It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-10-2012, 07:57 PM   #1
(female)

Daisy458 HB User
How do yo know if someone you love is using heroin?

What can a mother do when worried about drug use of adult son what are yj signs? Extreme weight loss? Red spots? What can I do? Any suggestions of how you can find out and how to know? I ask but he denies.

The following user gives a hug of support to Daisy458:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-12-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User
Re: How do yo know if someone you love is using heroin?

Hi Daisy-
Welcome!
Well, I'm sure others more experienced will chime in, but I do have a not with this drug.
Weight loss can be a sign, bruising, red marks (injection sites on the arms, hands.... Possibly feet).... loss of energy, nodding out. Stuff like that.
Why do u think he is using? What are the other signs?
You can purchase urine tests at the pharmacy... can u ask him to take it? Maybe if he lives with you, you could be more forceful with your asking this of him?
What makes you think heroin instead of another drug?
Much luck to you. It must be a terrible position to think something is up and not know what... and not be able to get answers.

Wendy

The Following User Says Thank You to Wendy88 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-14-2012, 02:28 PM   #3
(female)

Daisy458 HB User

Hi Wendy,
Thank you so much for your reply. He does not live with me and he has separated himself from the family. He has a history with drugs and alcohol. He's lost so much weight, looks terrible, his teeth are brown, he has drastic mood changes, and he has suspicious red marks on his forearms. He denies using but he looks so bad that I feel I am letting him down as a parent by not doing anything. I have no way of drug testing him. I wish I could think of something to do so that I could know. I have begged him to tell me and told him that I would not judge him, that I just want to help him. I just say heroine because I know that it has become much easier to get in our area and I thought that the symptoms seems to go along with that, but I have no idea.
I appreciate any suggestions.
Daisy

The following user gives a hug of support to Daisy458:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Old 09-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Wendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB UserWendy88 HB User

Hi Daisy!
Gosh I hate to say it, but it could be meth too (or both).
Meth destroys your skin, teeth (pretty fast). In my opinion worse than heroin. But of course, both are awful and destroy you. With meth, mood swings are common.... you can snort it, shoot it, smoke it... You'll lose weight fast. He'd stay up for day on it potentially and then crash. People can be prone to psychotic rages when they abuse for a while.

I wish I knew the law more. I mean, I think you can only forcefully hold (called a 5150) in a psych ward( they'd evaluate him there all the way) if you believe him to be a harm to himself (suicidal, self harm maybe )... But I don't know how you prove that. Perhaps call your local hospital? I think they can only hold him 48 hours (again, I'm not sure) but if he was on drugs, you could at least then try to get him to rehab. Or at least he'd know you knew... (please remember I'm no expert. These are just ideas, thoughts...you'd have to check my suggestions for the full facts...)
If you knew he had drugs at his home, you could call the cops. Although, I don't know that all judges would say, give him rehab ...some would just jail him, which isn't what u are looking for.

What about staging an intervention? Can your family do that? Can you reach out to a rehab facility or someone local that does interventions and tell them your story? Get their advice? Maybe that's worth a try.

I wish I had more solid advice for you. Please keep us posted!
I'm sending you good vibes. You are doing the right thing...trying to help. In that way, you are being a good parent to him. This is a hard thing to help.
Thinking of you,
Wendy

The Following User Says Thank You to Wendy88 For This Useful Post:
Phoenix (09-28-2012)
Closed Thread