It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2006, 07:11 AM   #1
(female)

hiswife1 HB User
Husband with stage iv colon cancer

Hi, I haven't posted here before but have read each of your posts for a couple of months now. My husband was diagnosed with stage iv colon cancer w/1 met to the liver in 7/04 after a year of being misdiagnosed. He had a colon resection with no bag, a mediport, chemo and after 4 months had a liver resection, 3 months more of chemo. We were told in April 05 all was clear. After his oncologist unexpectedly resigned we were put with a new oncologist who said that the pet/ct scan from April clearly showed two lesions in the liver. A ct/pet in October 05 showed significant growth in one of the lesions. He was put on Xeloda, CPT11 and Avastin. He became very ill on 12/23 and was hospitalized 12/24-12/26 because of being overdosed on the Xeloda and CPT11. They cut his dosage in half and he is doing really well now. They took him off the Avastin so that he can have another liver resection on one lesion and RFA on the other. Then Avastin will be added to the treatment again. The surgery will be toward the end of March.

My question is--how common is it to find hidden cancer when they open you up to do the liver resection. I have asked the doctor and he said that it isn't all that common. I just need to be prepared for the worst I guess. I want to be able to be strong for my husband. I was totally blind sided when the surgeon came out and told me he had a tumor in his liver during the first surgery. This hadn't been mentioned as a possibility and I was really dumb in all of this. If anyone can help me with this, I would really appreciate it.

I have read your posts for a couple of months now and you have no idea how much it has helped. I have learned a lot from all of you and know that we are not alone in this. I am better able to deal with this and help my husband through some really hard times. Thanks in advance for any info you might be able to give me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2006, 07:36 AM   #2
(female)

tillyden HB User
Re: Husband with stage iv colon cancer

Sorry to hear all that you are going through. I was dx with stage 4 cancer in Feb.of 04. They are wanting to go back in and cut out some spots on my liver that they could not burn off in my first surgery. First one was july o4. The surgeon told me that in 20 percent of the cases thely find spots on liver that did not show up on CT. Hope things go will, keep us posted. DJ

Old 02-27-2006, 01:38 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ktee_uk HB User

Hi hiswife1

i am sorry to hear about your husband. it is such a lot to deal with and also a non-stop learning curve. Our husbands treatment paths seem to be similar except mine has had not further treatment since the post-liver resection chemo.

Regarding what they see when they do the liver resection. Our liver surgeon told us that he would do several scans and biopsies whilst husband was already anaesthatised on the operating table. I understand that the biopsies were done using scopes but the final scan was done after cutting him open. At that point the surgeon would decide whether or not to procede or just stitch him up again. He explained that if he resected a liver and left behind cancer cells in close proximity, then as the liver grew back quickly the cancer cells would multiply/grow more quickly than they were doing originally.

I would ask your surgeon what type of checks they make whilst he is in theatre prior to the final resection. Perhaps worthwhile asking about the exact procedure during the first resection.

Finally wanted to say some stage 4ers do have to go through many resections. i keep in contact with one guy here in england who has endured three. Its probably tough hearing that but it is ten years since he was first diagnosed and he had some really low moments but is happy to be here to reflect on them.

I hope this helps. Please ask if you want more info and i will try and dredge the old grey matter and answer as best i can.

kind regards
ktee_uk

Old 02-27-2006, 03:31 PM   #4
(female)

christy217 HB User

I am sorry to hear that, I don't have any answers to give you regarding the liver mets, but I will say this, my boss had stage IV with spreading to 23 lymph nodes and she is still here 8 years later.

There is hope.

Old 03-01-2006, 08:15 AM   #5
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

Thanks to each of you for replying. Hearing what you have had to say is comforting even tho I know it hasn't been easy to cope with all that you have gone through. I feel like each day I have with my husband is a gift and it gives me hope that there will be a whole lot more of them.

tillyden, hope you are doing ok. Have they set up a date they are going to do your surgery? The first resection my husband had he did really well and we were so new to all of it and I was so relieved that I didn't think of it coming back (or at least not so quickly) I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers.

ktee, thanks for the information on what they do once they are in the operating room. I will definately ask the surgeon how he is planning to check his liver for additional cancer. I hope your husband is doing well and will continue to do so. It is encouraging to hear that even tho your friend has had to have several procedures, it has been 10 years. I think that is wonderful news.

christy217, it is very encouraging to hear of someone that has stage iv still surviving for 8 years. Thank you for telling me this. When this first began and before I finally found this website, I would read everything I could find on the survival rate of stage iv and for such a long time I felt like we were fighting a downhill battle. Just knowing that more and more people are surviving this has helped so much.

Thank you again. I hope you are all doing well and will continue to do so. I will keep you in my thoughts and prayers. dee

Last edited by hiswife1; 03-01-2006 at 08:16 AM.

Old 03-02-2006, 07:45 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Aunt has stage III and just had surgery. She's 82......doing great. PET and CT showed areas around liver and lungs. Doc wasn't sure if it was inflamation or something more. He's putting her on Xeolda also next week. Not much on line about this new chemo pill. Anyone know anything...side effects??

Old 03-02-2006, 07:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

Aunt has stage III and just had surgery. She's 82......doing great. PET and CT showed areas around liver and lungs. Doc wasn't sure if it was inflamation or something more. He's putting her on Xeloda also next week. Not much on line about this new chemo pill. Anyone know anything...side effects??

Old 03-03-2006, 06:47 AM   #8
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

I am sorry to hear about your Aunt. My husband has been on Xeloda since October, 2005. He had a lot of problems with it at first...blisters and sores on his feet and hands and eventually his throat. He ended up in the hospital at Christmas because he became dehydrated and his potassium level dropped and caused his heart to start fluttering. His throat was so blistered and sore that water wouldn't even go down. BUT..the reason for this was he was being overdosed with the CPT11 and Xeloda. He was taking 2000 (4 500 mg pills) in the morning and then again at night. The dosage they were giving him along with the large amount of CPT11 was just way too strong for his system. After he healed for about 6 weeks they put him back on the same medicine, just at a lower dose and he did fine. He is off chemo right now because he will have a liver resection & RFA in 3 weeks.

I feel that the Xeloda is really a wonderful drug. Just report any side effects right away (and make them listen to you!!). The head oncologist is the one who put my husband in the hospital, so we changed over to him because the other one wouldn't listen to us.

I hope this helps. Not everyone has the same reaction to this that my husband did. There is a good chance that your Aunt will have no side effects from this.

Closed Thread