It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-05-2010, 11:52 PM   #1
(male)

m41 HB User
A family in pain

My faghter in law seems to have taken his alcoholism to new heights. Whereas it was every night only, it has recently taken to drinking 600 mls per night of hard liquor.

This has been going on for about 25 years and it's left his family in shambles. The kids are now adults coping with their next generation as well as they can. Many of them have problems too becuase of growing up in this evironment.

For the most part, he'd wake up late and eat strategically to counter the toxic effects of the alcohol. In the day time he would not drink (which only amounted to a few hours anyway. In the day time, he would have reasonable, logical conversations.

The worst part now is he is also drinking upon waking up, and he starts making ridiculous/incoherent conversations and sends rambling, paranoid emails. He has become agressive with his wife and making improbable allegations about her.

Is this some sort of alcohol dementia that is the result of 25 years of stripping away the brain's power?

What are some of the things we might be able to do? Are there any nutritional or pharmacological approaches to take (ie Thiamine, any good medications that you all can recommend?). Your feedback will bring hope to our lives as we wish to take the right turn before his system shuts down permanently.

We need our father back

The following user gives a hug of support to m41:
sawthelight (08-20-2011)
Old 07-06-2010, 09:41 PM   #2
(male)

Cburger HB User
Re: A family in pain

Actually, there is little you and your family can do. He has to make the decision on his own to seek out help and to stop drinking. You can help him toward that decision. His wife leaving an abusive situation might help make him see that the alcohol is destroying what he loved in the past. 25 years of hard drinking can take its toll on the body and especially the brain. Something significant needs to happen in his life to make him say, enough is enough and to stop drinking. This is probably not the answer you were looking for. I'm sorry.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread