It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-20-2007, 10:52 PM   #1
(female)

Jill2112 HB User
Is my mom going to be okay?

My mom just had a breast surgery. She has to recover for about two weeks before she can begin radiation treatments which will last about 6 weeks. She seems okay and only had to stay one night in the hospital. The doctor did have to remove all the nodes because one had cancer. Anyone who has gone through this please let me know what I can do to help her and what to expect. I am especially worried because 4 of her sisters have died of cancer! One of breast cancer.

Old 02-22-2007, 05:10 PM   #2
(female)

scarletknight33 HB User
Re: Is my mom going to be okay?

Having had a friend with breast cancer, the best advice that I can give you is to try to be there as much as possible for mom. Often times, there are alot of emotions and it can be hard to keep yourself grounded. It is important to stay positive and try to keep mom positive. Unfortunately, there does seem to be a cancer gene in the family; however, there is hope for mom. I'm glad to know that mom had a successful surgery. Radiation and chemo might follow; however, now a days more and more people are surviving cancer diagnoses.

Hang in there.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2007, 06:26 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

mary09 HB Usermary09 HB Usermary09 HB User

Hi Jill,
I can certainly give you advice on this subject. I am 37 years old and my mom has had breast cancer twice. Second time she followed up with 20 sessions of radiation.
It is really hard to go through, both for her and for you. If you can, I suggest you go with her to her radiation sessions. I think it helped my mum alot to have me there. I couldnt go into the room, but I went through the process of going to the hospital every day with her as well, so she wasnt going there all the time alone.
It is not painful at all, more scary than anything. She will be more tired than anything.
What is your mom's prognosis? I hope that they were able to catch everything and that the radiation is just precautionary.
From now on, you and she will also worry, every mammogram, every pain, it's inevitable I'm afraid. We have had so many false worries. We just went through a biopsy because they found calcifications on her mammogram. These are calcium deposits but they can signify an underlying tumor. Thank God they came back clear just a few weeks ago, but she is going in for another surgery to remove the rest of the tissue and also some scar tissue.
I thought I could not go through this, but I did and that was 5 years ago. We also were sitting in the Radiation area, on Christmas Eve, her last treatment was New Years Eve. Tough time of year to be going through that.
Jill, if you have any questions, please feel free to post. I really do know what you're going through.
Also, there are some wonderful support groups, including this one, for your mom, she will need support as well and the ladies on these boards are wonderful.
Best wishes,
Caroline

Last edited by moderator2; 02-24-2007 at 08:10 PM.

Old 02-25-2007, 09:08 AM   #4
(female)

cody48 HB User

Jill, I really don't have much in the way of suggestions for you other than to be there for your Mom and be as positive as possible. She will have some bad days AND some good days.

You sound like a wonderful daughter and she is very lucky to have you. Prayers are with you both.

Old 03-14-2007, 03:30 PM   #5
(female)

Jill2112 HB User

Thanks for your post. I know it has been awhile since you wrote to me. Thanks for the info about what to expect. Thanks again! My mom is doing better than me!

Old 03-14-2007, 03:31 PM   #6
(female)

Jill2112 HB User

Thank you for your reply! Prayer is very important to our family and I thank you for yours!

Closed Thread