It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2004, 11:39 AM   #1

Scare-D-Cat HB User
Primary Liver Cancer

Hello everyone,

I have an acquaintaince with primary liver cancer (a young adult - much too young!). The symptoms presented as pain in back, severe weight loss, pain, and now jaundice & bruising abdomen. Apparently there are several tumors in the liver and Dr's operated last week. Only immediate family allowed to visit right now, and no one else has heard any news of the surgery yet.

I know that liver cancer is normally fatal and patients die within 3 to 6 months. Do you think if they were operating, that is because the Dr's feel there is a good chance my friend may survive? If it was inoperable, I wouldn't think they would go in and do a painful and invasive, risky surgery. Wouldn't they just treat it palliatively with pain killers, etc? This person is also on the wait list for a liver transplant.

Does anyone know of any survivor stories of liver cancer? Or just any personal experiences?

Thank you!

Old 02-03-2004, 06:48 AM   #2
Veteran

timsworld73 HB User
Re: Primary Liver Cancer

Its hard to say. They may have done all the MRI and CT scans and thought that if the tumors are small enough and it certian places, then go to surgery and get them out. Or they might have went in to do something pallative. Which means to do surgery to correct a problem that is causing so much pain. Being so young they might do things they might not do on an 80 year old person with liver cancer. My mother was just diagnosed with gallbladder cancer thqt spread to her liver. Now she has a 5 cm tumor on her liver. Surery that removes all the tumors is the only real chance to be cured, even though that is not a given. But they have several things they can do. We told the Dr. that we will not accept the diagnosis of cancer in your liver and be left to waste away. If you can transplant livers to 70 year olds you can do something for my 49 year old mother. If you can find out all the information you can then let us know. Believe me it is not fun to go through, and we keep our faith through God. When you dont know if you will live or die, God sounds like a really good choice dont he.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-15-2004, 12:49 PM   #3

cindy1951 HB User

I have had Liver Cancer and i had surgery a year ago Jan 28th and they took out the left lobe of my liver and i have just had a another scan and i am cancer free at this time so as far as i know they would only operate if they think it would get it all Hope your friend is fine

Old 02-17-2004, 11:33 AM   #4

FluffySockers HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scare-D-Cat
Hello everyone,

I have an acquaintaince with primary liver cancer (a young adult - much too young!). The symptoms presented as pain in back, severe weight loss, pain, and now jaundice & bruising abdomen. Apparently there are several tumors in the liver and Dr's operated last week. Only immediate family allowed to visit right now, and no one else has heard any news of the surgery yet.

I know that liver cancer is normally fatal and patients die within 3 to 6 months. Do you think if they were operating, that is because the Dr's feel there is a good chance my friend may survive? If it was inoperable, I wouldn't think they would go in and do a painful and invasive, risky surgery. Wouldn't they just treat it palliatively with pain killers, etc? This person is also on the wait list for a liver transplant.

Does anyone know of any survivor stories of liver cancer? Or just any personal experiences?

Thank you!
hard to say definetly. It depends on the case, My grandfather must be reallllyyyy lucky, it went years undiagnosed only was in one lobe, and he's been on chemo for only a few months to shrink it so they can remove it.

Old 02-17-2004, 01:55 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

As I understand it, they will only operate to remove a tumour in the liver if they are certain to remove it all and not leave anything behind. This is because of the very fast regrowth of the liver tissue. If there was any tumour left behind then it too would regrow very rapidly and possibly continue growing at that pace and engulph the rest of the liver. So if you do have your tumours taken out then they must think there is a good chance of a reasonably positive outcome.

Old 03-05-2004, 02:10 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

suzyshop1 HB User
Talking Re: Primary Liver Cancer

I dont want to give you any false hopes,but just because there operating on your friend doesnt mean that hes not going to die.They could be operating on him to prolong his life futher,or maybe its not as bad as it looks.My father right from the start knew he had bladder cancer,but that didnt stop the surgeon from operating on him twice.I didnt see the point in prolonging his agony just to give him a few extra months to live.My father has been thru two operations of cutting away the cancer,hes been thru chemo and radiation.All with the understanding thats hes not going to survive anymore than yr at the most ,six months at the least.I hope you hear good news about your friend. I hope ths doesnt sound uncaring.Take care.

Old 03-11-2004, 10:04 AM   #7
Veteran

timsworld73 HB User

My mother is going to have radiofrequency ablation on her tumors, she has the consult on Monday is San Fran. I am soooo happy. They were not going to take her at first but then Dr. Miller thought of some idea that could get all the tumor near the portal vein. She still is on chemo and doing well. Positive attitudes are essential. My mother knows in her heart she will beat this. She has more positive vibes than our whole family put together. She refuses to let it beat her. And as of right now her liver enzymes are completely normal, her lab work is normal, and she went andgot her hair colored So while you have to also look at reality, the mind is very powerful....we just dont know how powerful it can be...better than any computer ever built. Attitude.

Closed Thread