It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2003, 06:56 AM   #1
(female)

BS5689 HB User
My step dad has liver cancer

Hi, My step dad was diagnosed with liver cancer about 1 week ago tomorrow. Everything just came so sudden. There were no signs at all until this last month, and he went to the doctor due to swelling in his stomach, and they ran different tests. His lymph nodes are swollen right near his liver, so they said more than likely it is liver cancer, but he is in this 10% category of people in the whole U.S. where they can not find out where the cancer came from. They know its in the liver, just not where it started. He was diagnosed with the cancer on Wednesday last week, and the onocologist told him 6 months he had left to live with Chemo therapy. On Saturday, we had to rush him to the emergency room because he had the urge to urinate but nothing would come out. We got to the ER and found out the cancer is shutting down his organs, and his kidneys are the ones going now. If they do not start functioning, he only has a few weeks now left to live. I am telling you my families story, in hope that anyone who reads this will pray for my step dad to get better. Thank you!!

Old 11-18-2003, 10:37 AM   #2

HoosierBj HB User
You sound like a wonderful stepson to me....
You and your family are definitely in my prayers.
Be sure to let him know as best you can how he has added to your life. The difference that he has made.
If you have any questions at all about anything don't hesitate to ask them here. Someone is either there or has been there.
By the time it was found, my Dad had cancer in his colon and in his liver. He lived another 4 months of life and almost two years more (so far) in my heart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2003, 11:28 AM   #3

FluffySockers HB User
Quote:
Originally Posted by BS5689
Hi, My step dad was diagnosed with liver cancer about 1 week ago tomorrow. Everything just came so sudden. There were no signs at all until this last month, and he went to the doctor due to swelling in his stomach, and they ran different tests. His lymph nodes are swollen right near his liver, so they said more than likely it is liver cancer, but he is in this 10% category of people in the whole U.S. where they can not find out where the cancer came from. They know its in the liver, just not where it started. He was diagnosed with the cancer on Wednesday last week, and the onocologist told him 6 months he had left to live with Chemo therapy. On Saturday, we had to rush him to the emergency room because he had the urge to urinate but nothing would come out. We got to the ER and found out the cancer is shutting down his organs, and his kidneys are the ones going now. If they do not start functioning, he only has a few weeks now left to live. I am telling you my families story, in hope that anyone who reads this will pray for my step dad to get better. Thank you!!
I'll pray everynight, keep praying too. I'm sure you will though, always stay happy, even though you may not act it, if you have to let out your emotions feel free though. Just have faith in the hardworking oncologists.

My grandfather has liver cancer, and is currently getting chemotherapy since the beggining of the month. He on the other hand has a much higher survival rate as it was an early detection. But I will still pray for your father and your family, read a book about cancer... But still try to stay cheerful, cheerfulness is said to be an important thing.... even though you may not feel like it now try smiling!!!

Old 11-18-2003, 07:25 PM   #4
(female)

BS5689 HB User
Hi, just to say, I am a girl, so im my step father's daughter, not son. And, thanks for everyones post so far. We have found out more today. The onocologist came in today with another doctor, and theres nothing more the doctors can do for my step dad. His kidneys have failed, so they can't do the chemo at all now. They are taking him out of the hospital tomorrow morning and sending him home and having the hospas(sp?) care. I keep praying and hoping there will be a miracle, but its hard, because I know deep down in my heart he's not doing good, and i dont know how much longer he will live. Everyone is going through a rough time, and my step dad isnt talking much to anyone, not even my mom. He's not opening up at all. I dont know what to say to him, all I can say to him is that I love him and tell him he will beat this thing. We're all being postive, but I feel he has given up when the doctor told him he only had 2 weeks left. I cant even imagine whats going on in his head. I just hope God is hearing all of our prayers and can help us out.

Thanks again for your posts, and anyone else who reads these posts, please pray for my step father.

Old 11-19-2003, 05:59 AM   #5

HoosierBj HB User
Your step-dad is certainly in my prayers.
My family found that in many ways Hospice was the miracle that we had prayed for. We just didn't know it at the time...

Old 11-20-2003, 10:37 AM   #6

FluffySockers HB User
Re: My step dad has liver cancer

There may be nothing the oncologists can do at this stage, but you could try naturopathy couldn't you? My moms, friends wife had a cyst that turned into cancer and she didn't have a chance, then she ordered some herb off of an internet site jakarta, and shes doing well.... their baby just turned a year old!!

Try asking your mom if you can book an appointment with your dad , to see a neturpathist, my old landlord was one, and generally they'll set him up on herbs

Old 11-20-2003, 10:41 AM   #7

FluffySockers HB User

Hi, I was just doing a search on Cancer and kidney failure, and I came across an article, it must've been a blessing for me to see

heres the url, maybe he could get a last minute transplant....

[url]http://www.mgh.harvard.edu/DEPTS/pubaffairs/ResearchPerspectives/Dec99mccourt.htm[/url]

Old 11-21-2003, 06:59 PM   #8
(female)

BS5689 HB User
Unhappy My step dad has liver cancer & just pasted away

Hi,
I wrote a few messages on here, and wanted to just say my step Dad, Kenneth, died thursday night at 11 pm at home in front of his wife, his 5 children, and his mother by his side. He was only 54 years of age. He was a great person with a great personality and a great sense of humour who was very proud and fond of his family. He was a good father, husband, and son. We all will miss him very very much. I'm glad he is in a better place where he can no longer be in pain and suffer from this terrible cancer that just took his life away so quickly, and which came from no where.

Thank you everyone who read this post and prayed for my step father. I cant understand why God had to take him when he did, but he obviously had something better planned for him where he is now. Once again, thanks everyone for your prayers. God Bless.

*****In Memory of Kenneth Ogden*****
Apr. 9, 1949 - Nov. 20, 2003

Old 11-22-2003, 07:25 PM   #9

sylas HB User

Hi. My sister as well has an unknown primary cancer. She found a mole on her arm that she had taken off and they told her it was secondary melanoma which means it is metastsized melanoma. They have ran some tests but still don't know where her cancer is coming from. She is in really good health (ran a triathalon last year, and has no symptoms). She is being seen at the Cancer Clinic in Vancouver, BC this Friday. My whole family is really scared because we have read that this is a very bad cancer that doesn't have a very good survival rate. We are in shock and finding this hard to believe because of her age (34) and health. Hope your step dad starts to feel better. This unknown primary cancer thing is really strange. Shelly

Old 11-22-2003, 09:53 PM   #10

sylas HB User

My sister also has a unknown primary cancer. We are still trying to figure out what is going on. All my prayers to you and your family. My family and myself are very scared. All we know right now is that it is metastatic melanoma. We will find out more. You are not alone. Hang in there. Shelly

Old 11-23-2003, 10:06 AM   #11

sylas HB User

I am so sorry for your family and friends. Thank you for sharing yourself with us. I wrote the previous post prior to seeing your last entry. Anyone with prayers for my sister this friday for good news would be so appreciated. thankyou.

Old 12-04-2003, 01:36 AM   #12

liberated HB User

Hi There,just A Note To Say Your Step Father And Your Family Are In My Thoughts,i Lost My Son To Liver Cancer He Was 13 Months Old He Was Diagnosed With A Rabdoid Tumour At 6 Months Our Lives Were Turned Upside Down,the Doctors Only Gave Him Weeks But We All Battle On Until The Battle Was Lost!! Keep Fighting,wishing You All Luck With Your Battle.
Andy

Closed Thread