It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 08:04 AM   #1
(female)

deedee1119 HB User
Smile My mother has rectal cancer

Hello,
My mother has stage 3 rectal cancer. She had the colonscopy surgery in December. She is now afraid to eat anything . She eats only foods that she is finding out the hard way to stay away from. Can anyone help me to find a list of foods that she can and can not eat?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-20-2007, 03:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Nassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB UserNassau one HB User
Re: My mother has rectal cancer

I am sorry to hear about your mother. Does she have a colostomy? What problems is she having with different types of food. I think some more information will help us to advise. Is she getting chemotherapy and radiotherapy? It is often an individual thing as to what foods can be tolerated and is often a matter of trial and error.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2007, 08:38 AM   #3
(female)

deedee1119 HB User

Yes, my mother (WAS ) getting radiation/chemo treatments......she is now finished "THANK GOD" for all her treatments. But the food discussion is still at hand. The foods that she is (was ) eating was cabbage, corn, wheat bread, beans, nuts,and the list goes on.....etc. etc. she did have a colostomy in December. And her symptoms are things as stomach cramping and pain. Could this be that those type of foods that I have listed just not digest properly because she has the coloscopy bag? Im at a loss here not knowing what to do and trying to help my mother. I have read up on certain things about rectal cancer, its just so overwhelming some days. I hope the details help. Let me know.

Last edited by deedee1119; 03-05-2007 at 08:46 AM.

Old 03-05-2007, 09:51 PM   #4
Inactive
(female)

NaturalPeace HB User

deedee,

My dad also has a colostomy bag, he has had his for about 3 years now.

I tell you he eats about anything and every thing he can.

Popcorn will cause a sound when he empties as the kernels don't digest. We find it is important just as before to serve a balanced diet.

The only real problem we have found is the smell when he empties or burps his bag. It will bring tears to your eyes. If he has a lot of veggies it will knock a person out. We have found that running the bathroom fan and a good round of fabreze will take care of most of the smell.

I will dig thru all my paperwork and see if I can find the information I got when he first started with his bag.

Best of luck to you and your mother.

Natural Peace

Old 03-06-2007, 09:33 PM   #5
(female)

larbo's wife HB User

Hi, MY husband had an illeostomy for rectal cancer. He was lucky and his surgeon was able to reconnect him. He needed to eat lots of stool thickening foods with his ostomy. He only needed to avoid certain foods for a few weeks right after his operation. Your mother's nurses should have provided information on what foods to avoid (and for how long to avoid them) and also which food cause gas and odor. If I remember correctly foods such as celery, cabbage, tomatoes, nuts, lettuce, spinach, olives and mushrooms were to be totally avoided for 6 weeks following the operation. There may be more but I don't remember. After that they could be eaten but needed to be chewed well. How long since your mom's surgery? Another tip is to eat smaller amounts of food frequently instead of 1 or 2 large meals. Hope this helps, Kathy

Closed Thread