It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-10-2011, 06:10 AM   #1
(female)

813roxy HB User813roxy HB User
Just ridiculous....

That literally 99% of the threads here are opiate related. Just makes me sick that doctors don't warn people of what they are getting into. But what's worse is that pharmaceutical companies can't develop new meds for pain that are non-narcotic and not addicting. Grrrr....just my rant. I'm sure many of you feel this way.

Old 01-10-2011, 06:26 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

second go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB Usersecond go HB User
Re: Just ridiculous....

i really feel sorry for the 15-20 year olds who think oxys are a fad now, and will all be going through withdrawals sooner or latr... pills are everywhere, and yes, its sickening...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2011, 09:07 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User

There are plenty of pain medications out there that are non narcotic and non addicting.

Problem is, the majority of people (and no, I dont have scientific proof or any other legitimate info backing my claim) overstate their injury and pain cuz one person or another tells them how good oxy is for pain.

It has been proven that you are less likely to get addicted to pain meds if your pain is legitimate. We live in a society of excess. We cant take just the prescribed dosage....it wont get us high, so we take twice as much and justify it by saying the original dosage wasn't enough.

Getting back to the original comment, there are NSAIDS and gabbapenten (sp) and plenty of others.

I dont know what plant you would need to be from for a doctor to have to tell you how addictive oxys can be. Hell, I knew weeks before my first script that I would end up in rehab if I took them. And guess what..............

Old 01-10-2011, 10:18 AM   #4
(female)

Corissa, you made good points. Of course I'm aware that there are non narcotic pain meds. I'd be willing to bet doctors prescribe opiates more than any other type of pain med, to people with legitimate pain. I'm not referring to the addicts who go to a doc and lie to get their fix. True, it's 2011- most people probably do know about the dangers of opiates. But what about ten years ago? That's when I first was prescribed Xanax. If I knew what I know now, I would've never filled the script. People with chronic pain are dependent on these opiates, and from what I'm reading on this board, it doesn't seem like many people WANT to be taking these pills to not only help relieve pain, but to avoid being sick without them. Tell a person with severe, chronic pain to take a couple advils after they have been on oxycontin...just my opinion.

Old 01-10-2011, 10:36 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

corissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB Usercorissa3 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by 813roxy View Post
Corissa, you made good points. Of course I'm aware that there are non narcotic pain meds. I'd be willing to bet doctors prescribe opiates more than any other type of pain med, to people with legitimate pain. I'm not referring to the addicts who go to a doc and lie to get their fix. True, it's 2011- most people probably do know about the dangers of opiates. But what about ten years ago? That's when I first was prescribed Xanax. If I knew what I know now, I would've never filled the script. People with chronic pain are dependent on these opiates, and from what I'm reading on this board, it doesn't seem like many people WANT to be taking these pills to not only help relieve pain, but to avoid being sick without them. Tell a person with severe, chronic pain to take a couple advils after they have been on oxycontin...just my opinion.
HEY, i am on YOUR side with this debate. I just think people knowing get in with oxys thinking they wont get addicted but need the kind of relief they provide.

I didnt know xanax was addictive until I joined this board. I liked them and used them when I had them but that was that. I didnt seek them out much. But now, NO WAY.
I for one, when wanted off this so called joy ride, took advil and naproxen and I m good. Well, Im not good cuz I am on methadone.

Okay then.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-13-2011 at 09:21 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 11:13 AM   #6
(male)

spicemeister HB User

I decided 2.5 years ago to get off Hydrcodone which I'd been prescribed for 9 years do to Post Polio. The pain is very real..so is the addiction that comes from HMO's who toss out narcotics like candy to avoid more expensive procedures. As for the alternative..the medication you take while getting use to not taking oxy, hydro, what ever..Suboxone..it is, in the truest sense of the word, a miracle drug. It is also Very Expensive. You'd best have insurance of some sort or be wealthy. When you hit the "Do-nut Hole" (where you pay the entire price) you could end up paying anywhere from $500 to $700 a month depending on the amount you're taking. If you're hooked on narcotics and want out, this is the path I'd suggest. Ask your doctor and Good Luck!

BTW: There are some programs that will help financially if you are really strapped.

