It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-16-2006, 11:30 PM   #1
(female)

flygirl3 HB User
Wanted to give update on husband 37yrs., stage 3 rectal cancer

Hi all. I have not been on the boards here for quite sometime, as I wasn't sure if it was making my depression/anxiety worse. My husband is now starting his 5th week of chemo/radiation. He gets continuous 5fu infusion through the port along with radiation and a big blast of oxilpatinum and avastin 1 every 2 weeks. We are in the process of looking at surgeons for removal/resection. We are going to USC to a Dr. Beart who is supposed to be "the man" with this type of surgery. Unfortunately, he doesn't contract with any insurance companies.... But, we are still going to see him for a opinion.

My husband is miserable, pretty much just stays in bed. He told me today that he feels like he's dying---no energy and he said he feels like his tummy is rotting. I'm hoping/praying that it's just the cumulative affects of all of the treatments. Only 2 more weeks and then we are done until surgery. I still worry that it has spread or is worse than they have told us. The ct scan looked clean and to this day his bloodwork is good. The doctors tell me they won't get a "true" picture of what's going on until pathology reports come back after surgery. They won't do a pet scan until before surgery as well. They said they are being as aggressive as they can be right now anyways.

I've been trying to stay busy with the kids, and the house...my husband has pretty much shut down, which makes it hard. He said it hurts to talk so he pretty much just sleeps and watches tv.

I'm looking forward to this part of the treatment to end. Only 2 more weeks.

Praying for all of you,
Tonya

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-17-2006, 02:48 AM   #2
(female)

smeggle HB User
Re: Wanted to give update on husband 37yrs., stage 3 rectal cancer

hi flygirl,

my husband went through the same as yours, he completely shut down and wouldnt tell me how he was feeling, he was tired all the time, but we eventually got through it. the radiation made him tired and he always said it was worse than chemo and as a doctor once said to us they burnt his gut. i too kept myself busy which was good also having a little time out for yourself even just for five minutes. their is alot of pressure on everyone involved and i found it hard watching someone you love go through this and i no for my husband has a lot a guilt for what he says of putting me through this that i dont deserve this, no one does i tell him. but we made it and everything is looking good, nearly 3 years dx, 2 years since last treatment. but i always check the board for updates on see how people are going. keep your chin up.

Old 09-17-2006, 11:51 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

bossan HB User

I have described the side effects exactly as you say you husband is doing. I have told my wife and doctor that I feel like I'm dying. Chemo is exhausting and painful physically, I get depressed in a way I never have before treatments too. I finally got a break from it after over a year of chemo and I'm just now starting to feel a little bit better.

Old 09-17-2006, 05:20 PM   #4
(female)

cwl2006 HB User

My Husband Started Chemo Radiation A Week Ago. He Was Doing Fine Until This Past Weekend. He Has It Five Days A Week And Has Chemo Thru Port A Cath. Break On Weekends! I Noticed A Change This Weekend. He Is Very Tired And Does Not Eat Hardly Anything, But Boost Drinks. He Does Look Frail And White Today. He Has Had Diarrhea Bad Recently. I Feel Like He Needs To Mentally Get Out Of The House. I Tell Everyone That. Is This Norma?

First Experience For Me Concerning Cancer. I Definitely Have Learned All About It.

I Never Bring Up The Cancer Word At All Unless He Wants To Talk About It. I Try To Act Normal, But It Is Hard, Especially When He Has Those Moments. Moments When He Feels Like He Is Mad At The World. Do You Go Thru This?

Nancy
Chesterfield County, Va

Old 09-17-2006, 08:05 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

flintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB Userflintrock HB User

I think all you're describing is nornal. Those treatments are hell. Only way I know to put it. I have been through this with my mom and my elderly aunt, who just recently passed away. the chemo is hard on your body and the emotional stress is even worse. I pray for each of you as you battle this, and know that it will pass. Not sure if you all have read about the BRAT diet. When you are upset in stomach it is a very bland diet. B stands for bananas, R stands for rice, and A stands for applesauce and T stands for Toast. Try it, I hear good things about it. Good luck, and hand in there...prayers are with you!!

Old 09-18-2006, 09:13 AM   #6
(female)

hiswife1 HB User

My husband has been on chemo for the better part of 2 1/2 years. He has done really well for the most part but has had many days when he was so exhausted and felt like he was going to die. The chemo is so hard on the body and luckily my dh never had to have radiation, but a close friend of ours did and she felt even worse than my husband. So I think it is definately normal to feel this way.

One thing that happened to my dh was that he got extremely dehydrated due to explosive diarrhea. He would have to go in for fluids occasionally and it was surprising what this did for him. The chemo nurse said that when the diarrhea was so bad you couldn't drink enough fluids to replinish your system.

I keep you all in my prayers. dee

Closed Thread