It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2002, 09:38 AM   #1

MommyNeecey HB User
Unhappy Pancreatic Cancer - How Long will they Live ??

Please tell me the expected "prognosis" for pancreatic cancer (82 yr old woman) that has spread to the lymph nodes and resulted in weight loss of around 30 lbs. along with severe abdominal pain and back/shoulder pain. Patient is also a diabetic as a result of this. We were told that it should be 2- 3 mos and that surgery was NOT an option and that chemo would possibly help with the pain. Symptoms began in November 2001. It's now April 2002 and the diangosis has just been made a week ago ... can we hope this is over sooner than 2 - 3 months??

Thanks.

Old 04-16-2002, 07:41 PM   #2

MommyNeecey HB User
I'm so sorry for your loss -- I'll definitely have to email you!

Well, the dr. said "2 - 3 mos" - because of it being spread to all the lymph nodes etc., - but we see the oncologist on Friday to hear his version of everything.

She had an chest X-Ray last Friday and supposedly that came back "normal...." - well she also had a blood test - that CA19-9 or something ... and it was supposed to be like 40 and all the nurse said was it was "real bad" and it was "9,000" - Does anyone know about that? Is that REAL bad or what? What does it mean?? The dr. did make great emphasis that the tumor is BIG! She really stressed "BBIIIGG" ....

I'm just wondering if she won't make it even the 2 - 3 mos that her Gen. Pract. dr gave her ??

[This message has been edited by MommyNeecey (edited 04-16-2002).]

[This message has been edited by MommyNeecey (edited 04-16-2002).]

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2002, 08:28 PM   #3

sabreena HB User
i don't really know about all the testing and stuff that has to do with diagnosis and trying to cure cancers. the best i can remember about my dads cancer is that by the time that they found it it had consumed the top half (i think) of his pancreas, and it had spread to his liver, kidneys (or kidney i'm not sure) and i also think to his lymph nodes, i got to see him one time (still conscious) before he died. he went into a sort of coma about a week before he died and i spent my last day of my honeymoon traveling to see him one last time and to say good by. he passed away at just about midnight the next night. if there is anything i ever regret in my life time it's my stuborness toward our relationship, i'll never truly know if he knew how much i loved him and i'll never know how much he really loved me. please, whatever happens at this doctor your loved one is going to, let them know just how much you love them, never have that kind of regret, don't leave questions unawnsered. when you e-mail me i'll stop writing to you on this, i hope to hear from you soon. good luck and best wishes!!

sabreena

Closed Thread