It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-26-2011, 01:09 PM   #1
(female)

Stacybear HB User
Exclamation Major change in my alcholic mother , advice urgently plz :(

Sorry, i accidently posted this question in another section, then seen this section.

Ok for the past 20 yrs my mum has been an alcoholic. She doesnt eat (at present it has been over three weeks). In the past 4 weeks i and my family have noticed major changes in her , i will list them below and please give me your opinion on what i should do ...

Barely able to walk or balance
sleeping all day and staying up all night (my mother has always been an early bedder so this is very out of character)
Memory , she will ask me the same question over and over in our conversations, she thinks things that happened a cpl of months ago actually happened years ago, she keeps asking my sister when i left and i havent been in her house that day at all. she seems unable to store any new information for any great period of time. She thinks she has eaten a couple of days ago but she hasnt eaten for weeks ...things like that .
Vomitting everyday, last week she ate something and just threw it back up. mostly it is bile or the tea or beer she has been drinking that she throws up, at least three times a day.

She isnt really even drinking that much at the moment, maybe just three or four cans of lager a nite which is less than half of what she normally drinks. She doesnt seem to think anything is wrong with her but we can all clearly see it. My mum is 48 and has been a drinker for 20 yrs now. I heard that if it is the first signs of korsakoffs syndrome that she needs medical help asap before it gets worse. What should i do? She can barely walk to the toilet nevermind make it to the drs surgery, do i call her dr and ask for a home visit, or do i take her to accident and emergency at the hosp? im at my wits end, my family consists of my 17 yr old sister and my grandmother, and we just dont know what to do for the best. Can someone please give me an idea of what my next move should be, i hope someone can answer me soon as i cant handle this much longer. thankyou in advance x

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-26-2011, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Major change in my alcholic mother , advice urgently plz :(

Hello

I am so sorry to hear of your families troubles.

In my opinion, the very best scenerio would be for the doctor to do a home visit ( which is just about unheard of un the States) and see firsthand what her condition is. He then could hospitalize her, most probably in a hospital unit where they dry out alcoholics and treat them. If the doctor is to hospitalize her, it would provide a greater chance of her admittance and treatment.

Next best would be for your family to get her to an emergency room. Call an ambulance if need be. They will evaluate her and you can tell them your observations. My fear with this is that the hospital personnel might only perceive her as drunk, treat her and send her home.

One other option would be to call Social Services and ask them to come out and make an evaluation. Not sure how old you are, but if your sister is only 17, they should come as your mom still has legal obligations to her. Ask them what can be done. Perhaps they can help with a procedure to declare her incompetent and get ger hospitalized that way.

I wish you well. I don't know if Mom has korsakoffs syndrome or not. However, she certainly has something serious going on and needs help desperately.

Take good care of yourself and let us know what happens.
Hugs
reach

Old 09-27-2011, 07:01 PM   #3
(female)

Stacybear HB User

Hi and thanx so much for ur reply. I begged the dr to come out today and eventually she did. When she seen how skinny my mum was and how she couldnt walk she foned an ambulance. So my mum has been admitted, mostly for her legs. It was so heartbreaking listenin to her beg the dr to let her go home, i feel so guilty but id feel more guilty if i did nothing and she died. Hopefully they will help her as best they can, my stepdad is a porter in the hosp so he can nip in and see her throughout his shift, and my gran, sister and me will be to visit her tomoz afternoon. I just hope she is ok and isnt lting ther upset because none of us are with her, i jyst cant stop crying, but i knw its for the best. Thanx again and i will keep u updated xx

Old 09-27-2011, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User

Hi

I am so glad your mom has been admitted to the hospital. It is the best place for her.

Please, make sure the doctors know of her alcoholism. Sudden withdrawal can cause all kinds of problems and dangers for her. This is important!

Try to get some rest tonight. She is in good hands and you need some rest from all of this drama lately. You have been a wonderful daughter and have really stepped up to help your mother.
Keep us posted.

Hugs
reach

Closed Thread