It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-18-2006, 03:50 PM   #1
(female)

christy217 HB User
My father was diagnosed with colon cancer today

Hey guys, it's Christy here, I've posted many times about myself. Next week I finally have an appt with the surgeon to get my port put in and then I can start chemo in June.

My father went into the hospital on Monday, he went to see a GI doc about a colonscopy consult, after a recent petscan showed a huge growth with an SUV uptake of 11, mine was only 6.2 and was only 3.2 cm, his is in the sigmoid and it looks wretched, the colonscopy pics look horrid, worse than my mom's or mine ever looked. He is going to have surgery with my surgeon next week hopefully and have a total collectomy I am sure. The doc doesn't know what stage it is, but the PetScan didn't show any growth to the bones, or liver, and his lung cancer seems to have disappeared. This cancer has grown since February, when he had his last PetScan, it stated so on the report. My Dad is 71, he was pretty ****** when he found out, considering this is his 5th cancer, 1 bladder with a removal and ostomy, and then abdominal tumor that was malignant, and he had his left lung removed after my mom died of colon cancer, then had a reoccurance of lung cancer and now this.

I am numb to it all now. My sisters were balling, but I just remained myself and didn't say anything, I am used to it now as horrible as that sounds. It's funny I know the lingo so well the doctors think that I am a doctor!

well I just wanted to vent and say hey to everyone.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #2
(female)

Kathp HB User
Re: My father was diagnosed with colon cancer today

Just wanted to say how sorry I am for your father, your family and you. Bad luck doesn't begin to describe the cancer that has affected you all. Not I or anyone can explain why such things happen, but just wanted to send good wishes and prayers your way. All the best and look after yourself.

Old 05-19-2006, 07:56 AM   #3
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

Hi Christy,

I am so sorry that your Dad is having to face yet another cancer. Sometimes you wonder just how much a person can handle. I agree that it does seem like your Dad is a fighter. He has proven that several times before.

I am not surprised that you feel numb. For a while when my husband was so sick I would just kind of feel "shut down". It"s natural to try to concentrate on your Dad during this time, but please take care of yourself too. You need to have all your strength especially while going through chemo.

I just wanted to let you know that my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family

Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 PM   #4
(female)

christy217 HB User

Thank you all for your responses. I feel really bad for my father too, I think he is scared, but I've already talked to my surgeon today, we're going to get all his medical records that I don't have and stuff and we're going to see the surgeon next Thursday at noon. Next week I go to get my port put in for chemo and hopefully the week after my father will have surgery while I still have a bit of time off of work to help him out.

I feel that he can beat this, but I know it's such a damper on his spirits, even if he doesn't admit it, his face shows it.

Old 05-21-2006, 08:59 PM   #5
(female)

cinda HB User

(((christy))) good luck to you and yours.

Old 05-23-2006, 01:54 PM   #6
(female)

sammypt HB User

So sorry to hear that you have to live this all again with your father, best wishes to you both as you battle this disease. I will keep you and your family in my prayers

Old 05-24-2006, 01:08 PM   #7
(female)

christy217 HB User

Thanks again to everyone, we go tomorrow to see my surgeon about my father. I got his pathology report today-it's moderately differentiated adnocarcinoma, the biopsy was 30cm! I am amazed that the biopsy was that large through a colonscopy, I am afraid he will have to get another bag-as he already has a urostomy from bladder cancer-my mother had two before she died-and we can't help but think of the irony of this-the path report states tublar adenomatous polyp in the rectum, most of it is in his sigmoid. I have never seen colonscopy pictures look that bad-hopefully we will find out some good news tomorrow. Thanks!

Christy

Old 05-25-2006, 06:34 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

gocatsgo HB User

Christy -

Sending lots of love your way... You must be feeling an array of emotions. I just found out that my college roomie has uterine cancer and I felt a rage that I do not usually feel. I have never been so ****** at cancer! I am sure you are feeling all of those emotions as well. Your family has been though SO much. Hoping that things go well for you and your dad.

Take care,
Cats

Old 02-13-2008, 03:12 PM   #9
(female)

cynthiaf HB User

Christy,
It's Feb. 08. Just seeing how things are going with you and your family.
Cynthia

Old 02-13-2008, 05:50 PM   #10
(female)

itsconnie HB User

Best wishes and prayers to you.

How bit is 30cm???

Closed Thread