It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-04-2007, 07:06 PM   #1
(female)

dixieagle HB User
Concern re: 22 y.o. daughter

Hello,

My 22 year old daughter has just been scheduled for a colonoscopy by her gastroenterologist. Her symptoms include moderate pain in the lower left quadrant, which is tender to the touch and worse when running, moving a certain way, etc., and occasionally a small amount of red blood in her stool. The pain has been there for months, apparently. This is not her first colonoscopy, as she had one about three years ago when hemorrhoids, though nothing else, were found (this slight bleeding is evidently too high up to be hemorrhoids, according to her dr.) She has had a couple of ultrasounds to rule out ovarian issues, an abdominal CT scan, endoscopy (GERD) and a few other things to determine the cause of fullness and nausea within the past year (treated successfully with Nexium.) Nothing of note showed up except a hiatal hernia and the GERD.

The gastroenterologist mentioned colitis and diverticulitis (I have had it since my early 40s, though it would be odd in a 22 year old.) I am worried at the possibility of colon cancer, though it would be unusual, I hope, for that to develop just three years after her last colonoscopy.

Any thoughts would be appreciated. The test is set for January 15.

Thanks.

Marie

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-04-2007, 08:30 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

edinaman HB User
Re: Concern re: 22 y.o. daughter

Dixi, it would be nice to say don't worry, but we know that as a mother you will. Colitis and div are not that uncommon in young people. One of our friends has a son who was just diagnosed with colitis at age 21. Colon cancer is uncommon at her age, but unfortunately it does happen. Whatever it is, you will learn to deal with it and find an inner strength that neither of you knew you had. Let's hope for the best, since chances are it is nothing serious. Please keep us informed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-05-2007, 03:01 PM   #3
(female)

dixieagle HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by edinaman
Dixi, it would be nice to say don't worry, but we know that as a mother you will. Colitis and div are not that uncommon in young people. One of our friends has a son who was just diagnosed with colitis at age 21. Colon cancer is uncommon at her age, but unfortunately it does happen. Whatever it is, you will learn to deal with it and find an inner strength that neither of you knew you had. Let's hope for the best, since chances are it is nothing serious. Please keep us informed.
Thanks so much for your support. This sweet girl has had just about every test known this last year, and we thought things had settled down. Hopefully we will discover something relatively minor. Can't get that test over and done with fast enough, though.

Marie

Old 01-21-2007, 10:13 PM   #4
(female)

dixieagle HB User

Just wanted to let you nice folks know that my daughter's colonoscopy went well, with only internal hemorrhoids found. Her dr. was pleased but astonished, and told me she had fully expected to find colitis. Great news, but the pain which sent her to the dr. in the first place is still there. On to checking the ovaries again, I guess...

Closed Thread