It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2012, 09:56 AM   #1
(female)

lscheffl HB User
Question Husband is an Ativan addict

My husband has been on Ativan for 8 yrs. Initially the script started out at 0.5mg 3x's a day. It is now written out for 4x's a day but my husband ends up taking 8 a day (possibly more). His doctor will refill the prescription only if he comes in to see him. Once he sees him the quack writes him out another script in which he has to pay regular price since the insurance company won't cover it. And the jerk dr gets his office visit money.

Shortly after my father passed away I was having problems coping with the loss and was put on the same drug to help me through the grief. My husband started stealing these med's from me. He's also filled my prescription (without my knowledge) so when I went to get a refill they told me it was too soon. Imagine how surprised I was to find out what he did?

We've tried everything: counselors, psychatrists (he's the one that got him addicted), support groups. He's even given me his bottle of pills to hand out to him each day so he doesn't exceed the 4 a day. However, if I take a nap or go outside he goes thru my purse and steals them. I now have to take my purse with me everywhere I go in my own house (even when I shower). If ever I get sick and the dr gives me cough medicine I have to hide that, too or else he steals it from me. WTH?

What I would like to know is - can this addiction actually be overcome? He got off alcohol in 2002 by taking Antabuse, but this stuff has a hold on him like I've never seen before. I'm literally at my wits end. We've been married for 20 yrs. My husband is 62 and I'm 52. I feel his addictions have taken the best part of our lives. We haven't been intimate in 13 yrs. He's retired now and gets a decent pension; I'm still working but not in the best of health because of all the stress and isolation. I realize I am a co-dependent and have joined a support group, but all they offer is their stories; no advice or suggestions. Where do you draw the line between helping and hurting someone?

What's so sad is that we've worked hard to get to the point of our retirement years by saving $$$ and getting the house paid off for what? To live the life of an addict?

- L.

Last edited by lscheffl; 02-05-2012 at 03:35 PM. Reason: punctuation

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-08-2012, 12:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: Husband is an Ativan addict

Hello

I am sorry about what you are dealing with concerning Hubby and Ativan. Benzos are a mean category of drugs. Your husband certainly is displaying addictive behaviour.

A benzo addiction can be overcome with a lot of determination and discipline. I was on Xanax quite a few years and finally tapered off of them. I worked with my family doctor to make a tapering schedule. When I started I was on Xanax .5 mg three times a day. It took me months to taper down and then off. In retrospect, I should have taken even longer, but I got antsy and wanted to finish. I cut one dose at a time by just a little, stayed like that for a week to ten days to stabalize and then made a small cut to another dose. Tapering off a benzo needs to be measured in progress and not time.

I am sure you now that Hubby has to want to get off of them. He seems to have some desire to do so because he does hand the pills over to you. However, his discipline fails when he goes searching through your purse. If he really gets sincere about stopping, my recommendation is to do it with the help of a doctor. My doctor would only write a script for the exact amount I needed. At first, I had to get a new script once a week, eventually once every two weeks and then once a month as I proved myself to him. I always gave the bottle to my husband who doled them out one day's worth at a time.

I wish you well as you try to deal with this. Keep in touch, okay?
Hugs
reach

The Following User Says Thank You to reachout For This Useful Post:
lscheffl (02-08-2012)
Closed Thread