It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-24-2005, 06:31 PM   #1
(female)

kamacro1 HB User
new here - mother just diagnosed

My mother had a colonoscopy with the result of a 2-3 cm polyp in the rectum and an initial benign biopsy. The GI doctor referred her to a colon surgeon for its removal. The surgeon did a second scope in his office and reported that with a "trained eye" the polyp is not benign, but malignant. He also suggested that the second biopsy would possibly return as benign. He stated the biopsy is testing only new growth and the cancer is deeper within the polyp. I have taken her for a Cat Scan, Chest Xray, and blood tests and we are now waiting for the results (staging) to indicate whether or not she needs more testing (an ultrasound), chemo or radiation before or after the surgery.

Has anyone else gone through this experience or does anyone have any insight in general? Your guidance is appreciated!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 04:53 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: new here - mother just diagnosed

Sorry you have this difficult time going on for you but hopefully people on this board can support and advise you. I am under the impression that gastroenterologists are pretty good at recognizing a malignant polyp but I guess there are times when it needs to be biopsied to be sure. Hopefully, your mother's will not turn out to be malignant but, if it is, then it may be at an early stage and easily curable. When they do further tests, you will know more about the plan for treatment. Do keep us posted and feel free to ask any more questions you may have.

All the best,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-25-2005, 05:43 PM   #3
(female)

kamacro1 HB User
Re: new here - mother just diagnosed

Thank you for the kind words. I know its only the begining of a long road and I do appreciate the support.

Closed Thread