It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
(female)

seb1022 HB User
Oxy addiction help!!!!!!!

My girlfriend has been on oxys consistently now for almost 3 years. she had a TBI years ago and nothing has worked, this is barely cutting it. She only takes 10mg pills (i know there are people out there taking 1000mg+ daily...), up to sometimes 7 a day....over the past year and a half she has become a slightly different person. she sleeps all day long, 15+ hours, has no motivation, doesn't show any emotion whatsoever when it comes to our relationship, and her sex drive has drastically taken a nose dive. when i tell her how i'm feeling about things, like the sex situation...maybe shes not attracted to me anymore, i feel like i'm not good enough, etc..., she blows up completely and shows absolutely no care in the world about me or the way i feel. she is, or was such a sweet girl when we first started dating, but now I don't know what to think anymore...is this from the meds? she is also trying to cut down right now taking 2 a day with tramadol replacing the others she would have taken. i know i'm dating an addict, i have been nothing but there for her, everything i do seems to be taken for granted, or shes just used to it....i am the most supportive person, but this irritable, sometimes mean, lazy, selfish person is not who i signed up to be with. HELP SOMEONE PLEASE!!!!!

The following user gives a hug of support to seb1022:
Phoenix (02-24-2013)
Old 02-18-2013, 08:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User
Re: Oxy addiction help!!!!!!!

I'd give the addiction forum a try. Would she be willing to get help? I guess its a good sign she wants to cut down. Is TBI for traumatic brain injury? Are these legally prescribed? Sorry you two are going through this. Best wishes.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2013, 08:30 PM   #3
(female)

seb1022 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by tortoisegirl View Post
I'd give the addiction forum a try. Would she be willing to get help? I guess its a good sign she wants to cut down. Is TBI for traumatic brain injury? Are these legally prescribed? Sorry you two are going through this. Best wishes.
Yes, traumatic brain injury. She wants to go through rehab this summer which is good I guess... The meds are prescribed by our Dr. Who we completely trust. I just can't take all this lack of emotion it's like I'm dating someone who is disabled... I deserve to b treated better but how do u tell an addict that without a blow up!?

Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

tortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB Usertortoisegirl HB User

What makes you think it is addiction and not just taking meds for pain which cause side effects? Signs of addiction would be wanting to take the pills to get high, stating a need for more pills, taking more than prescribed, running out early, going to multiple doctors to get meds, etc.

Sometimes untreated pain can even mimic addiction. Yes pain meds can cause effects such as sedation and change someone's personality. Her doctor should be able to modify her treatment.

Also, it may be tough to know how much is the condition and how much may be the meds. Chronic pain itself can cause some of these symptoms. Do you go to appointments with her? How are her pain levels? Best wishes.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:05 AM   #5
(female)

seb1022 HB User

thanks so much for replying....well she was taking more than prescribed. it's supposed to be 4 a day, and was getting up to 7 or 8. also, she has run out early before and had to find someone who had something. I had some percocet and norco from when i had back pain and a surgical procedure. I had told her to try those, but eventually they were all gone. she admits she has a problem but i think one can only blame the meds to a certain extent. i do go to her appointments but because the injury she had, which was almost 8 years ago, she has a 24/7 chronic headache. this was only supposed to last about 6 months...concussion. shes in a very small percentile of people who still remain in this kind of pain years and years later. i'm not sure if you know of the hockey player sydney crosby, but his head injuries are the same as that of my girlfriend and there's literally nothing that can be done. she's been to mayo clinic, cleveland clinic, and top neurologists all over canada. All the tests come back normal and no one can seem to figure out why there's this much pain still. sometimes i wonder if maybe its a psychological thing where shes just "used" to being in pain that its there....? i don't know what to do anymore. I am a dietetics student and workout a lot, i tell her the only thing she can do now is just try to maintain as healthy of a lifestyle as possible, i truly believe that food heals, but shes just so fatigued all the time i can't get her motivated. so frustrating!!!! i guess you can only help a person who wants to be helped......thanks for listening, it means a lot!

Reply Reply