It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-25-2003, 07:42 AM   #1

scrum HB User
Post Wife's Dad is not doing well

Hello to all. You may remember from past post that my wife's parents both had been in a two year battle with cancer. My wife's mom passed away on May 11. Her dad has been on his second round of chemo (with only 1 treatment left) but a crisis has occured.

On Friday my wife (while at work) called her dad at 9:30 a.m. to get the morning update of how he slept and so on. He did not answer. We found out from neighbors that he had gone to the funeral home to pay the bill from his wife's service. He got home arround 11:00 a.m. and began cutting is lawn (as well as a neighbors). He completed that arround 12:00 - 12:30 we think. My wife was able to get him on the phone at 2:00 but he could not talk in sentances just fragments of words.

She called 911 and got him to the local Hospital where his responiveness dwendled down to only a hand squeeze and blinking his eyes they feared a stroke. He was airlifted to a distant more advanced facility Friday night and on Saturday arround lunch an MRI was performed where they located three tumors. Two very small ones in the back and a larger one on the front left side.

They put him on steriods which was for the swelling I believe. Surgery is not an option, but they are starting him on radiation today. He will get 15 treatments. It is hard to figure it all out but I think they have given him 4-6 months.

My wife is so devistated. She just knew that he would beat the lung cancer since it had "not spread". Now she has to accept the loss of another parent to this dreaded disease.

Is there anyone that can tell me what to expect from the brain tumors. Also what can we expect to see from the radiation. The doctors said that provided the radiation is successful (they sounded very confident that it would be) he should have a few months of a fairly good quality of life. We just do not know what to expect.

Hope, My wife was never able to call you because she just hurt to much to talk about the loss of her Mom.

Please keep our family in prayer.

Stacy.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-25-2003, 07:52 PM   #2

I Hate Cancer HB User
Hi,
I have the same question as you and your wife. My Mom is only 43 years old. I am 28 years old. My Mom is too young to die.
She started out with small cell lung cancer and I found out Friday that it has spread to her brain. Her doctor told us that lung cancer always spreads to the brain. She has "out-lived" the estimated time of death for the lung cancer. The told her she would live 2-4 months without chemo or 4-6 months with chemo. If she makes it through January 2004 she will have lived for 2 years!! She has beaten the odds on that respect. Now, we are faced with brain cancer and probably bone cancer. We will find out about that tomorrow. She started having problems concentrating, that lead to headaches, that lead to seeing white floating things, which lead to forgetting, seeing people that was not there, then forgetting who she was, then falling in the floor, and now slurred speech. I am looking for answers much like you guys are. That's why I came here.
My heart goes out to you and your wife. I am so sorry that we are faced with CANCER. I hate cancer. It has taken all of my Moms family away from us. EVERYONE on my Moms side of the family has died by age 55 from Cancer. Not one person has ever died of anything else. It is primary Lung cancer, breast cancer, pelvis cancer, leukemia and now brain. I'm very scared for my own life. I know what I'm up against and there is nothing I can do about it.
I'm so sorry!

Old 08-26-2003, 02:09 AM   #3

ann203 HB User
Stacy and Hope, my heart goes out to you both. What a terrible time your family is going through. Life can be so cruel. I will pray for you and your family and keep you in my thoughts. God bless you, Ann.

Old 08-26-2003, 10:01 AM   #4
Inactive

hope1220 HB User
I am so sorry for your wife. I know exactly how she feels and completely understand about not wanting to talk too much - i did the same thing. My mom actually had a brain tumor - that is how we knew something was wrong - her speech and balance. Fortunately, her tumor was operable and once it was removed - 30 minutes later she was acting and walking like before. So maybe if the radiation works he will slowly start acting a bit better. I never would have thought I would say or believe this but.... the only thing that could be any sadder for me than loosing both parents within days of each other - would be watching either of remain behind once their soulmate was gone. It has been 3 months since I lost them and while I still cry every day in the car or in the shower- it is getting a little better. So tell your wife I am praying for her every night - I know how much it hurts I wouldn't wish this on anyone - Hope B.

Old 08-26-2003, 07:23 PM   #5

mehren HB User
Stacy -

I'm sorry to hear of your familys battle with cancer.

My mom has lung cancer (diagnosed 4 years ago), it has since spread to adrenal gland, brain and now bone.

All things considered she is doing well.

With regards to brain cancer, my mom's tumor was gamma knifed. Have you heard of this procedure? It was wonderful. Mom's cancer was in the brain stem so surgery was not an option. Dr. Aizak Wolf gamma knifed her at 4:00 a.m. and at 11:00 a.m. she jumped on an airplane!!! That was two years ago and she is still cancer free in the brain, he says if any more mets come back in the brin he will just zap them. By the way, while we were there there was a patient with over 20 mets that he was gamm knifing!

Best of luck. Let me know if I can provide any gamma knife info for you.

With Prayers

Maxine

Old 08-27-2003, 12:27 AM   #6
Inactive

bostton1 HB User
I was wondering where doctor wolf was located. I did a google search for him and found nothing. He sounds like a great doctor.

Thank You,
John

[This message has been edited by bostton1 (edited 08-27-2003).]

Old 08-27-2003, 09:43 AM   #7

scrum HB User
Thank you for all the messages and prayers for my wife's dad. He started radiation treatments yesterday, but nothing was mentioned about this Gamma Knife. I did some research and it seems like a wonderful tool for brain mets. I printed out some info and took it to my father in law to discuss with his doctor today.

Thanks Maxine for the post about your mothers success with the gamma knife.

My prayers go out to each of you and your family members.

Stacy.

Closed Thread