It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2008, 02:00 AM   #1
(female)

james211987 HB User
husband's methodone withdrawal

hI ALL! New to the boards. My husband is detoxing from 40mg of methadone, cold turkey. He took methadone for about 7 months after 1 month of opiate abuse. His last dose of methadone was Fri. Nov. 21st so tomorrow morning will be a week and I have to say I'm very proud of him. He has all the withdrawal symptoms, cold/hot sweats, runny nose, a little vomiting, can't sleep, legs feel like they are being eaten by termites. He's done very well with the w/d's he said the worst part is that he can't sleep, said if he could sleep he would feel a lot better. So with that being said any ideas? He doesn't have health insurance or a Dr. and going off methadone was a money issue, it cost us $390 a month and with a daughter to feed and care for and bills and with him not working we couldn't afford it, we are about to lose his car because I'm paying for everything and I simply can't afford it. But anyways back to the not sleeping. He's taking 20mg of Flexeril (we got this from his mom) for the past 2 nights and it's not helping with sleep, we've also tried melatonin & unisom. Scared to try tylenol pm, benadryl or nyquil, from reading other sites i've heard those 3 have sent people into bad withdrawals. Also from anyone who has detoxed cold turkey from methadone, about how long does the worst of it last?
Happy Thanksgiving!!!!! Thank you for reading this!

Last edited by mod-anon; 12-02-2008 at 11:29 AM. Reason: starting a new thread with this post.

Old 11-27-2008, 06:51 AM   #2
(male)

behindblueyez19 HB User
Re: methadone detox

I was on 80mg of methadone a day for about the past two years. I stoped cold turkey. I had all the w/d's.. I didn't get the leg thing so much but I got it in my arms pretty bad.. I was throwing up for a few days.. I've got a really bad ulcer anyways, but I'd have really bad stomach ache's for days on end.. Which i've learned to block out so its not so bad.. But anyways.. It's been 18 days and I haven't had anything except zanax to help me sleep.. Which they worked really well. You just gotta be careful you don't take to much.. but half a one would put me out for at least 6hrs.. But it being day 18 I still have my bad days.. But i'm starting to get my good one's back to. I still don't have alot of energy, no modavation to do anything. But i've been forcing myself to get up and do something! So it helps to keep moving.. Keeps your mind of things. It deff hasn't been easy, but I'm proud to say its the best thing I've ever done for myself! Good luck to your husband! And have a happy thanksgiving!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread