all, flu symptoms, fever, chills, feeling drained, bp going up, I quit ten days ago, I've been taking narcotics for three years, at one point I was taking 20 oxy a day, then codeine. It is a hard road, my friend, but I think you're on the right track. Your husband and you can do it..good luck!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2008, 08:22 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

granny0 HB User
Re: My husband and I have been taking oxycodone

Hi there,

The 2nd "sticky" listed on this site is "Sample Home Detox" and it is full of information on what to expect and what remedies may help. It's good that your pills are gone. That way, if you want to give in, you have no pills to take. Also, since it is both you and your husband, you will be there to support each other though the worst of it. The worst is usually days 3 through 5. After that, things begin to improve. You should also consider going to NA meetings. Quitting is one thing, but learning new behavior and finding outside support is a must for most people.

Best wishes,

JB

Old 08-10-2008, 04:41 AM   #4
(female)

trophywifenomor HB User

Hi there! I just want you to know that you CAN do this and it is definitely worth it! If you really want to do this, just put it in perspective. You have both been taking this pill that has been running your lives for several months now and making you miserable. I can tell you from my own experience that the w/d were horrible, but you know what? For me they only lasted about 3-4 days at their worst and then they turned for the better. I know that depending on your usage it could be a few days longer, but lets say the worst lasts a week...what is a week compared to the rest of your lives being normal and happy? You can handle anything for a week! It might be the toughest most miserable week of your life (which I highly doubt, but it WILL be hard so log in often for support) but you both CAN do it! You also have each other for support. One week; that's all!

Now of course, the mental part lasts longer which I am finding out myself. There is also that mental addiction that comes along with it. Your brain will play tricks on you and tell you that you need it to have fun or do this or that, but once you are past the withdrawals those are MUCH, MUCH easier to handle. So, the question is, can't you handle anything for a week? If I had known that was all it was going to take to get past the worst of it, I would have done it a long time ago!

I look back now and think how foolish I have been and how much time I have lost. Here it is 7 days clean for me and I am laughing, smiling, I have more energy, a great outlook and I don't "need" it. I do struggle day to day with "wanting" it, but that's different from my body "needing" it because of the w/d. I've realized I'm stronger than I thought and now that I'm passed the week of hell, I can ward of the "wants" much easier.

The people on this board are amazing and will be here for you through your darkest times. Count on us, we will support you! The key for you two will be to do it together, but you both have to want to do it for yourselves, and the other key will be to post often to get encouragement and inspiration.

I wish you the best of luck!! We are rooting for you!!

love and hugs!!

Old 08-11-2008, 01:03 AM   #5
(female)

mrslove10 HB User

hi all. well day 1 sucks! me and my husband have been in bed all day, watching mindless movies, and now its going on 4am and im dreading work today..feel like my skin crawling and I want to jump out of my skin, or the nearest window....we HAVE to work and Im not sure how this is going to play out. I will keep posting, but this is really hard.

thanks to all who have posted back, its nice.

Old 08-11-2008, 05:27 AM   #6
(female)

ashamed101 HB User

Yay! You got thru Day 1! That's a great start. Take one day at a time...one hour at a time...one minute at a time. Whatever you can handle. My advice would be to stay busy, eat healthy and drink lots of water. It's a wonderful thing you and your hubby are doing this together. What better support than that?

I'm tapering off hydrocodone so haven't detoxed yet...but have been getting wonderful support here and have learned so much. So I really can't give you much more advice. Know that the people here are terrific and always ready to offer help, support or an ear... I wish you much luck and am rootin' for ya!

Let us know how today goes.

Many blessings,

A~

Closed Thread