It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 07:40 PM   #1

kristi_p HB User
Question my father-in-law

Couple years ago he was diagnosed with colon rectal cancer. He had surgery, illiostomy, chemo and veerything was fine.
Last MAy all of a sudden he lost his voice, still can talk, just hard to hear him. After awhile finally figure out it was cancer in his throat. They sadi it was colo rectal spread. He was on chemo for that thought things were getting better. Then it "seemed "he had a terrible sinus infection. They went in him to clear the sinus infetcion and it turned out to be a tumor. And also found cancer in his lungs. So he was receiving radiation for sinus area and chemo for lungs. Those together were really kicing his butt.
After a little bit they stopped the radiation, to let his mouth and throat heal from it. Then he got pneumonia, was inyhospital. The did MRI and the doc thoought he had had surgery becuase the sinus are had shrunk so much. I thought that was really good news. SO he started up radiation and stopped chemo. He just finished radiation1 1/2 weeks ago. Will have to wait 5 weeks to get an MRI on that because it is so inflamed from radiation.
MRI on lungs showed cancer getting into bronchial area. Yesterday he just started on 4 diff types of chemo.
He isn't feeling well which is from radiation and sinus area being irritated. ALso short of breath becuase of lung area.
I am just looking for some hope. I know every case is different, but everyone seems to think he isn't going to get better. I hate to think that!
Does anyone know of any case of someone who has bounced back from something like this.

Thanks for your time

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 10:13 AM   #2
(female)

KrFr HB User
Re: my father-in-law

My thoughts are with you. It sounds like you are a very thoughtful and caring daughter in law. I don't have any experience with this so I can't offer any experiences to you but I do know that miracles happen. My best hopes and prayers for your father in law and family.

Old 04-29-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

You don't mention how old your father-in-law is...
The only experience I have is with my own father who at age 75 had Stage 4 colon cancer when it was finally discovered. He had cancer in his colon and liver, which then spread to his spine and bones, then his lungs and most probably his brain.

I ALWAYS want to allow people Hope.

But would like to add that over the months following my dad's diagnosis, what we prayed for changed a bit.
It changed from praying for a miraculous cure to praying that he would be comfortable and pain free.
I thank God (and Hospice) for answering that prayer...

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 04-29-2004 at 10:48 AM.

Old 04-29-2004, 02:32 PM   #4

kristi_p HB User
Re: my father-in-law to ruth and kare

Thank you for your responses.

My father-in-law is 57. Way too young to go, in my opinion. I just hate the thought of my husband losing his dad and my kids losing their grandpa when they are still so young and probably wouldn't remember him when they are older.

I just hate that this happens. You never think it will hit so close to home, then it does.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I remember well that feeling of f-o-g-g-y unreality. Like I was looking through a thick sheet of clear glass at the rest of the world.

You and your family just keep hanging in there. Some people do better with less information and more prayers, others do better with just the prayers. There is ALWAYS room to hope in situations like this.

I don't think you're ever prepared for a diganosis like this. How can one be? My Dad had YEARLY colonoscopys and still, there it was. We were walking around like complete zombies - and then I discovered that I was the "information and prayer" type. I researched in order to be ready for anything that came at me, my brother & sisters just fielded information as it came to them.

I'm adding you and your family to my prayers, I hope you know you're not alone in this and will come here anytime you need to vent - I added quite a bit of rambling, ranting, & writing here myself not so long ago!

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 04-29-2004 at 06:04 PM. Reason: System wouldn't allow the word f-o-g-g-y.

Closed Thread