It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-27-2004, 10:36 PM   #1
(female)

Diva10 HB User
Please help, dad dying, liver cancer

Not sure if I am in the right forum, i will give it a try anyway.

My dad had to have his gall bladder removed due to gall stones. The surgery was cancelled by the anesthesia doctor because no stress test was given for his heart, well they found that he had 80 to 90% blockage in the main artery but could not due surgery because of the fluid that had suddenly built up in his belly, so they drained it and had to find out what caused it so they eventually did a biopsy on his liver.

They diagnosed him with hepatocellular cancer ( primary liver cancer ) and after doing a ct scan, said there was nothing that could be done for this type of cancer, said he had a 7 cm tumor on the inside of his liver and gave him six months to live and told him chemo could maybe prolong his life a few months, but that would be it.

He has decided not to take chemo for his grand kids sake, what is another 2 months. I have been looking up a lot of things on the internet and have maybe gotten my hopes up for not. I do not want to go with my dad about the info for incase I just read what I wanted to read.

Please help, any info or advise would be much appreciated.
Thanks in advance

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-27-2004, 11:24 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User
Re: Please help, dad dying, liver cancer

I am sorry for what you are going through! You should check out the death and dying board. Remember that even though these doctors give time lines they are not God. I don't know much about the cancer, but have you checked into any clinical trials? It might be worth looking into. My thoughts will be with you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-28-2004, 10:47 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

vamp36 HB Uservamp36 HB User

My thoughts and prayers are with your family. TIna

Old 11-28-2004, 06:39 PM   #4
(female)

Diva10 HB User

Thank yall so much, I am still trying to figure out what to do, I just cant belive what is really going on with my dad, after reading some of the post, it's hard, reality is a very strong reality.
not sure about clinical trials, where would i find info about that
thanks

Last edited by Diva10; 11-28-2004 at 06:40 PM.

Old 11-28-2004, 07:22 PM   #5
Veteran
(female)

crisma HB User

I recently had an aunt die of gall bladder cancer and when I was trying to find some treatment ideas for her I just typed in Oklahoma cancer trials (where I am from) and it brought several up. Some were near-by, some were not. Cancer is such a bad thing. It has taken so many of my loved ones. Thoughts and prayers!

Old 11-29-2004, 01:55 PM   #6

Zambucca HB User

What part of the country do you live in? Do you have a local teaching hospital close? A major university hospital? I would contact the closest one. I have heard that liver cancer is a bear but, if the tumor is confined to one area....it could be removed. I would definately do as much research and don't give up! My sister just fought a two year battle with cancer and won. It happens every day!

Old 11-29-2004, 07:16 PM   #7
(female)

Diva10 HB User

Zambucca, thank you so much, we have Tulane not to far, but my dad, I think, does not to take treatments of any kind. Does not want to put his grand-kids through that, although not giving up, everyones prayers will help, if it is god will.
40% of his liver is nolonger working, so we have to pray for him and strength.
wonderful for your sister hope everything stays well
prayers,prayers Veronica

Old 11-30-2004, 06:24 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User
Re: Please help, Dad dying, Liver Cancer

People hang onto hope for as long as they can - and that's ok.
In my family's case we hoped for a cure - and then gradually that changed to hoping that our Dad would be at peace without pain.
With the help of Hospice (I strongly recommend them) we attained that second hope.
No one can be expected to accept the news that one's parent is dying. And that there really is nothing that humans can do. We go through stages from denial, etc. to a final acceptance at the news that someone or ourselves will not live forever.

Hope is a good thing. Just be aware that what you hope/pray for may change a bit over time...

Old 11-30-2004, 11:34 AM   #9
(female)

Diva10 HB User

Thank you so much, my dad, I think, does not want to take treatments of any kind,even if there were more avaliable to him, Does not want to put his grand-kids through that, although not giving up, everyones prayers will help, if it is god will.
40% of his liver is nolonger working, so we have to pray for him and strength.
Just like with your dad i guess, please stay strong.
I am trying and will keep praying for a miracle.
We will get a Christmas miracle, my dad comes from a very close family of six brothers and sisters, my dad has been all over the world and the only place he has ever got excited about was the Grand Canyon, that is the only place he ever said he wants his kids and grandkids to see it one day because that place in itself is a miracle, well so he says. well aunts and uncles and friends have all gotton together and collected money to send my family of 8, my sisters of 5 and my dad and mom to the grand canyon for christmas. That really made him happy, he could not belieave it. Have not seen him smile when we told him, like that in a long time.
So if all stays the same and he is in good health and spirts then we will be going.
thanks
prayers,prayers Veronica

Old 12-07-2004, 02:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

How are things going, Diva??
The prayers continue,

Old 12-08-2004, 07:15 AM   #11
(female)

ronnic HB User

Veronica,

i was told on dec. 3 that i have hepatocelluar carcinoma.

my tumor is 8cm and they are planning on removing it and burning or freezing about 6 small ones. Age may play a factor on whether surgery is an option. ( i am 43) But you may want to ask about that. The doctors i saw yesterday are feeling good about my surgery. At least that is what it sounded like. by the diagrams he showed me a lot of my liver will no longer be with me, but the liver regenerates.

I hope you all enjoy that vacation. my prayers are with you.

ronni

Old 12-08-2004, 07:41 AM   #12
(female)

Diva10 HB User

Ronnic, thank you, I think my dad needs a second opinoin but they did say that his liver is full of cancer cells, they just dont know exactly how much.
maybe that is why and he is 59 with an all of a suddun heart condition also, so maybe that is a factor also.
Goodluck too you.
Veronica

Old 01-07-2005, 08:35 AM   #13
(female)

motherof2FL HB User

I'm sorry to hear about your dad, my mother just recently died from Liver Cancer Metasis. If he still does not want any treatment, the Hospice people are great, they helped my mother during her last days and were a big help to the family.

Last edited by moderator2; 01-07-2005 at 08:55 AM. Reason: please do not post commercial websites

Old 01-07-2005, 11:21 AM   #14
(female)

Diva10 HB User

Thank you so much, I think he and we will need all the help and support we can get, I am sure Hospice will be called when needed.
Sorry to here about your mother, how long did she have to go through it all? How did you handle it? I am not sure if I will be able to.
Veronica

Old 01-22-2005, 12:32 PM   #15
(female)

cleopatra` HB User

dear Diva
I lost my dad to liver cancer....He was my best friend and my mentor. He believed I was the greatest thing that ever happened haha. I felt the same way about him!!!! There are many days I have something exciting to tell and go to call him and many other times I think wait till dad hears this and then remember.........I'm praying for you and for your dad.
cleo

Closed Thread