It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #1
(male)

Jerseyman HB User
Dad addicted to Nyquil

My dad broke his nose when he was young. I've never asked him how old he was when it happened. Ironically, he told me when I was in the hospital with a broken nose. I wasn't in any condition to carry on a conversation, so that's as far as I know. I'm currently 21. When I was around 10, I started to notice my dad taking Nyquil now and again. I remember one time in the car with him he took a swig straight from the bottle. I remember asking him why he didn't use the measuring cup; to which he said something to the effect of: "I've taken it enough to measure it in my mouth." Throughout the years I continued to see him use Nyquil. I would see empty bottles in his car and his room. I'm concerned that he doesn't understand the effects Acetaminophen has on the liver. He's developed skin cancer, which may be related, but I'm not sure. He thinks Nyquil is some kind of miracle drug. I fear that what may have started as a genuine relief from the pain of his broken nose and his damaged sinuses has now become a hopeless addiction

What makes this situation particularly strange is that my dad is a strict authoritarian. He was military police when he was younger and is very strict when it comes to the law. I think he's deluded himself into thinking that he's not abusing a drug, because it's legal and is supposed to be medicine. It's ultimatetly very sad. I can see the effects it is having on his mind. When I was young he was always uncontrollably angry. It is the reason my parents split up. As time has gone on, his anger has become more and more irrational and hypocritical. My sister claims he is even showing symtoms similiar to Alzhiemers. For example, last month he said "say hello to your grandmother for me," when she had died 8 months prior.

Has anybody heard of something like this? I wish he would just use a less damaging drug like Marijuana or something, which I use, but he's in this crazy denial about the legality of what he is doing. If I suggest that he start using Marijuana instead, he would probably reprimand me about smoking pot for 20 minutes. What should I do. I want to confront him about it, but given the obsticals, I have found it impossible.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2011, 03:10 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

oxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB Useroxygirl HB User
Re: Dad addicted to Nyquil

Oh Child I am sorry for you. I say child as I am 42 and old enough to be your mama. My advice to you is listen to your sister cause it sounds like alzheimers could be in very early stages. Look for the signs and symptoms cause sometimes it progresses rapidly. As for the Nyquil don't give him too much grief cause obviously it isn't going to help. You might just mention it in a casual setting but don't appear to be lecturing him. One thing an older military parent hates is being on the other end. lol. I know you love your dad and think pot would be better for him but it might set him off more if he has big time anger issues. Pot affects everyone differently. And again as a parent....don't tell him. You sound reasonably smart so you read up on it and decide for yourself how it affects you. Just keep watch on him and see if you can figure out just how much nyquil he is actually using. Acetaminaphin is rough on the liver and it can be very dangerous to him. maybe if you sort of had that discussion and slipped in about the nyquil having it. Sorry not to be of much help to you

Let us know how he is doing

Old 01-30-2011, 03:13 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

jonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB Userjonnstar HB User

Nyquil isnt a drug of addiction, your dad might overuse or misuse it, but he could stop tomorrow if he wanted to

Multiple anecdotes do not equal evidence - Me

Old 04-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
(female)

eatmyliver HB User

I'm sorry Jonnstar but you are wrong. People can get very addicted to Nyquil, just the same as a person can become addicted to drinking alcohol. My older brother was a recovering alcoholic for 4 months when he got a cold, took nyquil, decided he liked the feeling and hasn't stopped. He's been drinking it constantly for 4 months. He acts abnormal. Normal enough to know he's not drinking full blown alcohol again, but strange enough to know that he's definitely on something.

He's gaining tons of weight, won't listen to anybody about the effects it's having on his body. I know what you mean about the anger thing. I know it has to do with the Nyquil because he's normally a very nice person. Recently he's hard to live with. My advice to you. Tell your dad the effects drinking so much Nyquil can have on him. Tell him how it can severly destroy his liver, and how it's peeling years off his life. I say things to my brother, but he is so mean and angry now to the point that I never talk to him anymore and I keep my distance. That might sound bad, but he only has mean crap to say to me. At least in the end, no matter what happens you will know that you did everything you could. Your dad and my brother are both grown men, we can't force them to do anything. They have to make their own decisions.

Old 04-13-2012, 12:27 PM   #5
(male)

SadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonnstar View Post
Nyquil isnt a drug of addiction, your dad might overuse or misuse it, but he could stop tomorrow if he wanted to
Actually this isn't completely true. Nyquil contains Dextromethorphan (DMX) which in higher doses is a dissociative hallucinogen. From the wikipedia page on DMX:
"It can produce distortions of the visual field - feelings of dissociation, distortions of bodily perception, excitement, as well as a loss of sense of time. Some users report stimulant-like euphoria"

True he could probably stop using tomorrow and not experience any physical withdrawals, but the same could be said of marijuana and I know many people who would say someone could be addicted to marijuana. Nyquil is more powerful than most people think.

Good luck to you on getting help for your Dad.

Old 04-22-2012, 02:51 PM   #6
(female)

amiisane HB User

Wow. I am apalled over what I am hearing. Obviously addiction is not understood by some people. Nyquil has alcohol in it (hello!), very addicting. My mom used to be addicted to it. She is not an addict, so she was able to stop (not sure if she suffered withdrawal). However, I am an addict/alcoholic. I know how our brains work! A person can get addicted to anything, even marijuana. If something gets you out of yourself, and you continue to use it for that reason (or because you like the feeling of not feeling normal), there's an issue. I know it's sad to see your dad like that; my dad has the same issue with alcohol. He is stubborn and is in denial as well. All you can do is tell him how you feel (with out bringing up any substances he can replace it with; if he has an addictive personality, he may be addicted to 2 things). Write him a letter, that's what I did. He can ponder on it and think about what you are saying. If he comes back with excuses, denial, gets defensive, or thinks he doesn't have an issue..most likely he does. It is not normal to chug any medication. Just listen to him, do not argue. It won't get anywhere, trust me.

Old 04-24-2012, 07:41 AM   #7
(male)

SadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB UserSadComputerGuy HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiisane View Post
Wow. I am apalled over what I am hearing. Obviously addiction is not understood by some people. Nyquil has alcohol in it (hello!), very addicting. My mom used to be addicted to it. She is not an addict, so she was able to stop (not sure if she suffered withdrawal). However, I am an addict/alcoholic. I know how our brains work! A person can get addicted to anything, even marijuana. If something gets you out of yourself, and you continue to use it for that reason (or because you like the feeling of not feeling normal), there's an issue. I know it's sad to see your dad like that; my dad has the same issue with alcohol. He is stubborn and is in denial as well. All you can do is tell him how you feel (with out bringing up any substances he can replace it with; if he has an addictive personality, he may be addicted to 2 things). Write him a letter, that's what I did. He can ponder on it and think about what you are saying. If he comes back with excuses, denial, gets defensive, or thinks he doesn't have an issue..most likely he does. It is not normal to chug any medication. Just listen to him, do not argue. It won't get anywhere, trust me.
Yes I think we have all forgotten that Nyquil does have 10% alcohol in it, which is more than a normal beer in alcohol strength, but I don't quite understand why you are appalled at what people are saying here. Addiction ISN"T widely understood even by people who are addicts. And the only thing I have read is people trying to help out another person. I think maybe one person has said that Nyquil isn't addicting and yes we all forgot that alcohol is an active ingredient in normal Nyquil, but I don't think that is a reason to be appalled. That is how we learn by sharing our own experiences and thoughts, and none of us ever claim to be medical doctors.

The Following User Says Thank You to SadComputerGuy For This Useful Post:
katlin09 (04-24-2012)
Closed Thread