It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2011, 02:39 PM   #1
(female)

fiveofus HB User
A bottle or two of wine

My husband of 20 years has been drinking a bottle of wine every weekday evening and then two bottles per day at the weekend. There have been times when i have found the odd empty wine bottle hidden in different parts of the house.
My husband does not think he has a problem and tells me that all normal people do it and i should get off my high horse.
A typical day is that he will go to work with a fuzzy head and return to open a bottle of wine. He will gulp it back rather than sip and usually this is consumed within 2 hours.
My husband is not able to drive thereafter as he is over the limit. There are days when he will open a second bottle, have a glass then be in bed by 8pm.
Our sex life is non existent.
My husband on his day off will purchase a bottle of wine at 9.30am, sleep and then wake up and purchase another bottle. Again he does not see this as a problem. Alcohol vol needs to be 13%+.

Old 12-11-2011, 08:28 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB UserThisby HB User
Re: A bottle or two of wine

Your husband is way off if he thinks 'all normal people' drink 9 bottles of wine a week.

He's rationalizing and the fact that he hides his empties shows he's very aware that something's wrong with his drinking.

How long has he been doing this? And what kind of effect is it having on his work?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-17-2011, 09:07 PM   #3
(male)

JRA1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thisby View Post
Your husband is way off if he thinks 'all normal people' drink 9 bottles of wine a week. ......
I agree with Thisby . As a man who enjoys alcohol Id say 3 bottles a week (every week) is too much and 9 bottles is major problem.

Last edited by JRA1; 12-19-2011 at 05:30 PM.

Old 12-21-2011, 10:32 AM   #4
(male)

souriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB Usersouriya123 HB User

your husband is definetly in denial, a bottle a day is excessive so is drinking 7 days a week,and he is doing both
your post is describing an alcoholic and although he wont face up to it you need to stick to your guns

Old 12-21-2011, 09:24 PM   #5
(male)

davee76 HB User

Sounds like a functional alcoholic to me.
A lot of people think that if you can hold down a job etc, then you don't have a drinking problem. Good luck, if he can't admit he has a problem, he can't get help.

Closed Thread