It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2004, 01:35 PM   #1

BeverlyAnne HB User
Question Father Having Surgery

As I am typing this message, my father is having surgery. They told him he has a tumor in his colon that surrounds it like a doughnut. Having a small circle in the middle that is still allowing some bowl movements. They are taking out a section of his colon and rectum and reattaching them. The small piece they took out and tested was benign. I am worried that because this tumor is so large that parts of it may still be malignant. As anyone had experience with tumors of this nature? All I know is that they bumped someone in surgery to squeeze my Dad in to get it removed as quickly as possible. It has been there for quite some time obviously. Any info provided would help either put my mind at ease or ask the right questions when the doctor calls me.

Thank you

Old 12-22-2004, 11:08 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

jaydees HB User
Re: Father Having Surgery

They are getting him in asap since he needs the obstruction removed right away before it closes off completely.

The first biopsy of my tumour showed that it was pre-cancerous but pathology on the whole tumour after surgey removed it showed that it was indeed cancerous. The problem is that the biopsy is so small a piece that it is easy not to contain definite cancerous cells.

When he has his surgery there is also a chance that he will have a temporary colostomy and have to go back at a later date to have the two sections of colon re-attached. This is common if the docs believe that the colon needs recuperation before reattachment.

Ask the doctor when the pathology report on the removed part of the colon will be available.

Ask if your father can obtain a copy of the surgery report(all surgeries usually require a written report by the surgeon after the surgery is done)

Ask about the chances of him having a permanent colostomy

Ask about post op complications and don't be satified by the usual 'risk of infection in all surgeries'. That is true enough and hospitals do a great deal to minimize that but what I am talking about is nerve damage. What nerves, controlling what functions are in the area where the surgeon will be cutting? For instance, erectile function, urinary continence, bowel control, leg and pelvis motor control. These are most in danger the lower down the tumour is. Just so you know mine was as low as it gets. I had my entire rectum removed. I had some minor urinary problems that have resolved themselves over time, some ED and , when I woke from surgery I could not move the muscle of my right thigh. The paralysis was due to the epidural pain meds and went away a few hours after the epidural was removed.

Ask to see an ET (stoma nurse) about maintenance of a colostomy prior to surgery if possible IF there is a good chance that a temp colostomy will be needed. Otherwise insist that the docs make arrangements for one to visit if a colostomy is performed.

If I think of anything else I will let you know.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-31-2004, 12:47 PM   #3

BeverlyAnne HB User

Thanks for all you info. The surgery is done. He didn't have to get a bag. He was sent home 6 days later. He is now back in the hospital because he has not been able to pass anything. Not even gas. They have pumped his stomach numerous times and he is on an IV. I guess they are going to wait and see if they can get things moving. Is this normal? It has been 10 days since his surgery. We still haven't received the pathology report but hope to soon.

Still worried!

Old 12-31-2004, 08:42 PM   #4

Location: Northern Wisconsin right on the WI. MI. border in a little town called Land O Lakes.
rockmon HB User

BeverlyAnne my tumor was actually inside my colon and they removed a foot of it to get all the tumor so it was a bit different but the point is, I didn't have a movement for over a week due to the fact that I didn't have anything to eat but crushed ice for that long. It's very hard when your in that situation to know if your having a problem with the plumbing or if it's just something your system is going through after what has just happened to it so it could just be when the time is right he will have a movement and pass enough gas to fill up a tanker, lets hope that that is the case. God bless and we will pray that all turns out well for him.

Old 01-03-2005, 10:21 AM   #5

Btrcup HB User

BeverlyAnne, my husband was recently in the hospital due to small bowel obstruction. He had adhesions (scar tissue) throughout his colon due to previous colon cancer surgery to remove a tumor from his ascending colon. A week after his surgery, his NG tube was removed so he can be put on liquid diet and get his bowels working. Well, that did not happen. He threw up everything he drank (he did not pass gas either). This went on for a week. Finally, his oncologist suggested he be taken off all pain meds. He was taken off his morphine pump, valium & oxicotin (sp?) in the morning, and was moving his bowels that night. He was home in time to spend Christmas with his family.

If your dad is on pain meds, please discuss his options with the docs.

Linda

Closed Thread