Last edited by spicemeister; 01-10-2011 at 11:15 AM. Reason: add financial hel

Old 01-10-2011, 11:56 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by spicemeister View Post
I decided 2.5 years ago to get off Hydrcodone which I'd been prescribed for 9 years do to Post Polio. The pain is very real..so is the addiction that comes from HMO's who toss out narcotics like candy to avoid more expensive procedures. As for the alternative..the medication you take while getting use to not taking oxy, hydro, what ever..Suboxone..it is, in the truest sense of the word, a miracle drug. It is also Very Expensive. You'd best have insurance of some sort or be wealthy. When you hit the "Do-nut Hole" (where you pay the entire price) you could end up paying anywhere from $500 to $700 a month depending on the amount you're taking. If you're hooked on narcotics and want out, this is the path I'd suggest. Ask your doctor and Good Luck!

BTW: There are some programs that will help financially if you are really strapped.

When I lived in Florida (Destin), I had to drive 1.5hrs DAILY to the methadone clinic AND it was $25 bucks!!!! So, I got the doc to double my dose and I went every other day.

If I had to pay up to 700 a day, I would probably use the oxy taper instead....... much easier to quit oxys than methadone imho,

Last edited by Administrator; 01-13-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:31 PM   #8
(female)

Corissa,

So are you only on Methadone now? I'm in Florida, and my DH took his last methadone six days ago. Now he's tapering from oxy's. He has detoxed from oxy's before(about 7yrs ago), but even with the oxy's he's taking, he is having meth w/d's. Mostly just anxiety and he can't sleep. Ambien doesn't even help.
I can't believe the difference in cost. Do you plan on continuing the methadone for a certain amount of time?
Whatever you do, good luck! And sorry for getting defensive in my last post...a little stressed out due to finances with him being on the methadone and the tapering.

And Spicemaster, is suboxone not a narcotic? I'm confused. Good luck to you as well. That's a lot of money for pain relief.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-13-2011 at 09:23 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 12:55 PM   #9
(male)

spicemeister HB User

$700 a month. I can pay approx $80 a month up to a certain dollar amount and then the price increases until you reach the tier that forces the hapless addict to pay the entire amount. On the bright side, have you ever seen those Listerine Breath strips you place in your mouth. The company that makes Suboxone has a version in that format. I've heard it's as effective and much cheaper. Take Care..

Last edited by Administrator; 01-13-2011 at 09:24 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 01:16 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

813Roxy,

No apology needed here, I feel your pain. Yes, I plan on staying on methadone for a while. I get my needed "fix" from it and it takes all the urges away and I feel fantastic. It was 750 a month for me in Florida until I went every other day. The clinic would drop your dose if you missed more than 2 days otherwise I would have stretched it out to every 3 days.

Liquid handcuffs.

Last edited by Administrator; 01-13-2011 at 09:25 AM.

Old 01-10-2011, 07:04 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User

nothing works on my pain. even the oxys aren't that great. they are better than advil and tylenol. i think if you have chronic pain that you are just SOL because why doesn't the dose keep working. I never took drugs recreationally. the oxys have made me physically addictive but the pain also keeps me taking them. i am sick of the cycle. But when i do lower the oxys the pain in my neck is so bad all i think about is the pain. i can't do anything. i was going to have injections but the weather closed the doctors office and i have to wait another month. i can go get my refill but that is about it. oh well. i feel like i am ranting. and naproxen just makes my stomach hurt so bad. my biggest problem is my neck and the discs are bulging and i have bone spurs and arthritis real bad. does anyone know anything else good for pain?

Old 01-10-2011, 09:40 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Amen to that Sister!

Old 01-11-2011, 08:54 AM   #13
(male)

spicemeister HB User

Thanks! I'm working on a Suboxone taper..started at 20mg a day 8-8-08/ am now down to 10mg a day. Making progress. Then, get started on getting off benzos..much more difficult!

Old 01-11-2011, 02:10 PM   #14
(male)

spicemeister HB User

Hi, Emsmom..oh, so true. I stretched the limits by testing myself recently. I got by for two days on 2mg. I can cut down to 10mg now with ease and defray some of the cost that's waiting when I "Fall Into The GAP!" Take Care All

Old 01-12-2011, 07:14 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

You will be fine as long as you remember the long road to recovery you have traveled....God Bless and Be Safe!

Closed Thread