It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Family & Friends of Cancer Patients Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-22-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
(male)

evaness HB User
liver cancer and SSI

My friend just got diagnosed with liver cancer. He's thinking about moving to a state where he used to live that's a bit less hectic than NY. I think it's a good idea--he'll have a better chance of getting SSD/I, or a new liver.

Does anyone know if the SSA plays the same waiting game with terminally ill people that they do with the rest of us? I assume they must, and will initially deny his application, hoping he dies before a decision is handed down (currently it takes 9 months to a year in NYC to get an appeal processed).

If you die before your case gets decided, can your spouse receive the benefits? I was thinking if that's the case he should marry his ex. But then he pointed out she makes enough money(60K) to disqualify him from getting a check.

Old 04-22-2007, 11:32 PM   #2
(female)

sherry77 HB User
Re: liver cancer and SSI

I have been trying to get my SSD for about 4 years now and have learned alot about SSD. I really don't think they would deny your friend his SSD in the first go around. I have heard that if you go for your SSD and this will result in death then they do not deny you and with him being terminally ill I really think that they will approve his application. I hope he has good doctors reports that does make a difference. Good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2007, 09:39 AM   #3
(male)

coupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB Usercoupe HB User

my first wife's most recent husband,(she's had 3 since me) was diagnosed with late stage lung cancer. he applied for SSDI. he died 4 months later. because of the 5 month waiting period he received nothing at all! I think she might have gotten the $250.00 burial widow's benefit. not sure though?

Larry/coupe

Old 04-23-2007, 05:31 PM   #4
(female)

tweiler HB User

my mom fought for several years and had to go to fed court to get her SSD. She was approved in 10/2001. Whe she died in 4/2002, the back benefits had not been received. It came in the week after she died, my dad went down to the SS office and they told him to come back w/ check & official death certificate. They processed it and within 2 weeks he had an identical check made out to him, as beneficary of my mom. It can take a while to get the check reissued but my dad was in the process of applying himself and they rush processed the new check because he was getting ready to move to handicap housing and desperately needed the money.

Closed Thread