It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 05:31 AM   #1

InRecovery04 HB User
Question Husband thinks he may have Liver Cancer....help!!!

Hi all,

My husband told me last night that the Dr told him TWO months ago that his liver was giving off something bad in his blood and he fears he may have liver cancer (he said that is what SHE said...the big C). I am scared and shocked as to why he would wait this long to tell me. We are going to his former Dr tomorrow (Monday) and get his record to take to our new Dr and go from there. Anyone have a similar situation they'd like to share? We are confused and worried...been doing a LOT of crying.

Any info is greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Old 05-08-2005, 07:13 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: Husband thinks he may have Liver Cancer....help!!!

Surely, the doctor would have followed through to confirm dx? Your poor husband must have been going through hell for the past two months worrying about this. The sooner he gets seen and assessed the better. Keep us posted.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 09:43 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

I'm wondering if nowadays doctor's offices don't do alot of follow-up. (Some do thank heavens) The patient is "empowered" to call in and make the appts.

Cancer runs in my Dad's side of the family. When they found his tumor it was already 3 cm big - something tells me that there were some symptoms that he "ignored" even though he knew that it could be cancer.
(To make matters worse, he had yearly colonscopies)

I think that sometimes the fear of cancer acts the opposite of the way you would expect it to. Rather than jumping into tests and treatments there is basically a denial.
And for some men not knowing HOW to talk about it to their wife or family.

This is a time for "one step at a time". And waiting, like now, to see how tests come out...
Keep in touch, ok?

Old 05-08-2005, 10:38 AM   #4

InRecovery04 HB User
Exclamation Re: Husband thinks he may have Liver Cancer....help!!!

Thanks so much Alison and Ruth for your words of comfort and wisdom. My husband read the replies and it made him cry. Made me cry for him. I love him so much and cannot even IMAGINE life without him. This is just awful...We hold each other all the time and this has brought us closer than we have been in a long time. My heart aches for him, and I hurt for me and the children. I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but he is all I have...we have been married for almost 16 years (we got married when I was 16, almost 17 and he was 23). We are now 32 and 38....way too young for this to be happening. I will let you all know how things come out and thanks for the prayers...they are most welcome.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

I do hope the tests go well and you find out that your husband does NOT have cancer. We look forward to hearing that news from you. I can imagine your feelings right now...and crying is a very normal reaction. As you say, your love will probably be much more intense than it ever has been before. My heart still hurts when I think back to when my husband was dx with stage 111 rectal cancer in July 2003. There are some moments of total despondency that will forever remain in my memory.

Your husband is lucky to have you by his side to help him through this....it will help him a whole lot, whatever the outcome.

Best,

Old 05-09-2005, 08:44 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

shnswms HB User

I am wondering why she did not setup an appointment to further investigate this 2 months ago? If I was a doctor and thought my patient had signs of liver cancer, I would be all over it.

Old 05-13-2005, 06:33 PM   #7

InRecovery04 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnswms
I am wondering why she did not setup an appointment to further investigate this 2 months ago? If I was a doctor and thought my patient had signs of liver cancer, I would be all over it.
You are so right...I was wondering the same thing. The Dr. told him they wanted him to come in for further testing and to discuss his options. However, my husband didn't go back to follow up because he was in denial. So it was partly his fault. He is scheduled for a CT scan of his abdomen on Monday, to see how his liver looks and more blood tests are underway. We pray that it isn't as bad as the first blood tests showed. We have a new Dr. now.

Thanks for the posts, they have helped us a lot. HUGS!

Old 05-16-2005, 10:27 PM   #8
(female)

P00hbear HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by InRecovery04
Thanks so much Alison and Ruth for your words of comfort and wisdom. My husband read the replies and it made him cry. Made me cry for him. I love him so much and cannot even IMAGINE life without him. This is just awful...We hold each other all the time and this has brought us closer than we have been in a long time. My heart aches for him, and I hurt for me and the children. I know I shouldn't jump to conclusions, but he is all I have...we have been married for almost 16 years (we got married when I was 16, almost 17 and he was 23). We are now 32 and 38....way too young for this to be happening. I will let you all know how things come out and thanks for the prayers...they are most welcome.
I so understand what you are feeling. I am 32 and my husband 31, we have only been married a couple years it took so long for us to find eachother. He is my gift from above, and I could not imagine life without him either. I am praying his diagnosis is just hemorrhoids as the Dr.'s think but am so scared it might be more. It is amazing how even the possiblity of something like this can change your life. I wish you and your husband many more happy years together.

Old 05-17-2005, 08:03 AM   #9
(female)

tillyden HB User

I am so sorry that you are having to go through this. The word cancer strikes fear in every heart. We are praying for the best, but if it turns out to be cancer, there is always hope. With the progress they have made now days they can do a lot of things. Do not look at it as a death sentence because you may have a lot of options. I was dx Feb. 2004 with colon cancer, mets to liver. They did not give me much hope, but I am still here doing well. Draw on your faith for it will see you through all things, and the peope here are wonderful for giving support, and information. I know all our thoughts and prayers will be with you. God bless

Old 05-25-2005, 10:54 AM   #10

InRecovery04 HB User

Hey all,
We are still waiting for the results..I can't believe it's taking this long!! He has an appt. to follow up with our Dr. this coming Tuesday (May 31st) and hopefully they will have the CT scan results and the blood tests also. I will let you all know how it goes. Continue to pray for us.

Hugs, Mary

Old 05-25-2005, 11:27 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

I guess this is one of the advantages of living in the Bahamas...we may not have all the facilities but we get our test results the next day! Saves an awful lot of worrying time! Hang in there.

Old 05-25-2005, 05:15 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Ruth6:11 HB UserRuth6:11 HB User

Mary, you not only have my prayers, but I'm sending my Guardian Angel out your direction. If you or your husband feel something brush across your cheek that would be her wing as she flies by..
We'll be looking in on the 31st/1st for the news. Just remember that you have Support Team here no matter what the news is.

Last edited by Ruth6:11; 05-25-2005 at 05:16 PM.

Old 07-09-2005, 02:06 PM   #13

InRecovery04 HB User
Talking Re: Husband thinks he may have Liver Cancer....help!!!

GOOD NEWS! The results came in (several weeks ago...just been busy and didn't post as soon as I should have). He does NOT have cancer! Just an inflammed, swolen liver and very high triglycyrides (sp?) and cholesterol. He has quit drinking and vows never to touch alcohol again after that scare.

I want to thank you guys SO very much for your support. It meant a lot to both of us to read the posts and know that we weren't alone. God bless you all!

Love,
Mary Anne & Tim

Old 07-10-2005, 03:24 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Mary Anne & Tim

Thats great news. A lung cancer scare 20 years ago scared him into quitting smoking and he has never touched tobacco or other substance again since then. I wish you success and health.

ktee

Closed Thread