It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-30-2006, 05:44 AM   #1
(female)

Tracey110 HB User
My 79 yr old mother-in-law...symptoms...

Hello everyone

My 79 year old mother in law recently had a DVT. This was "out of the blue" and she had no risk symptoms for getting a dvt. The Drs decided they needed to do more tests to make sure there wasnt an underlying cause for this happening. (Apparently an undiagnosed cancer can result in a dvt).
Anyway, i KNOW she has been experiencing episodes of constipation followed by diahorrea for a long time (possibly at least 9 months or more) and has refused to do anything about it!
She has been losing weight, has no appetite( says she just doesnt feel like eating) and lost all muscle tone too.
She is now beginning to talk to me a bit more....and it appears when she goes to the loo, she has extreme difficulty starting to go, but when she does eventually go, she says it is "slimier" than usual. For the past 3 weeks since her dvt was diagnosed, she has been getting worse, lost 7lb in weight in those 3 weeks and had a couple of "accidents" where she has lost control of her bowels.
The hospital have done blood tests (came back with abnormal kidney function), they did a rectal exam and then yesterday they did a pelvic ct scan for which we are waiting the outcome.
Should i be as worried as i am? (She is chief carer for her husband who has early alzheimers.....)
Thanks for your time!
Tracey

Old 03-30-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: My 79 yr old mother-in-law...symptoms...

I recently learnt that there CAN be a connection between DVT and pelvic tumours. But not all DVT's indicate that. It is not surprising however, given her symptoms, that they are checking her for colo-rectal cancer. Try not to worry until the results are in...I know that is not easy, but you may be worrying about nothing. Do let us know how it turns out.

Take care,

Sponsors Lightbulb

Closed Thread