It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-28-2012, 11:01 AM   #1
(male)

muydesso HB User
Girlfriend addicted oxys need advice

I am in a new relationship and I recently found out that my girlfriend is addicted to oxys (30mg a day). I promised her that I wouldnt talk about it to anyone about it. This is my only method of getting things off my chest and getting advice on how to help her out of this situation. Ive lost family members to different addictions over the years and I dont want to lose her. I want to help her get better but I dont know how to start. We have had conversations where she has told me that she wants to get off of them and others where she feels like she can't. I feel useless in this situation. She doesnt want to go to treatment. We started to taper down so the w/d isn't as bad but its tough. I dont have control over how many pills she takes nor have we reached the point where we can lock them away so she doesnt take more than what she is supposed to in a given day. I dont want her to push me away for trying to help her get out of this situation.

Last edited by muydesso; 12-28-2012 at 11:03 AM. Reason: forgot a sentence

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: muydesso
mom22sons (12-31-2012), Phoenix (12-31-2012)
Old 12-28-2012, 01:28 PM   #2
(male)

OuchFactor HB User
Re: Girlfriend addicted oxys need advice

Good Luck. Save yourself a lot of pain and heartache, and run for your life. She will only stop when she is ready, and that my be never! My fiancee overdosed on heroin after being on opiates for a real long time. She would go into treatment and then escape the next day. Some people just don't want help. I am sober now for awhile, but it took me losing all of my friends and family, to the point of being homeless for me to come around.

The following user gives a hug of support to OuchFactor:
Phoenix (12-31-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User

Hello muydesso and welcome.

You can try to be as supportive as possible but unless she truly has the desire to abstain from the meds,the dreaded cycle will most likely continue.
If she is to properly rid herself of the misery,she'll should explain her situation fully to her prescribing physician.
She may have an underlying condition that needs to be considered before tapering.

Try asking her if she'd be opposed to attending AA(Alcoholic's Anonymous) or NA(Narcotics Anonymous).
The premise is similar;realizing that one's life has become unmanageable due to a substance.
If she pushes you away,due to your continued support of her,it's advised to explain that you care for her but can't stand to see her in that state of mind.
Let her know that you'll be there when she is ready to surrender to her addiction.

If you don't,the possibility of being dragged into her vortex will be great and along the way you may end up resenting her.
I've witnessed and heard of way too many relationships that were short-lived due to the power of addiction.
This may appear difficult but you may have to consider loving her enough to let her go;in order to see if she'll return a reformed person.

Painstakingly stated
Phoenix

Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   #4
(female)

mom22sons HB User

I'm in the same situation with my husband. It really is what seems like a never ending cycle. I've made an appointment with a counselor. Hopefully they will help me see the best way to handle his addiction. Even asking him to leave didn't work. It's very difficult to watch the person you love go through this.

Reply Reply