It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Addicts and Alcoholics Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2013, 12:37 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

worrywort HB Userworrywort HB User
Advise please!

This is so hard for me to write since I am usually on this board do to health issues. I am 34 and have been married almost 10 yrs. I am 12 yrs clean and I also am getting my drug and alcohol counseling certificate. My husband drinks sometimes, never been an issue at all. I have recently suspected something going on and decided to search his car, I found bottles of alcohol, hard stuff. I have NEVER seen him drink hard stuff the entire time we have been together!!! he has passed out about 2 times last yr from drinking. I figured he was stressed from the death of his Mom. This is not ok to hide it. This is a problem. I am at a loss of what to do! I have a 7yr old and a 3yr old to protect. I grew up with an alcoholic Dad and it was not pretty! thank god he is 20 yrs sober today. I have never been a drinker, meth was my issue. I am scared I don't know the man I married anymore! so terrified of losing our home and all we have! thank u for your advice in advance and taking the time to read this.

The following user gives a hug of support to worrywort:
Phoenix (03-26-2013)
Old 04-12-2013, 01:41 AM   #2
Facilitator
(male)

Phoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB UserPhoenix HB User
Re: Advise please!

Hello Carly and welcome.

The best way to address the "elephant in the room" is to confront it head on.

Since you've been married for some time,hopefully he'll be responsive to your approach.
Try not to offend,as this could make a bad situation worse.

You stated a previous addiction,so please try to understand things from both your experience and what you've learned in classes.

Addiction is addiction but alcoholism and drug addiction have their similarities and differences.

Protecting the children should be paramount,as they tend to pick up on the most subtle of cues.

If he's in denial,that's one thing but if he's willing to admit to his addiction,then work with him.

After all,everybody needs somebody,sometimes.

Respectful Sincerity
Phoenix

Sponsors Lightbulb

Reply Reply