It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
(male)

duane84 HB User
My dad is feeling sick - is it the alcohol?

Hi,

My dad has been feeling sick for a few months now. Nausea, dizziness, fatigue. The doctor can't find what's wrong with him. He's scheduled for an fMRI.

Could it simply be a drinking problem though? I know he used to be quite the drinker. Nowadays he claims he only drinks in moderate amounts, but I think he's in denial. Could it be his body is reacting badly to the alcohol? Or to the fact that he's drinking less now than he used to? If he stops, will he eventually get better?

He's 65, and in very good physical condition.

Thanks!

The following user gives a hug of support to duane84:
Phoenix (06-17-2012)
Old 06-11-2012, 02:58 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

reachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB Userreachout HB User
Re: My dad is feeling sick - is it the alcohol?

Hi Duane

Welcome. It is nice to see the care you have about Dad. While the alcohol could cause such problems, it can just as easily be something else amiss. It is too hard to tell. Perhaps the MRI can show somwething to help the doctor identify the cause.

Does the doctor know about Dad's drinking. Truthfully, we have a tendency to downplay the amount of drugs or alcohol we are using out of embarrassment or shame. What dad is calling "moderate" could very well be an over-abundance. IF he is drinking too much and not eating properly, it could be the cause behind his nasuea and fatigue and dizziness. However, my hubby, a non-drinker, had these symptoms and it turned out to be a result of sleep apnea.

Hope the cause is determined soon.
Best wishes
reach

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2012, 03:22 PM   #3
(male)

duane84 HB User

Thanks for the support. Best wishes to you and your hubby.

One love!

Old 06-12-2012, 03:19 AM   #4
Inactive
(female)

Tysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB UserTysmom1 HB User

Duane84, sorry to hear about your dad. I hope you get some results in the near future. Keep us posted and good luck to you.

Old 06-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #5
(male)

Jackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB UserJackbeanstalk HB User

Hi Duane, I do know that alcohol breaks down into a nasty toxin inside the drinker, after a while the alcohol messes with people's intestines, causing mal-absortion of nutrients and diarrea, that can cause those symptoms. May I ask what he drinks, and for how long and how much? JB

Old 06-23-2012, 09:57 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

feelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB Userfeelbad HB User

did this doc actually run a FULL set of labs on him? one way to help tell is to get a good look at his lab sheets. they will give you a much clearer picture of how his liver is working(if you can get them and post them here i can tell you). if he has not yet gotten any of his ongoing testing results(labs. MRIs, ultrasounds. ANY testing at all), he needs to, and for many reasons too. it helps the patient to keep track or 'trend' their labs among other things. i have a liver and a kidney disease so i have to do this yearly. and he just DOES also need that good 'look' inside his upper GI and the lower areas too, but more importantly where that liver is up in that upper and all it is just interconnected to.

but alot of info IS contained about his overall organ and metaboilic functions, of not only his liver, but probably also his kidneys as well. it is usually 'standard" to do these two things kind of together. and there just needs a good loook at both areas too. do you know if he had ANY of his lab functions pop out out of range in any way?

functions do NOT start to get out of their norm ranges until the overall damage in/of the organ starts impacting function losses of any given organ, just so you know. and also by that time, the diease process is usually pretty progressed since we just really CAN compensate pretty well, with pretty much no real lab changes, "until' with most liver and some kidney diseases pretty darn well until we just 'can't' anymore.

is he having ANY other ongoing symptoms other than you described? even something seemingly insignificant can be a something too with liver and/or kidney disease. when are they planning on doing his MRI? make CERTAIN that he obtains every single copy of any further or past testing he has had at LEAST within the past year too, including the upcomming MRI as well. i always get everything ever tested on me so "I" have all my own records to compare to too. it's just always a really good idea so he/you just always have them(just keep them all in one file at home), esp in case of an emergency.

everyone in the US has a "right' to all of their own medical info, including all docs clinic visit notes, surgical notes and any tests results too. just an FYI for ya. but he NEEDS to obtain the stuff to really get any true answers(docs just really are not always that helpful). what has his doc said about his condition so far? hopefully things are not what you may think. his symptoms could easily fit with many different conditions/reasons too. but please let us know what you find out. marcia

Closed Thread