It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-25-2006, 04:37 PM   #1
(female)

RAINBOWBABY HB User
Unhappy Confused & Worried Daughter (long)

Hi everyone,

I am new to these boards and was hoping I might get some advice...

My mum was admitted to hospital 2 weeks ago. The drs have not made a final diagnosis and have told me a range of different things. I have a copy of her file and would like some advice on what it all could possibly mean....

PRINCIPLE DIAGNOSIS - Large bowel obstruction - rectosigmoid cancer
COMPLICATIONS - Anaemia requiring transfusion (which I didnt know happened), Hypokalcemia, Psuedomones UTI
OPERATIONS -Sigmoidoscopy, Gastrograff?? enema, Loop transverse colostomy/Laparotomy?

SUMMARY OF CARE - Sigmoidoscopy and gastrograff?? enema showed no clear structure CT- sigmoid lesion, CEA4 6.5 CA125 72
Developed anaemia had blood transfusion, Hypoklemic IV replacement, Needs joint colorectal and urology surgery for resection of tumour.

They told me that they had found a mass in her bowel and a mass in her abdomen... She had an operation to decompress her bowel at the time of that operation they said they could not get a biopsy of either of the masses, but took fluid from her abdomen... What does fluid in the abdomen mean???

Sorry if have dragged on a bit, but love my mum to pieces and want to know that is going on...

Thank you for all your help

Rainbow

Old 06-28-2006, 04:13 AM   #2
(female)

rhuck HB User
Re: Confused & Worried Daughter (long)

Fluid in the abdomen can be begnin or serious. It could be a sign of perotinitis, which is an infection or inflammation of the peritoneal cavity, the cavity that holds the digestive and reproductive organs. Or it could be just the naturally occuring fluids in the peritoneal cavity, which act as buffers for the organs. If anything was ruptured or perforated during or before the operation, the doctors would test that fluid to make sure that there is no infection or signs of cancer, especially, as you said in your story, if they could not get results from a biopsy of the lesions or tumors. Some tumors can burst and leak all of their "genetic information" into whatever cavity they are present in, causing infection or loss of a good biopsy. Best of luck to you!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-30-2006, 06:36 PM   #3
(female)

RAINBOWBABY HB User
Re: Confused & Worried Daughter (long)

Thank you very much for your reply rhuck... She is having the tumours taken out in 3 weeks as well as her right kidney (stones)... All day operation they say....

Thanks again

Rainbow

Closed Thread