It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2003, 09:42 AM   #1

Judi421 HB User
Post Bad News - My Mom - My Best Friend

Well, the news now is not good. The biopsies from the bronchoscopy show adenocarcinoma from the breast. There is also a mass that the doctors are not being clear on within the lining of the lung and this is what is putting the pressure on my Mom's esophagus. She has had two radiation treatments so far and her oncologist is due back from vacation on Monday. We will see what is what then hopefully. We are getting mixed answers to our questions, my Mom's pulmonologist did not tell us about this mass. The radiology oncologist is the one who dropped the bomb on her about this and apparently, they can only radiate part of the mass. We don't know if this "mass" is the scar tissue that she had biopsied a few months ago or something entirely different. We don't know, if this is the scar tissue which is a thickening of the lining of the lung, if the scar tissue has increased in size or if the thickening has gotten thicker. Even with a pulmonologist in the family, we are having a hard time getting specific answers, even though we have told all of her doctors that we want to know EVERYTHING, no matter how bad it is. This is so frustrating! We don't know for sure if this is "the beginning of the end" or if this is something that can be treated. I am seriously thinking of pulling her out of the local community hospital that she goes to and switching her to doctors that work out of the Medical Center that I work for, even though it is farther away for my Mom and siblings. My siblings are all so wonderful - we are all sharing the load equally. My Mom is at my one sister's now - she was discharged from the hospital yesterday. Then she will spend a few days with my other sister before coming back to me. My brother and his wife are doing a lot of the running around (they can't take her to their house because they have a cat that she is highly allergic to - don't need to add an allergic reaction to the mix). We will all take a day to drive her to her radiation treatments. Thank God we are all in this together. I do have a terrific family and my Mom is the "Matriarch". We are so close to her, she is so great - doesn't interfere, minds her own business (except, of course, when absolutely necessary, she will pull me aside and let me know if she thinks I am being to strict or lenient with my teenager - which she does in a really nice way). I know that I am painting the picture of a "Father Knows Best" family, but we have had our share of problems that we have managed to work through, because we really do all love eachother - which is a tribute to my Mom. That is why this is so hard on me. I don't know how I will carry on without her. I know that I have to and that I will find a way (intellectually), but my heart is so heavy at the thought of losing her and not having her to call when I need to talk or share some great news. We love to go shopping together and just hang out, even if we are not talking, just being near eachother is nice. We discuss this all the time, so I know she feels the same way. I am sorry for rambling, but you all have been so great at listening to me and offering your support and prayers. I keep all of you in my prayers for the illness that you suffer and for the angels you are. Judy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2003, 10:03 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

winged phantom HB User
Dear Judy,
I am so very sorry for the news your family is getting about your mother's health. The good news is that your entire family is helping to shoulder the burden of these developments and has pulled together to fight this demon. This is the triumph that your mother envisioned when she bore all of you; having a wonderful family that loved each other, was not afraid to show it, and that could work together toward a common goal. If you are also a spiritual group, this too will help in this battle, as it has been shown that prayer does, indeed, have mystical powers.

My thoughts and prayers go out to you, and I know you and your family will find the best way to manage each obstacle you encounter. I know your mother must feel great comfort in being with each of you and in knowing how much she is loved. You are each paving the way for her to battle this terrible illness with all her resources.

God bless,
wr http://www.healthboards.com/ubb/love2.gif

Old 06-01-2003, 08:03 PM   #3

slm214 HB User
I am so sorry about your mom's relapse. Howeve, she has been blessed with many years after bc diagnosis. I have lost five friends to breast cancer and my mom to Alzheimer's so I can understand a little.
She is very fortunate to have children take her to her radiation treatments.
How is she? I am praying for her.

Closed Thread