It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-28-2009, 10:40 AM   #1
(female)

libbet HB User
my son's addiction

I am so afraid for my son, where he is going. He is 24 yrs old, and sadly, addicted to crack cocaine and alcohol. On the inside, he is a beautiful person. But these substances have got a strangle-hold on him, and I am so afraid that I will watch as he ends up either dead, or in prison... or both! I need some kind of help in dealing with the hopelessness. I have already been hospitalized because of the stress. There's got to be someone out there who can help...

Old 09-28-2009, 11:46 AM   #2
Veteran
(female)

NotPerky HB User
Re: my son's addiction

Libbet, welcome and I'm going through the same with my son (30). He's on heroin. Can I ask you a few questions? Is your son living with you? Does he have insurance? Has he been to rehab? Does he want to quit drugs? Does he go to any support groups? Do you go to any support groups? Does he have a job? Do you pay his bills or give him money? Are you getting any help, such as counseling, anti-depressants, etc.? A little more detail about your story would help.....we're here for you.....I understand how hopeless it seems.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-29-2009, 12:28 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

mel486 HB User

Hi Libbet - welcome to the forum. You have a big problem on your hands, but until your son makes the decision on his own, forcing him to get off of the drugs probably will not go far. Like NotPerky asked, is he living at home? Sometimes tough love will help a person realize that they have a problem and will seek out help. If they have not decided in their own mind that they've hit rock bottom, then they will probably not consider stopping. Cutting him off from his money supply or asking to leave might push him to the edge to realize what he is doing to you and himself. Good Luck!!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 05:18 AM   #4
(female)

libbet HB User
my son's addiction

A bit of background: my son does not live with me, i don't give him money. He has no insurance, and usually has no job. Right now he is homeless, staying in a camper. He is currently in a love-hate relationship with someone who constantly messes with his head. I have been taking anti-depressant Rx for approximately 13 years, ever since my youngest daughter died from Leukemia. She and my son were extremely close, inseparable! He has been struggling with the loss, grief, depression ever since that day. The doc's tried anti-depressants with him, which sent him directly over the edge into being suicidal.

Old 09-29-2009, 06:02 AM   #5
(female)

libbet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mod-anon View Post
Libbet,

I have taken the liberty of merging your two threads, so that folks can follow and respond easier.
thankyou-this is all new to me so feel free to help me out when i do dumb things. LOL

Old 10-04-2009, 08:37 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Hi, and welcome! i haven't been on the boards in awhile...but they saved me when I was going through this very same thing! You need to take care of YOU! As a mother, especially, we get caught up in their every moment. where are they? don't hear from him every day, you imagine the worst, they are not a joy to be around, if you can even stand them for a few hours! i have been there. and yes it's hard as hell! but WE make it hard. I also have a 24 yr old, was addicted to xanax and drank, along with the xanax...which turned him into an animal........What YOU have to do is get to some meetings where everyone in the room can relate. You'd be amazed!! Prayers are with you....and by the way...my son is sober and happy and a joy to be around...when I got better, he got better!!!!!

Last edited by flintrock; 10-04-2009 at 08:38 AM. Reason: add to

Old 10-04-2009, 04:51 PM   #7
(male)

Hans Gruber HB User

Libbet,
I suspect there is more to your story to tell. But you need to take care of yourself. I suspect the family environment growing up for your son was no ideal. Nobody's is. However, what's done is done. Your son will hopefully have some kind of come to Jesus meeting in his head. After that, who knows. Take care of yourself. I hope your son sees the light and stops abusing his mind and body with drugs.

As for you. Find a good doctor and get on an anti depressant and perhaps an anti anxiety drug. It's obvious you care a great deal about your son. You can only hope and pray that he hits rock bottom and makes his way back to health and safety. \

Best wishes!

Closed Thread