It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-12-2006, 11:05 AM   #1
(female)

growla HB User
Unhappy Mom just diagnosed-BC

Wow, how quick life can change on ya! My mom just found out yesterday that the biopsy results were in that she had done last Wednesday. Apparently the tumor that they found(1cm) was malignant. I dont know much at all about what is going on. My mom and dad live just outside of St Louis and im in Tucson, Az. I hate not being able to be there with her. They are doing the lumpectomy today and have plans on doing Chemo and Radiation.Im not sure when or for how long..When they do the lumpectomy today the are supposed to be putting some dye in there to see if it has moved to the lymph nodes. Im scared but have much hope, its small, they found it early, sounds like good doctors, but I have so many questions and dont even know what questions to ask?! What are some of the important questions I should ask?

I had appendical cancer 1 1/2 years ago and I have been told I am too young(32yrs) for a mammogram. After a mother, sister, daughter is found with BC-are your chances of getting it great enough to warrent a mammo at this age?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!!

Bless all of you who are going through this.

Growla

Old 07-27-2006, 07:33 PM   #2
(female)

Iajc_2006 HB User
Re: Mom just diagnosed-BC

I am thankful my doctor recommended a baseline mammogram at the age of 35. However, a month prior to my 35th birthday, I noticed an unusual pain in my breast and opted to have the mammogram done just shy of my 35th birthday. I had breast cancer. Ironically, my mother was diagnosed with breast cancer just a month before I was!

You are NEVER "too young" to get breast cancer. A good childhood friend of mine was diagnosed with breast cancer at the age of 21 and didn't survive. I would go ahead and get a baseline mammogram since you are high-risk. I'm not a doctor, but I now play it safe!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-28-2006, 06:45 AM   #3
(female)

growla HB User

Thank you so much for responding! My mom just had another surgery yesterday. They needed to go back in and remove the rest of the lymph nodes under her arm because the biopsy they did 2 weeks ago came back cancer.She will have drain tubes until next week and starts physical therapy today. Then when she is feeling bettter they will do the Chemo and radiation. Its so hard being this far away. I have an appointment to see the doctor for a referral for a mammogram.

growla

Old 04-21-2007, 10:05 AM   #4
(female)

growla HB User

Good news! I was able to get a doc to get me a mammo and an ultrasound. Everything looks good and Im glad I have this as a refrence point for future mammos. My mom is now finished with chemo and radiation is is doing great! My hopes and prayers are with you all going through this.

Old 04-22-2007, 06:33 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hi Growla,
I loved reading this post.....I just read your posts for the first time and wasnt really paying attention to the dates. As my mom went through all this (except for chemo) - I was just about to reply and give you all kinds of advice and tell you what to expect and then I saw your last message. Didnt realize your original posts were from last year. While I was reading I was thinking, wow, what a long haul they have to go through, and then I thought, awww. this is awesome, they've finished their journey already and all is well!! God bless you, I know the sense of relief you have now its over and I'm so happy it worked out for you!!!

God bless you!
Carsam

Old 04-25-2007, 06:13 AM   #6
(female)

growla HB User

Hi Carsam and thanks so much for your kind words! My mom is actually comming to help me with my surgery on Friday. I have to have a laprascope, d and c and they are removing polyps from uterus.My husband left yesterday for the desert. My daughter has another facial infection. Will it ever end?? LOL...Seems like if it isnt one thing its 15 others LOL.. Thanks again and I hope you mom is doing well.

growla

Old 04-25-2007, 06:37 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Aww Growla, I'm sorry, what a pain for you to go through this!!!! I wish we could all be free of these "procedures" and all the anxiety that comes with them!!!
I hope everything goes "routine" and all is well. Please keep me posted and I will say a prayer tonight that it will go smoothly and positively for you.
How old is your daughter? Is is a dermatological thing she has? My son has eczema, I know these skin problems are tough to deal with.

Carsam

Old 04-25-2007, 07:23 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

willo1980 HB User

I am 27 and just had my first mammo and u/s yesterday for a suspiscious lump. You are NEVER too young to get breast cancer. They usually don't do mammo's in women under 40 because of their breast tissue being too dense. This can cause false negatives because of hidden tumors.

It is better to be safer than sorry! Insist on a mammo and u/s. If something is found, insist on a biopsy. Many women have gotten breast cancer before they were 30...35...even 40!

Old 04-26-2007, 12:46 AM   #9
(female)

Linda49er HB User

Hi Ladies,

Hey there again Carsam, nice to see you.

If they tell you you are too young for a mammogram (as they did my daughter in January 2006) I got on the phone with them and told them I am presenting receiving radiation for BC, we have a family history ANY she has a doctor's order because of a lump that was found in her breast. Protocols are not carved in stone as far as I am concerned lol.

Good news your mammogram/ultrasound came out good I would get copies of those written results and start a binder on any tests/labs you have for future use and for yourself.

Good luck on your laparoscopy and other procedures. Maybe things will slow down a bit for you soon.

Carsam, how is your mom doing? Haven't talked to you since my previous post to you.

Best wishes to you Growla
Linda

Closed Thread